2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the well documented blunders, I also can’t understand why we continued to let Stokes take an easy single off the fifth ball of each over, and why we gave Stokes so many deliveries to get underneath. Should have been more wide yorkers, etc.

We ended up basically bowling length balls to Stokes 5/6 balls every over.
This. There I was expecting to see short bouncers, wide yorkers, short balls wide down leg side, on balls 5 and 6. Something unhittable. Never happened.

Last edited:
362 was easily enough. Our bowlers didn't execute once we were 9 down and Paine lost his brain. Simple.

If 362 was a meagre total to defend, it wouldn't have gone down as the highest target that England has ever chased down in a 4th innings. Ever. Ninth of all time for all sides. 2nd highest at Headingly, the highest being chased down there was last in 1948.

I'm sorry, but the stats just don't back up your claim. This was lost by our bowling attack and captain.

The batsmen have been the weaker part of our team, but they did enough and met/exceeded expectations. The bowlers failed to rise to the pressure. Instead the limped and panicked.

Only Stokes can say he rose to the situation.

Didn’t burns and Denley put on 120 with their side 2-20 chasing 360?

Well, I'm in the UK and I've missed the last days play due to summer arriving. Reading through this is a bit depressing though, I'm kind of glad I missed it. I always feel that Stokes is the big wicket for England and so it proved. I think other players are scared of him as he's their talisman, far more so than Root.

I missed it too because I was out but I was nevertheless following it as closely as I could. Somehow I knew deep down he would pull it off. Certainly when the ask got below 50.

The worst part is that most of the time most English people don't give a f**k about cricket but conveniently emerge from the woodwork on days like yesterday and World Cup final day. Then they harp on about "great British sporting success" for 6 months before putting it back in the box and returning to tribal, squalid football rivalry.

Because there is no one else.

A lot of people got joy our of Aaron Finch failing because BigFooty hates him, but I think a strong part of the reason he got a go in the test side was they needed another strong leader to help Paine out and unfortunately for Australia, his batting didn’t stand up.
I stand by my comments that when your captain turns a blind eye to cheating he forfeits the right to hold that position. Our team isn’t flush with leadership anyway, so you look to an obvious place. Paine. Can’t fault his commitment and maturity.

I missed it too because I was out but I was nevertheless following it as closely as I could. Somehow I knew deep down he would pull it off. Certainly when the ask got below 50.

The worst part is that most of the time most English people don't give a f**k about cricket but conveniently emerge from the woodwork on days like yesterday and World Cup final day. Then they harp on about "great British sporting success" for 6 months before putting it back in the box and returning to tribal, squalid football rivalry.
English fans are s**t. Australia was celebrating and arrogantly crowing early, how the mood in the commentary box shifted. Australian fans are also s**t.

This. There I was expecting to see short bouncers, wide yorkers, short balls wide down leg side, on balls 5 and 6. Something unhittable. Never happened.
Seem like obvious and logical tactics, but we just kept putting it there for him.

Wish I had a spare many hours - would love to go through the last 18 hours of this epic thread.

Last edited:
Still can't stop thinking about the fact that the second session going for three hours played into their hands massively. Of course the bowlers were ragged having bowled without rest for so long.

Surely the extra half hour shouldn't be taken when they've already added an extra half hour. Is this another case of Gaffney and Wilson being asleep at the wheel?

I'm old enough to remember that series. Stokes's innings reminded me so much of Botham 38 years earlier after Botham had been relieved of the captaincy.

In the Headingly test in 1981 Australia made 9/401 declared where Botham toiled through 39 overs for 6/95. Australia bowled out England for 174, enforced the follow on and had them 7/135 in the second innings. Botham stepped up and made 149no off 148 balls (with great support from Dilley and Olds) and Bob Willis knocked us over for 111 to win the match. The Australian pace attack featured Dennis Lillee, Terry Alderman, Geoff Lawson with Ray Bright bowling spin and Botham smashed them all.

In the 4th test with Australia chasing 151 for victory, Botham took 5/11 off 14 overs to knock us over for 121.

In the 5th test with England 5/104 in the second innings, he peeled 118 off 102 balls to push the England total out of Australia's reach.

