List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

So keep him. Play him for 12 games, but none in the SANFL. He moves to a mentorship role for our next generation of small forwards.

That is worth a lot more than pick 56.

While Betts is no Hodge, I genuinely believe he can and will impart his knowledge to our next generation of small forwards. He can do for them what Hodge did for the Lions defence.

I agree, keeping Betts is better than Pick 56. Thats of course, Carlton want to come to the table and trade overs for a contracted player on our list.

One of the reasons that CCameron had a solid foundation and development to his AFL career is because he was not the key small forward in our team as he had the luxury of Betts taking the best small defender every week.

So keep him. Play him for 12 games, but none in the SANFL. He moves to a mentorship role for our next generation of small forwards.

That is worth a lot more than pick 56.
Forgetting that Eddie has always made clear taking family back to Melbourne once footy finished.
So not achieving much by keeping here one year to mentor ,let him go Carlton and get job after played 1 season.
Pay some of wage and get best pick possible.

If any - and I mean any - player on our list older than 25 wants to pursue options then we should squeeze every ounce of value out of them and load up on the next two drafts. They won't all go, but we need to rebuild, so cash in now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Betts is no Hodge, I genuinely believe he can and will impart his knowledge to our next generation of small forwards. He can do for them what Hodge did for the Lions defence.

I agree, keeping Betts is better than Pick 56. Thats of course, Carlton want to come to the table and trade overs for a contracted player on our list.

One of the reasons that CCameron had a solid foundation and development to his AFL career is because he was not the key small forward in our team as he had the luxury of Betts taking the best small defender every week.

Pick 56 averages 79 games
Zac Langdon
Jordan Dawson
Dougal Howard
James Sicily
Joel Patfull
Chris Knights
Robert Shirley
Paul Medhurst
Daniel Cross
Ryan O'keefe
Cameron Mooney
Daniel Bradshaw

I just think they're really different players.

I'm not saying Stengle is on the same level as betts, but he has very similar traits and plays a very similar role (minus the attempted hangers).

McAdam seems more a lead up forward to me whether that be i50 or a flank.
Shane is quicker, taller, stronger and has more strings to his bow.

The State of Play(ers)

Gone -
Douglas, Hunter (delisted), Otten (retired), Jacobs (trade/free agency).
Contracted, but likely to be traded - Jenkins, Betts
Contracted, has been some talk, but likely to stay - Gibbs
Uncontracted, and likely to be traded - Keath, Greenwood
Uncontracted, and may be traded - Knight
Uncontracted & a free agent, and may leave - Ellis-Yolmen
Uncontracted, but likely to get another 1-year-good-guy contract (don't start me... ) - Mackay (Free agent, but who'd want him? Seemingly, only a nuclear holocaust will remove him from our list.)
Uncontracted, but almost certainly will be re-contracted (deservedly) - Strachan
Apparently being targetted by opposition clubs, but contracted + required, and VERY unlikely to be traded (sorry Playstationers, I can't see these happening) - Smith, Laird, B. Crouch

Not mentioned in any 'serious' media-generated Trade Talk (as far as I know) - Sloane, Jones, McHenry, Sholl, Hamill, Walker, Lynch, Talia, Seedsman, M. Crouch, McAdam, O'Brien, Kelly, Doedee, Davis, Fogarty, McPherson, Brown, Hartigan, Atkins, Milera, Gallucci, Poholke, Himmelberg, Stengle, Wilson, Murphy, Butts.

Great work. In priority order would like to see us move on Gibbs and JJ. I would take (and encourage) massive overs for Laird, Crouch and/or Smith. Burn this group down and start again.

Happy to pay Eddie for what he brings off the field. Would love to keep him on permanently in some capacity. Indigenous players are so important and we lack stars with that electric pace and classy ball use. Eddie could be the missing link going forward to adapt some bargain indigenous players to the system and also work with our NGA. Have to be massive overs for mine and really I hope it doesn’t come.

Mackay should not get another and happy to lose Keath and Hugh as long as it’s based on their best footy. Which is really overs for any player if you are cherry picking games to value them on.

