2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone needed proof that sledging can work you only have to look at Matt Prior's comments after Headingley. Nathan Lyon has a little word to him during an Ashes series and Gaz is still living rent-free in the Big Cheese's head 6 years later.
Sledging is great, personally I think we need to get stuck into Stokes next test about being a coward for his assault on that lad when on the town. Or get stuck into him about his mrs being a massive Disney fan. Something like that. Just really get into him.

Sledging is great, personally I think we need to get stuck into Stokes next test about being a coward for his assault on that lad when on the town. Or get stuck into him about his mrs being a massive Disney fan. Something like that. Just really get into him.

I know (or at least am naively assuming for the benefit of the doubt) that's sarcastic but that would see the last positive part of Paine's captaincy go up in smoke so it'd nearly be fitting of the narrative of his series so far

In the practice match coming up it would be nice to see Khawaja and Harris open in a bat off to see who’ll open with Warner in the next test.

I know (or at least am naively assuming for the benefit of the doubt) that's sarcastic but that would see the last positive part of Paine's captaincy go up in smoke so it'd nearly be fitting of the narrative of his series so far
Not really, sledging like that shouldn’t be off limits. Get Wade or Warner to do the dirty work.

As absolutely gutting, frustrating and unfathomable that loss was we now have the chance to re group, reassess and come back stronger.

We will see the real mark of this team now. Have we turned the corner? Are we a strong willed, ruthless bunch of campaigners, who've put their past behind them? Or are we weak willed, fragile and doomed to repeat history?

This next test match will reveal all. Fire up lads.

As absolutely gutting, frustrating and unfathomable that loss was we now have the chance to re group, reassess and come back stronger.

We will see the real mark of this team now. Have we turned the corner? Are we a strong willed, ruthless bunch of campaigners, who've put their past behind them? Or are we weak willed, fragile and doomed to repeat history?

This next test match will reveal all. Fire up lads.
I think we all know the answer to that question already

My thoughts on the future of Aus Cricket - Batting

These days, a player gets a 50 and people think he is the messiah. Have we fallen that far that we do this?

Labuschange needed to get a big hundred....Head and Khawaja get you 30s and 40s but do stuff all else and are likely to do stuff all else because that is what their FC records suggest. Id love to be proven wrong, but one must play the probabilities.

Wade is in the same boat.

We are one decent batsmen short of having a half decent test side...especially away from home....our record away from home over the last 10 years is borderline atrocious.

Warner's away record is poor....is it going to change at his age? No. It wont. He might light up the 4th test and win us the game single handedly but the odds are against him.

Khawaja's away record is appalling. How this guy continues to escape scrutiny over his position is beyond me? He will be 33 come December. His position in the side must surely be in the last chance saloon....if not about to be dropped for Smith's return.

Harris once again...averages 38 in FC cricket. His not going to do any better in test cricket on those numbers.

Outside of Smith...our batting is poor away from home. Sure...at home, we are still a capable unit, but we have gotten by on that basis for the last 10 years, the odd successful sortie away from home (v SA in 2014, SL 2011) and a solid home record to keep the masses happy.

We might scrape out of this series with the Ashes, but that is only because England are equally inept as us, if not more so.

It is high time that Khawaja is thanked for his services and moved on, but above all, we must get back to picking batsmen with proven FC records with averages in the low to mid 40's at a bare minimum. These guys have a chance at test level...the rest dont and wont.
Australian wickets ( drop in) have bloated Ozzie averages for most of this Century. Problem is we play Football on these grounds and drop in wickets are the best solution so we do not get mud heaps in the middle during footy season. Needs to be more variation in our home grown tracks to produce better quality test batsman with TEST match techniques. Aint going to happen.

I think we have exceeded all of our expectations in England by being 1 - 1 after three tests.
I think it was a nonesense that we could have been 2 - 0, but we came very close due to some very incompetent batting from England.
However, I think it's possible that we can win one of the last two matches.

Never understood the hate for stuart broad, he has classical englishman looks, and obviously comes from good stock (no homo). None of this numale sh*t.

