Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
C’mon now...
I agree that it’s very unlikely. Was just thinking out aloud and trying to get my head around it. Seems more likely that the regular season is done and dusted and straight into playoffs. I don’t honestly know if the NHL has scope to end the season later or not

PalaceGun

Brownlow Medallist
May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Raith Rovers
I agree that it’s very unlikely. Was just thinking out aloud and trying to get my head around it. Seems more likely that the regular season is done and dusted and straight into playoffs. I don’t honestly know if the NHL has scope to end the season later or not
More chance of Donald “Not My Fault” Trump admitting he ****ed up by firing the entire US pandemic response team in 2018 than the NHL compressing the season in that manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agent93

#RebelforLife
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
C’mon now...
You're right, there's a mandate in the CBA that NHL players can only play 2 nights in a row, maximum. In the AHL it's 3.

I think it's more likely the lose games this season or next. IMO I think the easiest play is to shorten this season, and make the playoffs best of 5.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bleacher Report said back in 2012/2013 that a second canceled NHL season would be a “kiss of death” for the league. I have imagined based upon scholarly reading that whilst it is plausible that the NBA could and will resume its season behind closed doors once all NBA players are clear of COVID-19, the much more attendance-based NHL would simply lose further money playing without gate revenues. (MLB is similar to the NHL).

A third canceled or interrupted season in fifteen years stands unprecedented for any established sports league in peacetime. Extension of the COVID-19 pandemic into the 2020/2021 season is not implausible – if that occurred would the league combine the two seasons into one?

Since the 2012/2013 lockout, has the NHL done anything to make itself in Bleacher Reportʼs words “more resilient” and to cope with its seemingly never-ending crises?

Agent93

#RebelforLife
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Bleacher Report said back in 2012/2013 that a second canceled NHL season would be a “kiss of death” for the league. I have imagined based upon scholarly reading that whilst it is plausible that the NBA could and will resume its season behind closed doors once all NBA players are clear of COVID-19, the much more attendance-based NHL would simply lose further money playing without gate revenues. (MLB is similar to the NHL).

A third canceled or interrupted season in fifteen years stands unprecedented for any established sports league in peacetime. Extension of the COVID-19 pandemic into the 2020/2021 season is not implausible – if that occurred would the league combine the two seasons into one?

Since the 2012/2013 lockout, has the NHL done anything to make itself in Bleacher Reportʼs words “more resilient” and to cope with its seemingly never-ending crises?
They've made the Maple Leafs pay for everything...

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think NHL.TV is free until play resumes. I'll be watching the season again for my sport fix.
If the season is cancelled – or the resumption of NHL play be delayed past the ordinary beginning of the 2020/2021 season – how long would NHL.TV stay free?
think it's more likely the lose games this season or next
Why would the NHL lose games next season, unless the COVID-19 pandemic does not ebb before the 2020/2021 season would ordinarily have began?

Last edited:

catters078

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Looking at the global trend of the spread (with US surging)

I would be stunned if they even get playoffs in.

I hope hope hope im wrong. But i think this season is over. Void sesson

Top Bottom