• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Anyone who can listen to Test Match Special with Agnew and Boycott is a more patient man than I. The channel 9 boys were less biased in commentary than those two are. They love to blame T20 cricket for anything and everything as if England are the only nation who play it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The other thing the ICC could introduce is the ability for the umpire to send a call to the 3rd umpire to look at. At the end of the day we just want the right decision to be made. I know it will slow the game down a little, but that could be rectified with 10 minutes taken off the lunch break.
This.

Right now when an LBW is given the third umpire looks for the no ball. When a bowler gets an LBW decision go his way we need the third umpire to intervene only if the incorrect decision is made. No one reviews the front foot no ball on the field, it is automatic. Same needs to happen with all LBW decisions to be sure it is out.

Forget the review system, just have the third umpire overlook anything and pass a call on any errors made. Will it take longer? Yes. Will we make errors? No.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone who can listen to Test Match Special with Agnew and Boycott is a more patient man than I. The channel 9 boys were less biased in commentary than those two are. They love to blame T20 cricket for anything and everything as if England are the only nation who play it.
T20 cricket has most definitely diminished the standard of long form cricket. For every team.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Hard to know unless it’s been done, I mean his history with beating the s**t out of a bloke repeatedly should probably be used in some way to degrade his character. I’d use it. Just tear him apart. fu** him.

On the field Stokes has withstood everything ever thrown at him.

He cut his teeth with the ball, and the bat, against Australia’s most dominant incarnation of the last 13 years when Johnson was at his fiercest and Clarke spearheaded a team that could actually bat. A century and a couple of five-fers in that that series for a kid starting his test career showed early on that he is not going to be rattled.

He is from the rare breed that don’t just play well when things are toughest or the pressure is highest. He actually gets better.

Suggesting he’d be rattled by a few words when he’s already actually dealt with the court case and the eyes of the cricket world scrutinising the whole affair is tantamount to lunacy. It’s inviting another wrecking ball performance.

lazy77

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

I like Agnew. He has a pleasant voice and seems smart. Kind of reminds me of a slightly stiffer version of the late Peter Roebuck.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The melts in here are astounding. Even by bigfooty cricket standards. Wowee.

We just witnessed one of the all-time great cricket innings. So what if the dude was playing for the opposition?

Any true fan of the great game of cricket will feel privileged to have seen that.

How about the reverse sweep for six, falling over? Outrageous stuff.

I'm no fan of Paine but the vitriol in this thread is something else. Some of you should hang your heads in shame.

Oh yeah, and how about all of the turnips who put the knife into Smith, now saying 'end the bans'?

He got banned because of pinheads like you. CA were afraid of losing $$$ because of pinheads like you.

And now you want Smith back. After the s**t you talked about him, he has every right to tell each and every one of you to go fu** yourselves.

With all of that said, wtf was Paine thinking? When Stokes and Bairstow were spanking us, it was time to slow everything down.

Did Paine do that? No. If anything he seemed to speed things up. And the review was an absolute shocker.

I'm one of the GOAT's greatest fans, he is the last player I would expect to fumble that ball. God damn it.

Well it's okay. I put a few cheeky dollars on the Poms at 17s with Leach at the crease.

My only regret is that I didn't put more on. Oh well. It was enough to celebrate like a mad man last night. And that's what I did.

Cricket's the winner, folks.
Yes, how dare some Australian Cricket fans be upset after losing a game they shouldn't have lost which would have retained the Ashes in England for the first time since 2001. A result which has now made retaining the Ashes at serious thread of not happening. Yes, how dare there be some melts. I just can't work it out...

I also love how often we also hear "Cricket's the winner!" "It's good for the game!" when it's Australia who happens to be on the losing end. Funny that. Why can't Australian Cricket fans just be happy when they lose? Jesus Christ some of you a thick.

Look, you're clearly not that invested in the Australian Cricket team. If you're more into the sport of cricket than the national team, that is fine, but can people like you p*ss off with you're condescending bullshit about how we all should be happy we just lost an unlosable game in a big series? That would be nice.