He was the stuff of Australian nightmares in that series.
There is a doco called ‘from the Ashes ‘ about that series
Hard to watch but gives a great insight into both teams

says a melbourne supporter, hows the skiing??

Still can't stop thinking about the fact that the second session going for three hours played into their hands massively. Of course the bowlers were ragged having bowled without rest for so long.

Surely the extra half hour shouldn't be taken when they've already added an extra half hour. Is this another case of Gaffney and Wilson being asleep at the wheel?
Could be another case of looking for excuses because we lost the unlosable.

Finally calmed down but cant accept the result still.

Harris drop catch hurt but was understandable. Lyons missed runout was pathetic. Paines captaincy and panicked review was disgraceful. Joel Wilson not giving LBW makes me feel murderous.
Harris actually did well to get hands to that catch, no one would've been able to stop it bobbling out once his elbows hit the deck, was a great effort, Warner's slip drop was a half chance at best, seen them taken but rarely, Goats missed run-out was a howler, he was just too keen to get the bails off and had more time than he thought, there is absolutely no excuse for Paine's referral though, single-handedly cost us the match and possibly the series, I want that campaigners head on a stick!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How come the second session went for three hours? Is that a normal thing?

How come the second session went for three hours? Is that a normal thing?

2nd session started 1.40pm local, and game was over around 4.10. Was booked for 2.5 hours to make up time lost on day 1 (was also the case on day 2/3), and presume they were going an extra 30 given the state of the game (few runs and 9 down).

if either 9 wickets are already down when 3 minutes remains to the agreed time for the interval, or the 9th wicket falls within this 3 minutes, or at any time up to and including the final ball of the over in progress at the agreed time for the interval, then the provisions of Law 12.5.2 shall not apply and the interval will not be taken until the end of the over that is in progress 30 minutes after the originally agreed time for the interval, unless the players have cause to leave the field of play or the innings is completed earlier.

11.7 from this: https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws/intervals

English fans must be loving this thread. The melts today have been of all-time proportions!

73 needed with one wicket left. Then...

Dropped catch (albeit difficult), shocking missed run-out, diabolical use of the review system, umpire misses a plum lbw (any of which going the other way would have won us the Ashes)......

Yeah, I can understand the hurt and agony at this moment in time.

Paine himself post-match critiqued himself that he should have had a word to his bowlers to set their mindset.

Paine is as much to blame for this loss as any of the bowlers or the misfields/dropped catches by Lyon and Harris, and I'm not even mentioning his crap fields or the fact he wasted a review on a nothing ball that was needed an over later.
Harry Hindsight what a champion you are.

Mate it's not like we would be dropping an established captain, everyone knows he's just keeping the seat warm for Smith, the man's batting is a joke and he has to go.
I agree he is probably only there to the end of the 2019/20 season. There are obviously a lot of joke batters in the Oz team. Smith needs a bit more time as NOT the Captain. But I am sure like you he will be back in that role. So Australia snatched defeat out of the jaws of Victory. Sets up the final two Tests very nicely. Smith got us a win Stokes got the two and froms a win. Lets see what happens next we won't have to wait long.

Harris actually did well to get hands to that catch, no one would've been able to stop it bobbling out once his elbows hit the deck, was a great effort, Warner's slip drop was a half chance at best, seen them taken but rarely, Goats missed run-out was a howler, he was just too keen to get the bails off and had more time than he thought, there is absolutely no excuse for Paine's referral though, single-handedly cost us the match and possibly the series, I want that campaigners head on a stick!!
You know Cummins was there for the review decision, should he never play again?

Do you think Anderson plays, or is it too big a risk?

If he's fit they'll pick him, but I wouldn't. Woakes has been a bit disappointing with the bowling for mine, lol at anyone suggesting Broad getting dropped!

But its a big loss to the batting unit. You'd almost have to pick Curran to replace Buttler as well to give yourself backup with the ball and Buttler has been pretty s**t anyway! But that's a ridiculous team with 6 bowlers

History was made last night.Unfortunately the Aussies where on the wrong end of the result. But a test none of us will ever forget.A bit like the CwC Final.

Back