2019/20 W-League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne City v Newcastle Jets, originally scheduled for 19 January 2020 at CB Smith Reserve, is now the curtain raiser for the A League game at AAMI Park on 18 January.

Big crowd here tonight at ABD Stadium. City worth every inch of their 3-0 lead and Canberra will be upset with their keeper, who gave away two silly penalties, including one a moment before half time.

Luik is dominating midfield. Everything starts with her. Interesting to see City push Catley and Carpenter forward. They're bona fide wingers, not wing-backs.

Big crowd here tonight at ABD Stadium. City worth every inch of their 3-0 lead and Canberra will be upset with their keeper, who gave away two silly penalties, including one a moment before half time.

Luik is dominating midfield. Everything starts with her. Interesting to see City push Catley and Carpenter forward. They're bona fide wingers, not wing-backs.

Crowd looks pretty decent too, It's a nice little stadium there in Broady!

Crowd looks pretty decent too, It's a nice little stadium there in Broady!

Yeah. We got there about 10 minutes before kickoff and there weren't many seats in the stand. But the stand is actually quite small, so there were probably a few hundred all up.

Van Egmond scored an absolute cracker in the second half. Great goal, but helped by the fact the Canberra goalkeeper is probably 5 foot 5.

Great to see so many players stay out post match and signs autographs and pose for photos. Young girl next to us got Ellie Carpenter's headband. Great moment for her, especially when Ellie signed it. My family member got photos with most of the City players as well as Simone Charley (Portland Thorns and Canberra United).

Carpenter and Roestbakken had a ding dong battle in the second half and the honours were pretty even. But Roestbakken couldn't push forward too often, so I would have to say from a strategy perspective, Carpenter took the points.

W-League Round 10

Thursday 16th January
SydneyFC V Brisbane Roar, Leichardt Oval, 7:30pm ESDT (FOX Sports)

Saturday 18th January
Melbourne City V Newcastle Jets, AAMI Park, 5:00pm ESDT
Adelaide United V Melbourne Victory, Marden Sports Arena, 7:30pm ESDT 7:00pm CSDT

Sunday 19th January
Western Sydney Wanders V Perth Glory, BankWest Stadium, 4:00pm ESDT (FOX Sports, ABC TV check local guides)

Bye:
Canberra United

W-League Round 11

Thursday 23rd January
Newcastle Jets V Perth Glory, McDonald Jones Stadium, 7:30pm ESDT

Saturday 25th January
Adelaide United V Western Sydney Wanderers, Marden Sports Arena, 7:30pm ESDT 7:00pm CSDT

Sunday 26th January
Melbourne Victory V Canberra United, Lakeside Stadium, 4:00pm ESDT

Bye:
Melbourne City, SydneyFC, Perth Glory

Went to Melbourne Victory v Canberra United on Australia Day, down at Lakeside Stadium. A lot more civilised than having to trek to Epping or Broadmeadows to watch the game.

Pretty one sided affair that Victory won 4-0, although Canberra did have their moments. Dowie could have had a hat trick but her radar was awry on too many occasions.

Canberra's trouble is that, beyond Charley and Camila, without Roestbakken, they simply do not have enough quality to match it with the top teams. It's my major concern with the proposed expansion to 10 teams.

Oldest was chuffed to have been gifted a signed ball post match from Emily Menges, who plays with the Victory on loan from Portland Thorns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks saves me posting the fixture :)

I'm going to Victory v City. Should be a cracking match. Both teams in excellent form and both with a stack of international players on their books. Victory needs a win to hold off the Roar to finish in the finals. City could put one hand on the plate with a win.

City was irresistible and probably would have won whatever Hopkins did, but I did feel that Hopkins didn't help his own cause with his formation. He started with a 3-4-2-1, which essentially was a 5-2-2-1. It left Jenkins having to be wary of Catley and that meant Jenkins couldn't get forward to support and feed Dowie. Hopkins also relegated Ayres to the bench and the Victory midfield struggled to keep the ball against the midfield of Kinga, Luik, Van Egmond, Symon and Catley.

It is interesting to see that City play a back three and push Catley and Carpenter essentially as left and right wingers. Catley dominated Jenkins on the left and Carpenter also was dangerous on the right.

Van Egmond scored again, of course, and City were essentially invincible. It will take something special to beat them, the way they are playing.

Ally Watt had a cameo at the end of the game. She is young, having been drafted with the sixth overall pick by the North Carolina Courage in the most recent draft. She has speed to burn. Unfortunately she and Kinga nicked off to the dressing rooms before my family member could get their autographs.

Japan is launching a fully professional women's league from September 2021. I can foresee this being attractive to a number of Australian and Australian-based players. Similar time zone to the east coast of Australia and obviously the professional aspect of it may attract a number of players in the W League.

Last edited:
Japan is launching a fully professional women's league from September 2021. I can foresee this being attractive to a number of Australian and Australian-based players. Similar time zone to the earth coast of Australia and obviously the professional aspect of it may attract a number of players in the W League.

It will depend on what the Ffa/clubs decides to do with the w-league. ATM it looks like there will at least be another side competing in next years competition (and hopefully a greater plan on a professional/longer season). From what I gather (mainly from articles and posts on several forums) the Ffa is very happy for players to go overseas (especially Europe) as they have a much better competition and better players (similar to what is/has happening/happened with the men’s).

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

W-League Round 13

Thursday 20th February
Western Sydney Wanders V Melbourne City, Marconi Stadium, 7:30pm (FOX Sports)

Saturday 22 February
SydneyFC V Perth Glory, WIN Stadium, 4:00pm

Sunday 23rd February
Newcastle Jets V Melbourne Victory, No.2 Sportsground, 4:00pm (ABC TV check local guides, FOX Sports)
Brisbane Roar V Canberra United, Lions Stadium, 5:30pm

Bye: Adelaide United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back