List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Rarely how trades work these days. He will make his choice and we will have to deal with it.
Very true, I wonder if he will go where the cash is. His earning window is much smaller than most.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I think Hawks and us are actually both in a very similar situation. That is, both old teams not in contention to win a flag, and therefore at the crossroads with respects to their lists.

Hawks currently the oldest team (9 players over-30)
Crows currently the 2nd oldest team (7 players over-30).

Collingwood, West Coast & Geelong are the 3rd-5th oldest teams, but at least they are in contention for a flag (Pies, admittedly, not looking so good over the last month).
Agree. They rely on their over 30s more than we rely on ours. Unfortunate a couple of our under 30s are just about cooked too.

I doubt we would be able to their strategy of rebuilding with established 24 year olds (Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard...Coniglio?). Like most sports leagues, established AFL players gravitate to big markets.

We are a small market team and the most viable strategy is rebuilding through the draft. Except that we do not bottom out. So it shall be 5th-12th forever.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Very true, I wonder if he will go where the cash is. His earning window is much smaller than most.
I would guess he goes for a decent payday and the chance to win rather than the biggest possible payday.

A club like Gold Coast would probably be better off using their salary cap to retain their kids. Why spend 300k upgrading Anthony Miles to Hugh Greenwood. If they want a mature body to protect their kids there’s enough of those basically for free.

St Kilda unlikely to be dumb enough to make a big offer. Carlton for a future 2nd? Haha...

Greenwood to a club like Hawthorn or Essendon IMO.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I would guess he goes for a decent payday and the chance to win rather than the biggest possible payday.

A club like Gold Coast would probably be better off using their salary cap to retain their kids. Why spend 300k upgrading Anthony Miles to Hugh Greenwood. If they want a mature body to protect their kids there’s enough of those basically for free.

St Kilda unlikely to be dumb enough to make a big offer. Carlton for a future 2nd? Haha...

Greenwood to a club like Hawthorn or Essendon IMO.
Hugh for Orazio.... done.

I wish.

Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wat

View attachment 707277

So your valuing Hughey as worth pick 42 which is what the Cats gave the Blues for Kreuger as part of their State League compensation? Think Hugh's worth at least an early 2nd - mid 2nd round pick personally.....Kreuger yet to debut for Geelong as well.
I’ve watched the kid play in the VFL, he has the X factor we are missing. Kid can play forward and wing atm and I can see him develop into an outside mid. Has a massive standing vert, and huge speed.Greenwood barracked for Geelong before coming to the crows.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
Would have thought that Greenwood’s ability to take a contested mark and kick a straight ball would be worth having a look at as a Gunston style third forward.

I realise Lynch plays the roaming third forward role currently.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have heard that Jake Kelly has been "missing home". This is from the partner of a Crows staff member. She's had conversations with him in the past but this was the first time he'd said something like that.

Not at all saying he's home-sick, but might be more to this come October.
I remember there was a story or article on Kelly this year that said he is happier because he has shifted his focus to things outside of football. He's stopped watching any football on the weekend and focuses on life outside of football which has given him the balance he needed.

Perhaps this balance is what's driving him to consider moving home?

Have heard that Jake Kelly has been "missing home". This is from the partner of a Crows staff member. She's had conversations with him in the past but this was the first time he'd said something like that.

Not at all saying he's home-sick, but might be more to this come October.

He is one of the players we'd need to upgrade in the future and potentially allows us to keep Doedee/Keath in a one-two punch. Good timing if so.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
I’ve watched the kid play in the VFL, he has the X factor we are missing. Kid can play forward and wing atm and I can see him develop into an outside mid. Has a massive standing vert, and huge speed.Greenwood barracked for Geelong before coming to the crows.
Nobody's arguing Kreuger doesn't have good athleticism and pace but realistically what would you be prepared to give up to get him? And btw you're dreaming if you think he'll furnish into a midfielder. Stephen Wells who is a pretty fair judge of talent said they nabbed him with the view he could play Key Position at either end of the ground. They used pick 42 they got from Brisbane for Lincoln McCarthy from memory so I reckon Brisbane would be pretty satisfied with their end of the deal at this point.

Only going OK in the VFL playing mainly forward

10 matches
avg. Disposals 9.4
Goals.Behinds 16.6
avg. Kicks 6.3
avg. Handballs 3.1
avg. Marks 4.2
avg.Tackles 2.4
avg. Hit Outs 0.6

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Would have thought that Greenwood’s ability to take a contested mark and kick a straight ball would be worth having a look at as a Gunston style third forward.

