List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Keath is a gun who has plenty of good years left as a late starter.

With the decline of Talia he is a must keep.

Keath & Doedee across half back gives us arial supremacy not seen by us since the Smart & Hart days...

I don't think you can play two guys in an interceptor role.

You could maybe have Doedee there instead of Kelly? Run Hartigan, Talia, Doedee, Keath - but gee that's tall, especially considering how often we've been killed by small forwards.

Personally - if it's enough value, I'd do it.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
We can't afford to lose Keath.

I would trade either Hartigan or Talia if it came to that to keep Keath.

Keath can't play as a true key defender. We've seen that. He has shocking one-on-one numbers.

You could maybe have Doedee there instead of Kelly? Run Hartigan, Talia, Doedee, Keath - but gee that's tall, especially considering how often we've been killed by small forwards.

Personally - if it's enough value, I'd do it.

Playing Doedee instead of Kelly doesn’t really make us taller than we currently are.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not that I am for letting either go at all, but they would both be ideal for Gold Coast - Greenwood as the big bodied mid to help their younger mids and Keath as a very competent defender to help their younger guys out. What would both be worth as a package? - maybe their own 2019 1st rounder if we also included our 2nd rounder (not the carlton one)
Keath to Gold Coast is like what Gibbs was to us ... they would feel they should have had him when they started up.

Maybe we can get 2 first round picks from them for Keath? :grin:

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's because after getting repeatedly snubbed every time they chased after a big name player they were desperate to show the world that they could actually attract a player - any player.

Meh, there was no way on earth Polec was the missing piece and to be fair here, there were no North supporters giving it to people that they managed to grab Polec, nor did it do anything to allay the perception that Norf weren't, say a Hawthorn when it came to getting players in.

They saw they needed outside run so they went out and got it and paid a large price in salary and at the trade table. Not sure quite how that differs from Melbourne identifying a need, paying a large price in salary..

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh, there was no way on earth Polec was the missing piece and to be fair here, there were no North supporters giving it to people that they managed to grab Polec, nor did it do anything to allay the perception that Norf weren't, say a Hawthorn when it came to getting players in.

They saw they needed outside run so they went out and got it and paid a large price in salary and at the trade table. Not sure quite how that differs from Melbourne identifying a need, paying a large price in salary..

I just saw it as they had $$$ they needed to spend and he was the only one on the trade table. They took what was on offer and it was Polec.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No

You don't have to play them as dedicated interceptors standing in nomansland marking space.

Just have two quality aerial markers back there who can roll off their man and intervene as and where required.

Geelong used to do this beautifully back in their dynasty days

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Not sure he’s that crucial, he’s very good though obviously.

Jordy Butts is putting together an excellent season in the 2’s and he is most similar in size and style to Keath. 198cm, good intercept mark and very good ground/play making/decision making skills.

Currently we don’t have anyone developing that is more a Talia/Hartigan type and that’s something we need to address.

I’ve no doubt the preference is to keep Keath, but if Melb blow us out of the water on salary + agree a reasonable trade it won’t be a bad outcome.

Keath cost us nothing, is 27 and unlikely to play anymore than 100 games at best. Turning him into a good 1st round pick won’t be the end of the world
I love them both, but Keath and Greenwood are both prime targets to move out if they want to do some serious redevelopment of the list. We've got an old list, they're still in their years where someone would give up something for them, adding two more picks to our hand already could be very good for the long term health of the list, especially with a huge chunk of it looking like they won't last past 2021 when most come out of contract. If this was 2017 I'd be advocating for keeping them, but not at the moment and on the reported price someone like Keath would cost.

Agree on needing to find another key defender to develop. Keath isn't the answer as a replacement for Talia because he's just as old.

