Banter 2020-2021 Offseason offtopic chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just thinking of all the major benefit events that have been announced to raise funds for the bushfires....

- Rally for relief: Tennis Australia (Kyrgios, Nadal, Federer and Serena Williams confirmed).
- Bushfire round: NRL
- Proposed state of origin: AFL.
- Proposed celebrity charity match - Cricket Australia.
- Sound Relief concerts in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Fire Fight Australia concert in Sydney (Hilltop Hoods, Michael Buble and Delta Goodrem all confirmed).
- Down to Earth concert in Melbourne (Gang of Youths, Angus & Julia Stone, Tash Sultana, Thelma Plum, Jack River and Ruby Fray all confirmed).

Have I missed anything?

Just thinking of all the major benefit events that have been announced to raise funds for the bushfires....

- Rally for relief: Tennis Australia (Kyrgios, Nadal, Federer and Serena Williams confirmed).
- Bushfire round: NRL
- Proposed state of origin: AFL.
- Proposed celebrity charity match - Cricket Australia.
- Sound Relief concerts in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Fire Fight Australia concert in Sydney (Hilltop Hoods, Michael Buble and Delta Goodrem all confirmed).
- Down to Earth concert in Melbourne (Gang of Youths, Angus & Julia Stone, Tash Sultana, Thelma Plum, Jack River and Ruby Fray all confirmed).

Have I missed anything?

We’ve got a concert with a number of acts but not saying where that is. We have a famous artist plus local talent.

They have “Make You Laugh Out Loud“ on Fox8 right now and the topic is Birds. It’s really good.

Remember once watching a magpie tease a cat on a fence. The cat would walk up to the magpie, and just before it got to the magpie, the magpie would fly off and land behind the cat. The cat would then turn around and walk up to the magpie again, and when it got too close it flew off and landed behind the cat again. Went on like this for a few minutes before the magpie got bored and flew off.

Remember once watching a magpie tease a cat on a fence. The cat would walk up to the magpie, and just before it got to the magpie, the magpie would fly off and land behind the cat. The cat would then turn around and walk up to the magpie again, and when it got too close it flew off and landed behind the cat again. Went on like this for a few minutes before the magpie got bored and flew off.

That‘s adorable lol got so many animal stories to share and tell, worked with them and had my own experiences at home with my cats and just birds that we had nesting recently in our tree.
Do you have any pets?

2 very true stories re Magpies.

In August 2010, we brought home a 6 month old Whippet.
They are amazing runners.
First foray into the backyard, he catches a magpie, brings it inside, then lets it escape.
I looked at that as an omen, as we got trounced by the Pies!!

Just over 12m later, we won the GF, beat the Pies 3x!
The Monday afternoon following the GF, I ventured out for a quick lunchtime walk in leafy Croydon. About a minute in, whilst looking at my mobile as we do, it felt as if a massive tree branch landed on my head.
Very stunned, I looked up and saw an angry territorial Magpie hovering above, ready to swoop again. First time ever hit by a magpie, and it's got to be related to the GF!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not my favourite person, but good on Eddie:

“A big thank you to Ed and the footy club for purchasing the medal,” Beams said on Instagram.

“It’s a little bit funny, but fantastic that it’s staying at the Holden Centre and everyone can get a look at it.

FB fundraising updates:

Celeste Barber: $46.2 million
Wires: $11.6 million
CFA: $1.7 million.

Rock gods Metallica have donated $750,000 as well. :thumbsu:
I"m doing David Spade's talk show here in LA - probalby on Comedy Central channel there I guess - but he's been promoting Celeste's effort as she's been guest on the show - and he plugged the Red Cross and Wires.com.au as well.

He had Sandler here last month and talking about getting him and Rock here to do something for it.

As sad as it is, its getting alot of coverage and response.

GO Catters

This is just staggering if true...

View attachment 803654

ScoMo's empathy advisor must be the most incompetent person ever.

Unfortunately it is true

What's scarier though is the #scottyfrommarketing & LNP sympathisers are making excuses for him such as:
- he's not getting a lot of sleep
- it's only a small mistake
- the media is picking on him as he was taking about firefighters (not sure how that makes any difference to the loss of life)
- how's he hasn't to know everything about the communities he's visiting
- good to know everyone else is perfect
- he's allowed to make mistakes

Not sure what's scarier - some of the situations that he's got himself into or the excuses being made by his loyal supporters. I don't care who you voted for at the last election, but surely there comes a time where you have to stop making excuses and acknowledge that some things said or done just aren't right

And to make it somewhat worse, those 2 men who lost their lives on Kangaroo Island had spent their last 2 days fighting the fires - so they were firefighters

And with everything he has been dealing with, is currently dealing with and that will continue long after this fire season is over - I don't think anyone would begrudge Shane Fitzsimmons for taking a moment to smile and moment to remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back