UNPOPULAR OPINION

Ball tracking got confused by the ball hitting both of Stokes' pads and stuffed up. It looks like it has the ball spinning AND swinging, which obviously doesn't make sense. May still have hit leg, but I really don't think it was the howler that everyone is claiming it be.

Ball hit right on the inside of Stokes front pad so it was going on to hit certainly.

Ultimately, the umpires should control this process. Ian Chappell has said that having the players escalate to the third umpire is garbage since the beginning and I completely agree

Spot on. It's ridiculous for players to be involved. Anything the officiating umpire isn't sure about can be referred upstairs. I hate the way DRS is used as a tactic by the players. Mind you, with umpires like Joel Wilson around, that's why we need DRS.

Having said that, with that infamous referal for LBW, if the bowler didn't realise how far outside leg the ball pitched (and it was a long way outside leg), then it just shows how much the players actually know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, sledging like that shouldn’t be off limits. Get Wade or Warner to do the dirty work.

Hard to sledge a bloke that has just played one of the all time greatest test innings and it would probably just have the effect of firing him up even more so wouldn't be a great idea.

And for those who don't have twitter, what's the melt about?
Him and Jonathan Liew have an ongoing feud. Liew has called out a few racially questionable statements and Agnew has sort of lost the plot and is calling Liew a racist (an odd defence in response to being called out for being racist). Agnew has made about 30 tweets about it this morning venting.

You can't just play a bloke because he's captain. He's not contributing enough imo. 3 matches and he's barely made a run, dropped catches, and his actual captaincy has been iffy at best. Basically playing with 10 and a guy who everyone likes

The strength of Australian cricket over the years has been our policy to name a team first, then select the captain from that list. We used to laugh at England's idea of picking a captain first, then the team because they picked some very ordinary cricketers as captain. Now we're doing the very same thing. I understand why they're doing it, but no way is Paine good enough to be in the team … or captain for that matter.

Him and Jonathan Liew have an ongoing feud. Liew has called out a few racially questionable statements and Agnew has sort of lost the plot and is calling Liew a racist (an odd defence in response to being called out for being racist). Agnew has made about 30 tweets about it this morning venting.

Seems to be the way of winning an argument these days … just call the other person racist. Works every time :)

i saw nothing racist in their exchange today. strange response that aggers mentioned the lady in question is indian. assuming the lady liew was mentioning was her in the first place?

This is how it started again today.
View attachment 735070
yeah gathered that. But thanks for posting it here. Easier to follow - i went to twitter and found myself reading all the other crap!

If what liew said is true then i can see some "offence".

Hard to sledge a bloke that has just played one of the all time greatest test innings and it would probably just have the effect of firing him up even more so wouldn't be a great idea.
Hard to know unless it’s been done, I mean his history with beating the s**t out of a bloke repeatedly should probably be used in some way to degrade his character. I’d use it. Just tear him apart. * him.

In practical terms, the idea of neutral umpires (ie they don't hail from the partipating nations) is pretty much obsolete. It's a relic from the bad old days when home nation umpiring was dodgy as hell.

Unfortunately it is still an issue, not so much because of a bias on the part of the umpires, but because of the viewer's perception. Watching Wilson screw the pooch we can all wonder at his competence but it's not to easy to accuse him of being biased or favouring 'his' nation/team.

Now imagine if he was English.

We are stuck with 'neutral' umpires (even if it means the best umpires are frozen out of major series) because we supporters can't hack it. Because an Australian will accuse an Indian umpire of making calls that favour India; just as an Indian fan will run straight to accusing a Pakistan umpire of being in Pakistan's pocket if they disagree with their call or if they just plain get it wrong.

It's not healthy for the game but it's our fault.
The other thing the ICC could introduce is the ability for the umpire to send a call to the 3rd umpire to look at. At the end of the day we just want the right decision to be made. I know it will slow the game down a little, but that could be rectified with 10 minutes taken off the lunch break.

Back