I would have thought as of next year that Stengle is a clear replacement.

Stengle may play the same position, but he's an even less clear replacement than Murphy. Didn't really think much of him in his 2 game cameo, he's far too much of a low effort coaster to make it in the AFL based on his demonstrations to date. You can certainly see why Richmond were happy to part with him.

Stengle may play the same position, but he's an even less clear replacement than Murphy. Didn't really think much of him in his 2 game cameo, he's far too much of a low effort coaster to make it in the AFL based on his demonstrations to date. You can certainly see why Richmond were happy to part with him.
It’s a major flaw. Hopefully preseason our new coach gets through to him he needs to chase with ferocity or he isn’t going to make it.

Talia is taller, stronger and better in the air.

My point isn't who is the better player. It's that I don't think they play the same position. So why should it be a contest?

Agreed, I think both McAdam and Stengle should be playing in our forward line next year, I don't think it should be a competition between the two. Stengle is about as close to a Betts clone as you would ever find. A long way off Betts, but just has that natural ability to be dangerous around the F50 in both kicking and setting up goals. He may not be the best "defensive pressure" forward, but the very presence of dangerous players who punish mistakes creates significant pressure.

McAdam has a few more strings to his bow and I think brings that dynamic "X-factor" that McGovern brought when he played for us.

Personally with where our team/forward line is at, I'd be looking at playing a forward line something like:
F: Stengle - Himmelberg - Fogarty
HF: McAdam - Walker - McHenry

The jury's no doubt still out on some of these guys, but the only way we find out is by playing them.

Personally I don't see why there's such resistance at Carlton towards bringing Betts back in, especially given the success of Brisbane bringing Hodge in whilst in a similar situation. They have a young, talented forwardline, however perhaps lack in the small forward space and after how impressive the back half of their 2019 was, I'd imagine they'd be targeting a finals appearance in 2020.

Whilst Betts is a different player to Hodge, he's a great character/clubman who is an excitement machine and genuinely brings fans to the games. They're at the point now where they need to actually say "lets make a run at the finals".

Smith
- 28yo at the start of 2020
- Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of 2021
- Unlikely to play in our next finals campaign, definitely no chance of a flag
- Is never going to play regularly in the midfield
- His currency is at it’s peak
- Sholl and Hamill are promising replacements
- We could potentially take Ash or Young with pick 3, both similar players who may have greater long-term midfield potential

If Brisbane were to offer 15 or a package which includes other picks, would you do the deal?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Currently have...

Picks 3, 21, 26, 98, 116

Likely trades out at present...

Jacobs to GWS for 51 (assuming they want to protect their Tomlinson FA compo)

Betts to Carlton for 44.

Greenwood to GC with 26 for 14 (think there may end up being more to this trade if we target Luko)

Giving us pick 3, 14, 21, 44, 51, 98, 116

Other players I would be considering for trade...

Lynch & Jenkins as think we need to rebuild our forward line.

Hartigan & please keep Keath.

Laird only with ROB if we land Grundy as per the rumour.

This is a key I think. Jenkins will leave and we'll no doubt get something for him. How much? Who knows.

But Lynch is one whom now needs to make way in our forward line. The trouble is I just don't see him leaving. I actually wonder though whether we might look to move Lynch to more of a wing/half back role, especially if we're losing the likes of Keath +/- Laird/Smith and now clearly aren't brining in Francis or Williams.

I think our forwardline needs a complete makeover though, we have a heap of talent there waiting for opportunities, we now need to give it a chance. I think you keep Walker there as an elder statesman.

Smith
- 28yo at the start of 2020
- Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of 2021
- Unlikely to play in our next finals campaign, definitely no chance of a flag
- Is never going to play regularly in the midfield
- His currency is at it’s peak
- Sholl and Hamill are promising replacements
- We could potentially take Ash or Young with pick 3, both similar players who may have greater long-term midfield potential

If Brisbane were to offer 15 or a package which includes other picks, would you do the deal?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No

Remove this Banner Ad

Back