2019/20 W-League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
City only need one point from their remaining two matches to secure the minor premiership and will be gunning for an undefeated season. With Western Sydney Wanderers losing Lynn Williams and Denise O'Sullivan in quick succession, they're up against it tonight, one would think.

Victory needs a point to secure fourth place while Brisbane needs to win and hope Victory loses in order to stay in with a shout of playing finals.

Sydney needs a point from one of its two remaining games to secure home ground advantage for the playoffs, except the grand final.

Last edited by a moderator:
What have we done to deserve Brantz commentating Sunday afternoon matches? She is awful, when she can be bothered to talk about the action in front of her. Brantz and Harper wasted five minutes talking about the ******* A League team.

What A result!

Set the record for the biggest turnaround from one game to the next. Lost 4-0 to City and then won 7-0, so +11 turnaround.

Dowie had more touches in the first half against Newcastle than she did for the whole match against City. Just demonstrates how far ahead City is this season.

Set the record for the biggest turnaround from one game to the next. Lost 4-0 to City and then won 7-0, so +11 turnaround.

Dowie had more touches in the first half against Newcastle than she did for the whole match against City. Just demonstrates how far ahead City is this season.

City is just full of all star quality which has almost always been the case since their entry. It’s hard to compare victory playing against the jets and city (a kin to comparing Liverpool with a team at the bottom of pl or top of the championship), but the point does still stand.

City is just full of all star quality which has almost always been the case since their entry. It’s hard to compare victory playing against the jets and city (a kin to comparing Liverpool with a team at the bottom of pl or top of the championship), but the point does still stand.

It is more a reflection of the quality of the remainder of the league than anything else. City is streets ahead but I think it is a little concerning that Victory could turn around and thump Newcastle on their home patch after being outclassed by City the previous week.

The league is talking about expanding for next season and I think that would be a mistake because I don't think there is enough quality in the league to support two extra teams.

It is more a reflection of the quality of the remainder of the league than anything else. City is streets ahead but I think it is a little concerning that Victory could turn around and thump Newcastle on their home patch after being outclassed by City the previous week.

The league is talking about expanding for next season and I think that would be a mistake because I don't think there is enough quality in the league to support two extra teams.

I personally don’t think expanding is a bad idea, especially as they are only suggesting one side, but there needs to be a lot more done in order to create a league that is able to compete with the likes of city (and Sydney and, historically, Canberra). IMO the limited expansion of the league, as well as the lengthening of the competition will assist to some extent (and are both needed, atleast to make the number of teams even). But as you have hinted at, there needs to be an increase in funding from all parties in order to obtain a league that is of quality throughout.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

W-League Round 14

Thursday 27th February
Adelaide United V Newcastle Jets, Marden Sports Complex, 7:30pm ESDT 7:00pm CST (FOX Sports)

Saturday 29th February
Melbourne Victory V Sydney FC, Marvel Stadium, 5:00pm ESDT (Fox Sports)
Perth Glory V Western Sydney Wanderers, WML Stadium, 10:15pm ESDT 7:15pm WST

Sunday 1st March
Melbourne City V Brisbane Roar, AAMI Park, 4:00pm ESDT

Bye:
Canberra United

Expecting City to rest a few players on Sunday. Qualifier the following Friday, then the first round of the playoffs, I think, followed by the second leg of the qualifier.

I think Victory needs to defeat Sydney to secure a home semi final. They could be playing each other in the semi finals.

Wanderers are grimly hanging on to a spot in the finals and need to arrest their slide. They get a couple of key players back so that should help them.

W-League Finals Week 1

Semi Final 2 14th March
Melbourne Victory V Sydney FC

Epping Stadium, 2:00pm ESDT, Broadcast ABC TV, FOX Sports

Semi Final 1 15th March
Melbourne City V Western Sydney Wanderers

ABD Stadium, 1:20pm ESDT, Broadcast ABC TV, FOX Sports

Last edited:
W-League Finals Week 1

Semi Final 2 14th March
Melbourne City V Sydney FC

Epping Stadium, 2:00pm ESDT, Broadcast ABC TV, FOX Sports

Semi Final 1 15th March
Melbourne City V Western Sydney Wanderers

ABD Stadium, 1:20pm ESDT, Broadcast ABC TV, FOX Sports

Going to be tough for City to back up 2 days in a row :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to the Grand Prix, so unless the weekend is cancelled, will be missing both fixtures. Disappointed but not surprised that the matches are scheduled in the boondocks rather than at AAMI Park like previous W League seasons.

The standard of refereeing in the W-League is terrible. The referee for the Victory v Sydney match carded Angie Beard when the Sydney player tripped on the ball and carded Dowie when Dowie clearly accidentally hit a Sydney player. And Sydney win by a goal where there was a clear handball against the Sydney player overlooked that allowed Sydney to keep the ball in the Victory third of the pitch.

Victory would have every right to be filthy post match. Shocking display of refereeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back