List Mgmt. 2019/20 Trade/Delist/Re-sign Predictions/Opinion (now with TRADE RADIO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. Its So easy to replace duel AAs .
Just like Charlie was going to be easy to replace.
Just so far away from the truth.

Having an AA half-back flanker in a bottom 4 team is pointless. We need to look at what our team will be like in 3-4 years. A 30 year old AA half back flanker isn't going to do much for us then either. I am not saying we should trade Laird specifically, but there is no reason we shouldn't be looking to trade him or Smith or either Crouch. We should have made the big calls last year with Sloane and Lynch. Now we have to fix up past mistakes, including trading two firsts for Gibbs.

Having an AA half-back flanker in a bottom 4 team is pointless. We need to look at what our team will be like in 3-4 years. A 30 year old AA half back flanker isn't going to do much for us then either. I am not saying we should trade Laird specifically, but there is no reason we shouldn't be looking to trade him or Smith or either Crouch. We should have made the big calls last year with Sloane and Lynch. Now we have to fix up past mistakes, including trading two firsts for Gibbs.
Laird at his best plays a quarterback role - so well that at times last year he was being tagged to try and curb his influence. Brodie smith at his best is a line breaking very long kicking flanker / wing. Brad crouch is the ace in midfield that we absolutely cannot afford to trade. 2 of the 3 are local SA boys and all 3 have years ahead of them. These are guys you build the team around going forward by adding in quality around them. Trading them out for speculative picks guarantees nothing and extends the length of time it will take to get the club back up and contending. Do the best teams trade out their best players in the hope of getting better..no they don't

He is 25 years old.
But if that's your thought pattern we need to trade out Smith, Brad Crouch, Sloane, Talia, Brown amongst others.
Who do you think is going to mentor the young kids we get in? Campo?

Laird at his best plays a quarterback role - so well that at times last year he was being tagged to try and curb his influence. Brodie smith at his best is a line breaking very long kicking flanker / wing. Brad crouch is the ace in midfield that we absolutely cannot afford to trade. 2 of the 3 are local SA boys and all 3 have years ahead of them. These are guys you build the team around going forward by adding in quality around them. Trading them out for speculative picks guarantees nothing and extends the length of time it will take to get the club back up and contending. Do the best teams trade out their best players in the hope of getting better..no they don't

They have currency. Excluding anyone drafted in say 2015 or later (we have already cleared 2014) we dont have many players that could get us first round draft picks. If we are going to spend the next 4 years rebuilding for another crack at a flag we might as well put games into talented youngsters. Take emotion out of it and Smith/Laird are just another 28 year old and a 26 year old (next season). Looking at our age demographic and our talent what are the chances that either of these players are here for our next flag? If you could get two first rounders for Laird then I would do that. Put 4 years into a couple of first rounders instead. No guarantees in life, but its just a gamble I think we should make.

He is 25 years old.
But if that's your thought pattern we need to trade out Smith, Brad Crouch, Sloane, Talia, Brown amongst others.
Who do you think is going to mentor the young kids we get in? Campo?

We dont need to trade out all of them. Depends what value we can get for each player in trade and pick one or two. But no reason they shouldnt all be on the table. We made our mistakes already - Gibbs, 5 year contract to Sloane, Lynch's last contract. Now its time to pay the price. Not dissimilar to what we did with Vince.

I think the NFL comparison for Laird is the role of punter isn’t it?

Isn’t that the guy whose worth is measured by how long he can hang the ball up in the air?

The suggestion of trading Laird is the stupidest thing you'll see on the Internet.
Don't be a nuffy.

A half back flanker is a position that we have amply covered - he offers great value that we could turn into a position of need, like Luko up forward or an absolute elite midfielder.

It makes space for Sholl to play, and it trades someone who can bring real value in return.

Last edited:
The suggestion of trading Laird is the stupidest thing you'll see on the Internet.

Not the stupidest, but it's not something you consider unless the result is heavily skewed in your favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is saying give Laird away. But if he gets us two firsts and Sholl slots straight in and starts learning his position, then it's got to be considered.

I'd do that trade.

Laird is a very good player, but he is sitting in a position that is prime real estate to develop players. It'd be hard to turn down 2 firsts right now.

It'd be a short term pain for long term gain type of deal, but really, that's just mirroring what 2020-2021 will be.

This Laird to Geelong stuff, Geelong have to use their 1st in the draft so unless they are giving us whatever or a bit of what they get for Kelly then its no deal as he is contracted, we'd want a top 10 pick before giving away a contracted double AA HB type player.

This Laird to Geelong stuff, Geelong have to use their 1st in the draft so unless they are giving us whatever or a bit of what they get for Kelly then its no deal as he is contracted, we'd want a top 10 pick before giving away a contracted double AA HB type player.
We'd either want Freo's pick if he went to Geelong, or if he goes to Brisbane then I think we'd look for Collingwood's first and pick 19, at a minimum.

Kelly is out of contract IIRC. So we should be asking them to give us ALL of what they get for Kelly, even though Kelly is a much better player.

Laird is going nowhere, I wish you Play Station boys with your fantasies would give it a rest.

The man himself has stated on the record it's bullshit. Dwayno FFS...

Stick to Keath, Greenwood, Ellis-Yolmen , Jacobs, the contracted Jenkins and any other uncontracted players where there is a genuine chance they won't be at the club next year. As yet no other player has even hinted at wanting out.

I wonder if Pyke leaving changes things for many players?
The only disgruntled ones would be the ones that think they should be playing when in the main their form didn't warrant it. i.e Gibbs, Jacobs, Jenkins, an argument can be made for several of the younger players to have been given more opportunities but not too many were absolutely knocking the door down truth be known.

WTF? Goldstein's decision to re-sign means that Jacobs now has less competition for those clubs wanting a mature short-term ruckman. If anything, this is a positive for him. Geelong, GWS & Carlton are all in the market, and he's now the clear #1 target for them all to chase.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t watch games

Old sauce would be the clear #1 target, but not for teams who have seen his decline over recent years

The sauce you’re talking about would be a priority for us too. But he doesn’t exist anymore

Not to mention his recent prima donna tantrum

Laird is going nowhere, I wish you Play Station boys with your fantasies would give it a rest.

The man himself has stated on the record it's bulls**t. Dwayno FFS...

Stick to Keath, Greenwood, Ellis-Yolmen , Jacobs, the contracted Jenkins and any other uncontracted players where there is a genuine chance they won't be at the club next year. As yet no other player has even hinted at wanting out.
That's such a lazy post.

You're better than that. Nothing says "I don't have a real opinion" on BigFooty like people using the phrase "Playstation trade".

It's such a basic, empty opinion.

Laird being traded is obviously out there - the media is saying it, posters on different boards are hearing things. Whether it happens or not, there's more discussion about Laird now than there was about Lachie Neale this time last year, or half the guys traded.

You listed a bunch of guys that will get us 2/5 of f*** all in a trade. If we're rebuilding, we need to be serious about who has real value, and who we can replace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back