Also something tells me if North Melbourne lost a grand final by blowing a 40 point 3rd quarter lead you wouldn't be having the same attitude to that than you are having now. Funny that.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
If anyone needed proof that sledging can work you only have to look at Matt Prior's comments after Headingley. Nathan Lyon has a little word to him during an Ashes series and Gaz is still living rent-free in the Big Cheese's head 6 years later.
Yep, sledging has always been fine. Maybe cut down on the swear words but apart from that the people who acted after sandpaper gate that Aussie players should just stand in the field silently and tip their caps every time an opposition player hits a 4 just don't get it. When we bat in the next test just listen in how chatty some of the English fielders are.

You can really get into the heads of some players.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The strength of Australian cricket over the years has been our policy to name a team first, then select the captain from that list. We used to laugh at England's idea of picking a captain first, then the team because they picked some very ordinary cricketers as captain. Now we're doing the very same thing. I understand why they're doing it, but no way is Paine good enough to be in the team … or captain for that matter.
Yeah, you just don't pick a captain because you think there are no other captaincy options. Maybe if you're got a great team of 8 or 9 other players and the guy up for captain has great leadership and tactical skills but are we even sure Paine is that great at these? If Paine is still the best keeper than fine, but picking him also because you think he has to be captain is not going to make us the best again.

Just look at the late 90's. We kept picking Taylor at least a few years past when he should have been dropped. Taylor was a good captain. We could get away with it because we had a great core of players then. Bowling is fine, but our batting core is not good enough to get away with it now.

Last edited:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why do you even need a captain nowadays? Just have a leadership group that decide things together, coaches have the final say on disagreements. Completely overrated position.

Great by Paine,just move on and stop wasting negative energy on the coulda,woulda,shoulda beens.

We have been the best team in the last test,it took a freakish innings by Stokes to change the result.

Brush it off,forget it and move on.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Great by Paine,just move on and stop wasting negative energy on the coulda,woulda,shoulda beens.

We have been the best team in the last test,it took a freakish innings by Stokes to change the result.

It took some of the all time great chokes to change the result. Missed runouts, dropped catches, horrible bowling, horrible captaincy.

Oh and if Paine didn't review a ball that was 100% not out we still win the game anyway

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
With Smith back the captaincy is now a novelty in the Australian cricket team. Whoever tosses the coin doesn’t call the shots - Smith does. After this series hopefully Carey comes in for Paine and the ‘official’ captaincy can go to a Cummins or Head until Smith has served his ban

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

England didn’t win that match, we lost it. Plus Lyon was appealing to the most incompetent umpire I have ever seen in my life

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Look, you're clearly not that invested in the Australian Cricket team. If you're more into the sport of cricket than the national team, that is fine, but can people like you p*ss off with you're condescending bulls**t about how we all should be happy we just lost an unlosable game in a big series? That would be nice.

Also something tells me if North Melbourne lost a grand final by blowing a 40 point 3rd quarter lead you wouldn't be having the same attitude to that than you are having now. Funny that.
I was cheering for Australia (in my mind).

I like Cummins, Lyon, the new opener kid, Bancroft, and I'm a huge fan of the Lebuschagne dude. I want these guys to succeed.

But it doesn't affect me. It is just a game.

If North Melbourne got stooged in a Grand Final the way that Sydney was stooged in 2016 or Adelaide was stooged in 2017 I would be pretty pissed off.

But not pissed off enough to say s**t like 'player X should never play for Australia again' or '* off paine you spud' or any of the other nonsense posted in this thread.

Some people here have no class and no shame. It is pathetic.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m leaning towards bringing Starc in for Pattinson in the next test. He’ll offer something different for the English batsmen to face and he’ll help Lyon with his footmarks.

The other important reason is that I seriously doubt that the English will attack his wayward deliveries. They just got bowled out for 60 and will be s**t scared of a repeat of that and only posted a total after blocking nearly everything for 90 overs. Starc is likely to get away with a fair bit of rubbish while also being more likely to produce wicket taking spells. He’ll also be as fired up as he’s ever been in his career.

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
On the field Stokes has withstood everything ever thrown at him.

He cut his teeth with the ball, and the bat, against Australia’s most dominant incarnation of the last 13 years when Johnson was at his fiercest and Clarke spearheaded a team that could actually bat. A century and a couple of five-fers in that that series for a kid starting his test career showed early on that he is not going to be rattled.

He is from the rare breed that don’t just play well when things are toughest or the pressure is highest. He actually gets better.

