Oppo Camp 2019 2nd Preliminary Final: Richmond vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally I just hope for a tight and tough contest tonight and in those circumstances don't really mind who comes out on top.

That might come as a surprise to many with Geelong likely seen as our preferred Grand Final opponent (should we get past the Giants) but I'm not convinced it's that clear cut.

If Geelong can beat a red hot Richmond without Hawkins then it'll be a victory of significant merit and one that should leave us without any doubt they can win the flag.

I can't escape the feeling either that while we played really well and did a lot right against Geelong in the qualifying final if I was to take my Collingwood hat off and put a Geelong one on I'd feel we were our own worst enemy in that match also.

It started with the non selection of Stanley, it certainly continued with their go slow approach when transitioning the ball (something they looked to improve on against the Eagles) while in the early part of the game when we established our game winning lead Geelong uncharacteristically fumbled and stumbled which benefited us both offensively and defensively on the scoreboard.

If we do make it to the Grand Final then whether it be Richmond or Geelong I dare say we will have to take our game up another notch above our qualifying final display in order to win the Premiership.

Richmond by 10pts.

Expecting the Tigers to get up but otherwise hoping for a decent Friday night game.

I like watching Dusty play well, as long as it's not against us and as long as the sound is turned off the TV so I don't have to put up with the shrill and gurgling of Bruce when Dusty does his thing.

I don’t really care who wins. Either team is tough to beat. Looking forward to watching the game and hopefully it’s not a blowout and they have to work hard for it.

I hate both teams equally so it's difficult to pick. A Collingwood v Richmond GF would be huge so I think I'm learning towards wanting the Tiges to get up, as much as it pains me to say.

Dunno why but just have a feeling in my gut that Geelong are going to get up tonight.

Richmond's weakness is around the contest, if Geelong play Danger and Selwood in the middle and bring the heat, they're a sneaky chance.

Richmond are a intercept/turnover/pagans paddock type of team.

Geelong are always a chance due to their defence's ability to restrict opposition from registering a high score

Tigas very slight favorites at this stage but I don't really care who wins, as long as it's just a brutal 120 minute slog. Extra time periods would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigas very slight favorites at this stage but I don't really care who wins, as long as it's just a brutal 120 minute slog. Extra time periods would be nice.
What happens if they can't be separated after 2 extra periods? Another 2 or golden point?
WOuld like nothing better than to see both these teams pushed over the edge even if we weren't to win on Saturday.

Silly question but why wouldn't the first preliminary be played on the Friday?
I think they would have manufactured that if Geelong had won through to the Prelim direct. But Richmond as higher rank get the longer break, and the AFL didn't have to short change GWS with a short break into the prelim, like we copped last year

Just punish each other all night long.

Keep punishing and punishing and punishing.

That will do very nicely indeed.

For those interested in such matters:

If Richmond win they will be the designated home team next week and wear the black shorts.

If Geelong win they will only wear the dark shorts if it’s v GWS.

My head says Richmond will win in hopefully a bruising encounter.
My heart also says this because I think that should we get through, it'll create a more epic gf.
But then my head also says either way, it's not going to be easy next week...
can we see some sort of all in brawl and a heap of suspensions 😛

For those interested in such matters:

If Richmond win they will be the designated home team next week and wear the black shorts.

If Geelong win they will only wear the dark shorts if it’s v GWS.

Does that even Matter?

I think this will be the match of the season and sadly think whoever wins tonight will most probably win the flag. But fingers crossed for a tough contest.

Preliminary finals are special games. We're fortunate to be in another, and here's hoping we get through.

Richmond will win, but would absolutely love the Cats to get up. Highly unlikely. Need the Cats defenders to have a field day.

If Blicavs doesn’t start in the backline, Cats fans better start heading down the highway at quarter time.

Also, someone tag Martin. He dominates without a tag. I bet he frothed from the mouth when Greenwood went down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back