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would be keeping Keath.
Talia is a great player but he is slowing down quickly and he doesn't have great penetration in his leg anymore.
Not saying he is useless, far from it (still a good one on one player) but the signs are there that the end is nearing.
I'm sure the planning for the not to distant future revolves around Keath, Doedee or Butts as the likely candidates to fill that role.
Having both Keath and Doedee gives the team a large amount of flexibility. I'm confident both can play in the same team without getting in each others way.
Keath is deceptively tall and has good pace and isn't showing any wear and tear for his age unlike others.
Our back line is the strength of this squad and should remain that way for a few years yet.
We don't have a great abundance of size in our squad so I see Keith as an essential component for the following years.
His presence will keep us highly competitive while a few KPP's whom we haven't yet drafted are brought in to develop.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
Not that I am for letting either go at all, but they would both be ideal for Gold Coast - Greenwood as the big bodied mid to help their younger mids and Keath as a very competent defender to help their younger guys out. What would both be worth as a package? - maybe their own 2019 1st rounder if we also included our 2nd rounder (not the carlton one)

Why in hell when these stupid trades are mooted some in here want to not only send our good players away but give them picks on top.:mad: Think about it. 2 regular A grade players is more than enough for a 1st round pick.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why in hell when these stupid trades are mooted some in here want to not only send our good players away but give them picks on top.:mad: Think about it. 2 regular A grade players is more than enough for a 1st round pick.
As I said, I don't want to lose either..however both are out of contract at the end of this season and if in the hypothetical example I used, a pick 2 was being sought from a GC, then I think it would take more than both these guys who are off contract to get it done. Remember both lads are closing in on 30 years of age as well

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
As I said, I don't want to lose either..however both are out of contract at the end of this season and if in the hypothetical example I used, a pick 2 was being sought from a GC, then I think it would take more than both these guys who are off contract to get it done. Remember both lads are closing in on 30 years of age as well

Both are young in football terms and well worth pick 2. Ok you take one of the Vic. lads and they want to leave after 2 years what have you achieved? Nothing! Both of Rowell and Anderson will be chased from day 1 by the Vic. clubs offering them mega bucks. Anderson reminds me so much of Gunston and Lever in that regard.
I would keep both Hugh and Alex here. Give them good money to stay.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both are young in football terms and well worth pick 2. Ok you take one of the Vic. lads and they want to leave after 2 years what have you achieved? Nothing! Both of Rowell and Anderson will be chased from day 1 by the Vic. clubs offering them mega bucks. Anderson reminds me so much of Gunston and Lever in that regard.
I would keep both Hugh and Alex here. Give them good money to stay.
I agree with you. I do suspect that if you got both andeson and rowell together, it would mitigate the desire to leave as you are pairing best mates together. What I have read here is that people see Keath as a good player but once Doedee returns, we have the intercept defender back and Butts is building nicely in the SANFL - maybe he is one that if we let go for the right price we have cover for. Greenwood though - he offers so much to the team that it would be really hard to replace and you would want the pick 2 for example to be a very very good midfielder to cover him. The other thing to factor in here is that the club could be going into salary load shedding this year if they are readying a big play for Grundy and that is why no contracts have been offered as yet as they don't know how much they have left to offer

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne and the Bulldogs all need a KPF - surely we can get one of them to cough up their 2nd round picks for Jenkins whose a known quantity, offers a little extra as a 2nd ruck and whose still got 2-3 years left in his legs. Reckon that could work for all parties.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not a case of underestimating. My bet is this form is a fluke, a career year from someone who has never looked like a best 22 player before, and it's taken 8 years.

Equally to that, we will have to make a choice between Greenwood, and CEY this season as neither will be on depth wages anymore. I'd choose Greenwood every single day and twice on Sunday.

On the flip side, he’s never really failed when given opportunity. Greenwood’s problem remains a complete inability to punch out 80% TOG largely in midfield rotations. That’s why CEY is preferred right at the moment.

JimmyTheScoop

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
Hi people, can anyone tell me which media Nuffie said that Harry Himmelberg was going to request a trade to the Crows and then he signed a couple of weeks later? I think they have deleted their post. Cheers

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not me.

Still plenty of prime candidates for chopping. Douglas, Mackay, Jacobs, Otten makes an easy four. Throw in Knight as well. Done.

Good chance we pick up a spot via trade also. Jenkins maybe, Kelly rumor has been around a while. Wonder about Poholke maybe for opportunity - been good in the 2s but hard to see how he breaks into the midfield.

Was always a fan but have the feeling a number of players are going to skate past him very quickly.

Feel the same way. I like him but we have a lot small forward/mid types who have a touch more class than him. The coaches are fans though.

I think we should turn him into a Brown type small defender, as all the other ones we have are more natural rebounders.

Back