Suggesting he’d be rattled by a few words when he’s already actually dealt with the court case and the eyes of the cricket world scrutinising the whole affair is tantamount to lunacy. It’s inviting another wrecking ball performance.
Yep I would go the opposite approach with him . Clearly lifts a cog or two when the heat is on .

I would be dead silent when he arrived at the crease . No words , no encouraging bowlers , only pointing to move the field.

It’s amazing how effective that can be against combative players. It’s worth a try for 4-5 overs .

thejockey

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
keilor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
I’m probably on my own but I think Australia will win one of the last two tests and retain the Ashes.

Bar Stokes heroics England’s batting is woeful . They are going to give enough looks for Australia to take 20 wickets in one of the games .

Yep Australia’s batting is ordinary but I think they can out bat the Poms .

Will be a 2-2 series if weather doesn’t intervene

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
This is how it started again today.
View attachment 735070
Sounds quite plausible. Aggers has completely lost the plot since becoming a bit of a minor celebrity.
lmao i just caught up on their last spat. Aggers obviously doesn't mind getting on the sauce and having a bit of a tweet every now and then. You'd think arguing with the same person who you sent abusive DMs that were then publicised wouldn't be the best idea but he can't help himself.
I can't believe Boycott still has a job. He's going to completely lose it and start yelling racial slurs into the microphone sooner or later.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The strength of Australian cricket over the years has been our policy to name a team first, then select the captain from that list. We used to laugh at England's idea of picking a captain first, then the team because they picked some very ordinary cricketers as captain. Now we're doing the very same thing. I understand why they're doing it, but no way is Paine good enough to be in the team … or captain for that matter.

Well name your captain for the next test remembering we only have 9 choices.Drop Paine and we have no wicket keeper,Carey is not ready as a keeper.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
With Smith back the captaincy is now a novelty in the Australian cricket team. Whoever tosses the coin doesn’t call the shots - Smith does. After this series hopefully Carey comes in for Paine and the ‘official’ captaincy can go to a Cummins or Head until Smith has served his ban
No he doesn't. Smith isn't some captaincy guru, he wasn't much chop when he had the gig. The bowlers, slips fielders and Paine are all working on decisions together as a team, something that wasn't happening under Smith.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m probably on my own but I think Australia will win one of the last two tests and retain the Ashes.

Bar Stokes heroics England’s batting is woeful . They are going to give enough looks for Australia to take 20 wickets in one of the games .

Yep Australia’s batting is ordinary but I think they can out bat the Poms .

Will be a 2-2 series if weather doesn’t intervene

Totally agree,Warner is one of the key players and need a big score from him to put us on the right track.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
No he doesn't. Smith isn't some captaincy guru, he wasn't much chop when he had the gig. The bowlers, slips fielders and Paine are all working on decisions together as a team, something that wasn't happening under Smith.
No, Smith is the leader out there. First test back after a year out and he was waving his arms around setting fields and instructing Paine. You may not think he’s a captaincy guru but it’s obvious that the Australian cricket team look up to him and follow his lead- with or without the official captaincy

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I also love how often we also hear "Cricket's the winner!" "It's good for the game!" when it's Australia who happens to be on the losing end. Funny that. Why can't Australian Cricket fans just be happy when they lose? Jesus Christ some of you a thick.
It took a couple of years to appreciate the epic-ness of Edgbaston. If we don't take one of the next two tests, this one will be worse. At least in Edgbaston we were the ones trying to steal a win when were outplayed most of the match. If we bounce back and takes the Ashes home the Headingly test will be much easier to bare.

For all the brilliance of Australian cricket in the last 30 years, the one thing we don't seem to do is win tight test matches.

We're 1-9 for tests decided by less than 20 runs in that period, with the sole tight victory coming over Sri Lanka in Colombo 1992.

We're 0-4 for tests decided by 1 wicket in that period, although we do have 3 victories by 2 wickets in that time - all against South Africa. 2 of those 4 one-wicket defeats involved 50 run stands for the last wicket - that's only happened in one other test match in cricketing history (earlier this year when Sri Lanka stunned South Africa).

For all the great times Australian cricket has enjoyed since the disaster of the 80's, maybe the above is our recompense.

Back