I realise Lynch plays the roaming third forward role currently.
Unfortunately it's getting late in Hughey's career to be developing a Gunston like roaming forward's tank.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Unfortunately it's getting late in Hughey's career to be developing a Gunston like roaming forward's tank.
Given we are likely to lose CEY and delist/trade Wilson, Poholke and Dougy thats a fair amount of our midfield types off our list. Granted we are likely in a position to draft Anderson.

If Hugh is chasing coin then let him, but if he and his manager are being reasonable it's worth keeping him.

I'd kill to be a list manager, but man it's a tough job.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Given we are likely to lose CEY and delist/trade Wilson, Poholke and Dougy thats a fair amount of our midfield types off our list. Granted we are likely in a position to draft Anderson.

If Hugh is chasing coin then let him, but if he and his manager are being reasonable it's worth keeping him.

Dylan won't be traded or cut.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

We'd trade Hugh because we're keeping CEY.

Greenwood isn't exclusively chasing money, but has said in the past it'll be a part of his decision, he's 6-7 years behind every other AFL player on earnings.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Greenwood isn't exclusively chasing money, but has said in the past it'll be a part of his decision, he's 6-7 years behind every other AFL player on earnings.
I have no issue with this at all. I like Hugh and do feel he suffers from being a utility. I wonder if he had 2-3 games doing Lynch's role how he would go (recognising fitness concerns)

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Atkins, Rory - age: 25 - Trade. 3rd round.
Betts, Eddie - age: 32.6 - Retire. Early retirement payout.
Brown, Luke - age: 26.8 - Keep
Butts, Jordon R - age: 19.5 - Keep
Crouch, Brad - age: 25.5 - Keep
Crouch, Matt - age: 24.2 - Keep
Davis, Ben - age: 22.1 - Keep
Doedee, Tom - age: 22.4 - Keep. Future captain.
Douglas, Richard - age: 32.4 - Retire.
Ellis-Yolmen, Cameron R - age: 26.4 - Keep
Fogarty, Darcy - age: 19.8 - Keep
Gallucci, Jordan - age: 21.2 - Keep
Gibbs, Bryce - age: 30.3 - Trade. 3rd round.
Greenwood, Hugh - age: 27.3 - Trade. 2nd round.
Hamill, Will - age: 18.6 - Keep
Hartigan, Kyle - age: 27.7 - Keep. Backup.
Himmelberg, Elliott - age: 21.1 - Keep
Hunter, Paul R - age: 26.4 - Delist
Jacobs, Sam - age: 31.2 - Retire.
Jenkins, Josh - age: 30.4 - Keep. Backup.
Jones, Chayce - age: 19.5 - Keep
Keath, Alex - age: 27.5 - Keep
Kelly, Jake - age: 24.5 - Trade. 3rd round.
Knight, Riley - age: 24.3 - Trade. 3rd round.
Laird, Rory - age: 25.5 - Trade. 1st round. Pick 10-15.
Lynch, Tom - age: 28.8 - Keep
MacKay, David - age: 31 - Retire.
McAdam, Shane - age: 24.1 - Keep
McHenry, Ned - age: 19 - Keep
McPherson, Andrew - age: 20.1 - Keep
Milera, Wayne - age: 21.8 - Keep
Murphy, Lachlan R - age: 20.6 - Keep
O'Brien, Reilly - age: 23.9 - Keep
Otten, Andy - age: 30.2 - Retire
Poholke, Myles - age: 21 - Trade. 3rd round.
Seedsman, Paul - age: 27.5 - Keep
Sholl, Lachlan - age: 19.3 - Keep
Sloane, Rory - age: 29.3 - Keep
Smith, Brodie - age: 27.5 - Keep
Stengle, Tyson - age: 20.7 - Keep
Strachan, Kieran R - age: 23.8 - Keep
Talia, Daniel - age: 27.8 - Keep
Walker, Taylor - age: 29.2 - Retire. Early retirement payout.
Wilson, Patrick R - age: 24.6 - Delist.

