• Poll closed .

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
If Smith is out I'd replace him with Labuchagne, Harris for Bancroft.

Pattinson maybe for Siddle or Hazlewood. Siddle bowled without luck first innings.

I think England could make it 1-1, may depend on how green the pitch is first morning.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
No need to panic, we are 1-0 up in a series we only need to draw to retain the ashes. I think they will go with minimal changes, Siddle very unlucky for Pattinson and Lubby if Smith doesn't get up. The openers need to fire or Harris will be in for the 4th Test for one of them.

David Warner
Cameron Bancroft
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith/Marnus Lubuschange
Travis Head
Matthew Wade
Tim Paine
James Pattinson
Pat Cummins
Josh Hazelwood
Nathan Lyon

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Will be interesting to see how we go selection wise for the next one. If Smith plays I think Khawaja opens in place of Bancroft and labuschagne should come in at 3. If Smith is out I think Bancroft survives and labuschagne is a straight swap.

I think Pattinson will come in for either Hazlewood or Siddle and I think Siddle is the better of the two options to remain in the eleven right now

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I think Warner will get one more Test as he's likely to come good at any time. right now he's having an all-time shocker so he would want to fail again. I happy to given he and Bancroft a rest and open with Khawaja and Harris.

Likely 3rd Test team

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith (hopefully)
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood.

Siddle unlucky but the other 3 bowlers are better IMO.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even if it's as green as a forrest, bat first as it'll likely be like that all Test anyway. Both batting line up are crap hence will likely s**t the bed under pressure chasing 4th innings.
Fourth innings is a problem. The amount of bed shitting in the first is also likely a problem. Headingley could easily go all Trent Bridge on us.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have a decent recent record here.
Last time we played was 2009:think:

I think the recent record is :

2009 we won by innings and 80
2001 they won
1997 we won by innings and 61
1993 we won by innings and 148

is that right ???

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Fourth innings is a problem. The amount of bed s**tting in the first is also likely a problem. Headingley could easily go all Trent Bridge on us.

Unless it's real bad you can come from behind in the first innings, as we did at Edgbaston, but chasing 200 in the 2nd innings is liable to turn both sides to s**t as both bat as bad as each other.

Oct 5, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

2001 they won

is that right ???

They only won in 2001 because Gilly declared early hoping to bowl them out an win 5-0 but they chased them down.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

2001 they won

is that right ???
1993 and 1997 teams were just a little different from the current crop.
Traditionally, Headingley is the greenest of English decks. 2009 is a surprise, to be honest. The good news is, if it is like that any of Pattinson, Siddle, Cummins and Hazelwood should be able to get seam movement; so England could be bundled cheaper than an Essex hooker as well. (Don't ask, I was told by a freind.)

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
I'd like to see Marnus play at Headingley regardless of whether Smith is available or not. Here's a list of Australian batsmen who've made it past 50 so far:
- Smith
- Head
- Wade
- Labuschagne

One of the current top 3 to take a break - Khawaja has basically been an opener this series the rate the other two are falling. Bancroft is at least earning his keep in the field. Between Khawaja and Warner to get a rest for mine.

If Smith doesn't play, probably unchanged batting lineup from the 4th innings at Lords.

As for bowlers, Pattinson is more or less a monty to come in - the narrative was he didn't play Lords so he could play here. I think Siddle will be rested this one.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Out: Warner, siddle
In: labuchagne, pattinson

Smith will be fine. Warner is an easy wicket. We can't afford to allow England the easy wicket every test.

Khawaja to open and Labuschagne at 3.

I'd love to replace all 3 at the top but can't see it happening

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Pattinson will definitely come back in you feel. Siddle the one to go out. Sids has bowled admirably, but not amazingly. Headingly should get a little bit of extra bounce which will suit Patto.

This is the ground where Starc is probably most at home, but it would b a big call to put him in front of Hazelwood given how the latter bowled in the first innings. Then again, they might think coming back off injury lay off and not much cricket Haze could do with a spell. He also didn't bowl great in the second dig. I think this will be a tight call.

If Smith is no good, Labuschagne obviously comes in for him. I think the way he batted yesterday, Labu comes in regardless. I'm not sure who out of Warner, Bancroft and Khawaja survives. There's pros and cons for all three of them; mostly cons it must be said - which one has the least cons is anyone's guess.... In the second test thread I said Warner is still in front of Bancroft, but I'm starting to reassess that.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
We aren't dropping warner before bancroft, bancroft averages 26 after 10 tests can anybody think of worse numbers for an aussie opener playing double figure tests? You would have to go a long way back i assume.

He has one score over 30 in 7 ashes tests, think about that for a second just one score over 30 in 7 tests and it was his first ashes test, englands quicks have him worked out , he might make 8 off 30 on game 15 off 60 the next but he isn't going to be good enough on this tour.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
We aren't dropping warner before bancroft, bancroft averages 26 after 10 tests can anybody think of worse numbers for an aussie opener playing double figure tests? You would have to go a long way back i assume.
I think you're right. Warner does look shot to pieces. But Bancroft isn't far in front of that, and Warner does have 21 test tons to his name, although only 6 outside Australia and none in England from 10 tests.

Bancroft is managing to soak up some balls, with 40 per dismissal over the two tests. Not good enough, but still something.

Selectors are on a hiding to nothing with this call (if Smith is fit and it comes to that).

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
They will both get the next test anyway as smith likely wont play, if they both fail bancroft will probably get axed, if bancroft gets a decent score and warner fails who knows what happens guess if if marnus looks good again warner could be axed.

It's a horrible situation when rory arsey burns looks better than our entire top order thats for sure.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Only one of Siddle/Hazlewood plays. The attacks a bit samey with them both in the side. Hope they resist the temptation to play Starc due to witnessing Archers impact as intimidating with well directed short stuff has never been in his armoury.

Warner will play and he will come off at some stage. Hopefully at an important juncture. Whether Smith plays or not can he shake off the impact of that hit and have the same inpact? If he can it will be stuff of ashes folklore

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Mar 25, 2003
Only one of Siddle/Hazlewood plays. The attacks a bit samey with them both in the side. Hope they resist the temptation to play Starc due to witnessing Archers impact as intimidating with well directed short stuff has never been in his armoury.
Starc's bouncer not as brutal as Archer's, but he does have it in him.

Back