2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia’s have erred by not taking more bats. There’s no real need for Holland in the squad but we could sure use some options. Realistically, Bancroft should be dropped but Warner’s playing even worse, I have no more faith in Harris. Burns would probably offer some resistance at this point.

Holland isn’t in the squad

Perhaps they should have experimented with different grit sandpapers, just as the English experimented with different type of mints. You know, to find the most the effective.

Something of which you have absolutely no proof. How people can interpret Trescothick saying he didn't like a specific type of mints (which had been identified as the ones that had been allowing Warwickshire to get more prolonged swing than other teams in the county championship) because they were too dry as Trescothick saying he experimented with different types of mints to find the most effective at getting the ball to swing I have no idea.

Something of which you have absolutely no proof. How people can interpret Trescothick saying he didn't like a specific type of mints (which had been identified as the ones that had been allowing Warwickshire to get more prolonged swing than other teams in the county championship) because they were too dry as Trescothick saying he experimented with different types of mints to find the most effective at getting the ball to swing I have no idea.
Who cares? Everyone tampers with the ball we got caught you didn’t that time but have done in the past.

Not a comment without merit but if moving countries and becoming a citizen of that country is perfectly legal in general life, then why should it be any different for sport?

Not to mention that some boards treat their players bloody awfully, financially and otherwise. I really don't blame players for shifting if it is in the interest of their long-term career and it's a possibility for them.

Not to mention that some boards treat their players bloody awfully, financially and otherwise. I really don't blame players for shifting if it is in the interest of their long-term career and it's a possibility for them.
Plenty of blokes have moved around for opportunities.
Kepler Wessels, for instance.
And his son.
Noticed this bloke's name in the recent Australian tour match:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki_Wessels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't been following this convo but Ayn Rand lived of social security in her twilight years which is pretty hypocritical even if you do account for the "I paid in I can cash out" logic loophole.
She did enroll in social security and medicare in her late years as her health declined ...hardly makes her life and works hypocritical.

She did enroll in social security and medicare in her late years as her health declined ...hardly makes her life and works hypocritical.
How in any way does it not? Her life and works were dedicated to criticizing the existence of social programs and she ended up living off social programs. Guess I missed the proviso "Welfare state = totalitarianism, but ok if you are the author of bad sci-fi novels in poor health" in her works.

But we need to be doing more to ensure that test cricket stays strong. It’s always great when you play England and India. NZ is on the rise but we need to do more to support the other cricket boards so the game remains strong across the board

How in any way does it not? Her life and works were dedicated to criticizing the existence of social programs and she ended up living off social programs. Guess I missed the proviso "Welfare state = totalitarianism, but ok if you are the author of bad sci-fi novels in poor health" in her works.
You make false assertions. Firstly she always said that the well off in society should look after poor and down trodden in society. She criticized those who would bring down the well off and prop themselves up without merit. Bad sci fi novels??? WTF Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead are her two most well known novels.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force. Seems like a reasonable quote. You seem to have a bias against her and that is fine but your arguments against her are falsely premised. Therefor I will not be swayed. We are a bit of topic here.

Warner is in poor form but I can't help but think the majority who want him out have a different agenda (consider him the bad guy because of sand paper and don't want him in the team at all).

There is no way he gets dropped before Bancroft, he averages 47 in Test cricket as an opener. You can bang on about a poor record in England but it's not true, his record in England was actually pretty solid before this series.

The top 3 probably needs a shake up but with Smith likely out it's not happening until the fourth Test and even then the only chance of a change is Bancroft out. Warner is playing all 5 Tests.
You make some good points but Doug Walters had a pretty good series in 1968 (a bit like Warner no 100's but quite a few reasonable scores) and in 1972 after 4 tests Doug had scored (I think) 51 runs in 7 innings. Warner is pretty much heading in this direction. If Warner fails in the 3rd test then I can't see him being picked for the 4th.

Warner is in poor form but I can't help but think the majority who want him out have a different agenda (consider him the bad guy because of sand paper and don't want him in the team at all).

There is no way he gets dropped before Bancroft, he averages 47 in Test cricket as an opener. You can bang on about a poor record in England but it's not true, his record in England was actually pretty solid before this series.

The top 3 probably needs a shake up but with Smith likely out it's not happening until the fourth Test and even then the only chance of a change is Bancroft out. Warner is playing all 5 Tests.
For mine Bancroft out Warner and Khawaja to open up and Labuschange at 3 Smith 4 Head 5 and Wade 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back