In summary:
Players not on our list 2020
Atkins, Betts, Douglas, Gibbs, Greenwood, Hunter, Jacob's, Kelly, Knight, Laird, Mackay, Otten, Poholke, Walker, Wilson.
Essentially 6 best 22 players in Atkins, Betts, Greenwood, Kelly, Laird and Walker would not continue with us next year.
I would bring in Jones (for Atkins), Stengle (for Betts), Fogarty/Himmelberg (for Walker), Doedee( (for Kelly), Pick 2 (hopefully Anderson for Greenwood), Mcpherson/Sholl/Hamill (for Laird).

Reasoning for the changes:
15 changes. 9 changes essentially and 6 retirements(Otten, Mackay, Douglas, Jacob's, Betts, Walker). The retirements are basically fixing an issue which the club has not dealt with previously. The fact they all fall on the same year is poor management by the club but needs to be done. Granted 2 of the 6 retirements in Betts and Walker are early payouts but their form does not warrant a continuation of their career and it's time to back in the new brigade who will be part of the next flag.

9 changes:
Hunter, Wilson, Poholke. Not best 22 and will not make it.
Atkins, Gibbs, Greenwood, Kelly, Knight. Borderline 22 and reached ceiling. Most if not all on the decline.
Laird: All Australian but needs a change and a new challenge. Has trade value. Win win trade.

Picks we will have:
Pick 2 (carlton), Pick 10-15(Laird), Pick 20(2nd round carlton), 1 x 2nd round pick, 5 x 3rd round picks. (9 picks in the draft).

Captain: Rory Sloane
VC: Tom Doedee.

Coach? Best available.

Nett result:
I believe we can still make the finals next year and will be building towards the next flag.

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Atkins, Rory - age: 25 - Trade
Betts, Eddie - age: 32.6 - Retire. Early retirement payout.
Brown, Luke - age: 26.8 - Keep
Butts, Jordon R - age: 19.5 - Keep
Crouch, Brad - age: 25.5 - Keep
Crouch, Matt - age: 24.2 - Keep
Davis, Ben - age: 22.1 - Keep
Doedee, Tom - age: 22.4 - Keep. Future captain.
Douglas, Richard - age: 32.4 - Delist.
Ellis-Yolmen, Cameron R - age: 26.4 - Keep
Fogarty, Darcy - age: 19.8 - Keep
Gallucci, Jordan - age: 21.2 - Keep
Gibbs, Bryce - age: 30.3 - Trade
Greenwood, Hugh - age: 27.3 - Trade
Hamill, Will - age: 18.6 - Keep
Hartigan, Kyle - age: 27.7 - Keep. Backup.
Himmelberg, Elliott - age: 21.1 - Keep
Hunter, Paul R - age: 26.4 - Delist
Jacobs, Sam - age: 31.2 - Delist
Jenkins, Josh - age: 30.4 - Keep. Backup.
Jones, Chayce - age: 19.5 - Keep
Keath, Alex - age: 27.5 - Keep
Kelly, Jake - age: 24.5 - Trade
Knight, Riley - age: 24.3 - Trade
Laird, Rory - age: 25.5 - Trade
Lynch, Tom - age: 28.8 - Keep
MacKay, David - age: 31 - Delist
McAdam, Shane - age: 24.1 - Keep
McHenry, Ned - age: 19 - Keep
McPherson, Andrew - age: 20.1 - Keep
Milera, Wayne - age: 21.8 - Keep
Murphy, Lachlan R - age: 20.6 - Keep
O'Brien, Reilly - age: 23.9 - Keep
Otten, Andy - age: 30.2 - Delist
Poholke, Myles - age: 21 - Trade
Seedsman, Paul - age: 27.5 - Keep
Sholl, Lachlan - age: 19.3 - Keep
Sloane, Rory - age: 29.3 - Keep
Smith, Brodie - age: 27.5 - Keep
Stengle, Tyson - age: 20.7 - Keep
Strachan, Kieran R - age: 23.8 - Keep
Talia, Daniel - age: 27.8 - Keep
Walker, Taylor - age: 29.2 - Retire. Early retirement payout.
Wilson, Patrick R - age: 24.6 - Delist.

In summary:
Players not on our list 2020
Atkins, Betts, Douglas, Gibbs, Greenwood, Hunter, Jacob's, Kelly, Knight, Laird, Mackay, Otten, Poholke, Walker, Wilson.
Get rid of 16 players after making the finals

Why not haha haha I suppose if you have NFI

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bonkers000

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

What are you basing this off? Did I miss something?

Back