VFL 2021 VFL list changes & discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's surprising how many diehard fans clubs like Williamstown still have. Unfortunately I didn't see the VFA in it's glory days.
I'm not old enough for it's glory days either, but in the 80s and 90s, the VFA was bloody entertaining. I don't know if it was to do with 16 a side or that it was less professional, but it always seemed to have much bigger personalities than the AFL.

Well us in the west hate Casey

Stunning ground in good weather

Stunning

Sadly that is never during Winter.

Casey at least has Cover in the Outer and not Unwatchable Footy

Interesting. Can't see him getting too many VFL opportunities given we'll already have Lynch and Cameron to squeeze into the side. Is Lachy Howe sticking around for 2020?

Interesting. Can't see him getting too many VFL opportunities given we'll already have Lynch and Cameron to squeeze into the side. Is Lachy Howe sticking around for 2020?

I doubt Howe be back after that Signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our VFL side is purely developmental for our AFL listed players, however part of that development is winning.

Winning breeds hunger, drive and a good culture.

Sadly in 2019 we missed the finals, but hopefully we can have the reserves play VFL finals in 2020 at a minimum.

Our VFL side is purely developmental for our AFL listed players, however part of that development is winning.

Winning breeds hunger, drive and a good culture.

Sadly in 2019 we missed the finals, but hopefully we can have the reserves play VFL finals in 2020 at a minimum.

Us missing VFL Seasons has Hurt the AFL Final's Campaign as players not ready to come Straight In

Did you go to see it Jen?

I can't imagine it was a particularly contested match with so many players having finished their season with no chance of finals.
I attempted to, then got sidetracked chatting to a friend into the holden centre lol But as I walked by, looked close enough to a VFL match. I guess they still put the work into the game even if it means nothing, even if just to put their case forward to get a call up for finals in the senior side.

Rule changes for 2020 confirmed, justified on the weird basis of aligning VFL and NEAFL list structures over the next 3 years. Two separate comps don't need the same list management rules, so it very much suggests a move towards an AFL reserves comp. Will we see a VFL and NEAFL merger in 2023 before a whole national reserves down the track?

Arguably the biggest rule change is the need to include 2 developing players each match; the previous 23rd man remains with the 22nd player now required to be a 19 year old development player. With teams having more developing players in their side it will make experienced VFL players even more important.

The rules changes have been introduced following a review into the VFL and NEAFL competitions by the AFL Football Operations department and league managers.

The review found list sizes, structure and access to additional players for AFL clubs varied greatly between the two State League competitions.

As such, the AFL Football Operations department, together with the VFL and NEAFL clubs, will work together to achieve greater consistency across the competitions over a three-year period.
Summary of VFL rules changes:

• VFL clubs will have a development list introduced, made up of 19-year-old players.
  • All clubs will be required to play 23 players per match, which will include 1 x 19-year-old development player and 1 x under-21 player (i.e traditional 23rd player).
  • List structures for 2020 will be as follows:
    • Non-AFL clubs can list up to 46 players, including 40 x primary listed players and 6 development list players.
    • AFL aligned clubs can list up to 36 players, including 30 x primary listed players and 6 x development list players.
    • AFL clubs can list up to 30 players, including 24 x primary list players and 6 x development list players.
  • An additional rookie list of two players is available to all VFL teams which will include NGA players and players who meet the AFL category B Rookie criteria.
  • A father/son rule will be introduced in 2020 which allows a club to list a player whose father played 100 games or more for the club (including AFL and AFL aligned clubs). These players will be listed on a club’s development list.
  • Aside from current finals eligibility rules, no other playing restrictions will apply in the finals series.

Summary of NEAFL rule changes:

• Non-AFL clubs can list up to 40 players, including 35 x primary listed players and 5 x development list players.
  • AFL clubs permitted to list seven (7) players, including up to two (2) mature-age players and five (5) 19-year-old academy players.
  • A permit system will be in place for non-selected 19-year-old academy players to be eligible for selection by a non-AFL club.
  • Non-AFL club listed players can nominate as two-way players, who will available to play for either an AFL club or non-AFL club subject to selection.
  • All clubs will be required to play 23 players per match, which will include 1 x 19-year-old academy players for AFL clubs and 1 x development player (i.e traditional 23rd player) for non-AFL clubs.
  • Aside from current finals eligibility rules, no other playing restrictions will apply in the finals series.

Yeah.
Tell that to the VFL players who play for us.
The club does.

Whilst we would prefer to win, the entire concept of the VFL team is to develop players and the results are secondary.
Same as Essendon VFL

The club does.

Whilst we would prefer to win, the entire concept of the VFL team is to develop players and the results are secondary.
Same as Essendon VFL

Well might hurt the 1sts they make Finals and 2nds Don't

VFL results are irrelevant.

The VFL is just a development comp for us and I am all for that. Get games into as many of our youth as we can over picking up retired players like Deledio.

Ideally, we sneak in to the 8 and get an extra game of footy, if our senior team makes the top 8 this year.

VFL results are irrelevant.

The VFL is just a development comp for us and I am all for that. Get games into as many of our youth as we can over picking up retired players like Deledio.

Ideally, we sneak in to the 8 and get an extra game of footy, if our senior team makes the top 8 this year.

Could say missing the VFL Finals cost us the 2018 Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back