2019/20 W-League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. The doctors put Raso's arm in a makeshift sling from her jersey as she left the ground. I hope it isn't a dislocated shoulder or anything that serious.

The return match from last night's game is in Epping on a Friday night at 5pm. Seriously could the W League be any more clueless about fixturing?

Almost half the players in the Melbourne City line up today have worn Canberra Green previously, Kinga, Carpenter, Van Egmond, Checker and Williams.

Almost half the players in the Melbourne City line up today have worn Canberra Green previously, Kinga, Carpenter, Van Egmond, Checker and Williams.

Sounds like it was very strategic recurring from city. Makes sense with Canberra being the best side (overall) over the past decade.

Sounds like it was very strategic recurring from city. Makes sense with Canberra being the best side (overall) over the past decade.
I’m pretty sure three of them played in our last championship. Williams, Van Egmond and Checker.

United were a little unlucky today. While it was a penalty I think we should have been ahead, Cross missed a couple of relatively easy shots, you’d hope she would have connected with one. Khakis was unlucky not to save the penalty as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would need to be pretty hardcore to drive from Melbourne to Shepparton and back again for a double header.

Its only a 2 hour drive (4 and a bit all up), which isnt too bad. And with the time of the final game you may as well stay the night

I’m pretty sure three of them played in our last championship. Williams, Van Egmond and Checker.

You're talking about the grand final they won in Perth against the Glory. That's quite a few seasons ago now. Melbourne City came in the year after Canberra won and did the 3peat in their first 3 years - pulling a lot of players from other clubs.

Williams fair enough - she had been one of the mainstays at Canberra - except for that season when she did her knee (which was the year Canberra last won it - so she missed out on that Grand Final), but Checker and Van Egmond were only at Canberra for one or two seasons each out of about 9 or 10 years.

Would think Van Egmond was in Europe back when Canberra last one, but has pretty much been a Newcastle United player most of her time in the W League,

Its very hard to find one club players in the W-League. Polkinghorne is about the only one I can think of the players who have also represented the Matildas.

Last edited:
W-League 3 Fixture:

Thursday 28th November
Brisbane Roar V Western Sydney Wanderers, Lions Stadium 7:30 ESDT 6:30pm EST, Fox Sport

Saturday 30th November
Newcastle Jets V Canberra United Hunter Stadium, 4:30pm ESDT
Melbourne City V Adelaide United, John McEwan Reserve, 7:00pm ESDT

Sunday 1st December

Perth Glory V SydneyFC, Dorrien Gardens, 4:00pm ESDT 1:00pm WST ABC TV (check local guides) Fox Sports

Bye: Melbourne Victory

W-League Round 4

Thursday 5th December
Canberra United V Brisbane Roar, McKellar Park, 7:30pm ESDT (Fox Sports)

Saturday 7th December
Melbourne Victory V Western Sydney, Latrobe City Stadium, 4:00pm ESDT
Perth Glory V Newcastle Jets, Dorrien Gardens, 7:15pm ESDT 10:15pm WST

Sunday 8th December
Sydney FC V Melbourne City, Cromer Park, 4:00pm ESDT (ABC TV Check Local Guides, FOX Sports)

Thanks to the A Leagues desire to play a lot of women's football in regional areas, neither Melbourne team has actually played a home game in metropolitan Melbourne so far this season. I don't think that happens until the week after next.

Really weird fixturing when you see the Sydney and Brisbane teams have played multiple home games in urban stadia.

That's what happens when you insist they play at suburban/regional pitches instead of those that are professionally curated

I reckon my child played on better pitches in the winter competition this year. You can see puffs of dirt bounce when the ball hits the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back