2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Where any Indian bookmakers seen at the ground yesterday?
Haha there was a lot of money to be made on an England win at 9 wickets down and more than 70 needed. I think sometimes it's worth considering having a punt at those odds just to feel better if it all goes pear-shaped, wink-wink

Disclaimer: I am an Indian bookmaker

Tim Paine says he's stripping himself of DRS duties. As our 'leader' with the best possible view from behind the stumps, his confidence has clearly gone. There doesn't appear to be any redeeming features to his game at the moment - poor field settings, useless use of DRS, can't bat. His keeping has also just got a bit untidy. He'll see out the series but really needs to assert more authority and confidence. At the moment he presents as timid, befuddled and unsettled.

I think we have to go young. We’re really just treading water with our batting and our bowlers getting us over the line in our wins. Think we messed up with Renshaw, probably will never get a look in again but if you’re going to debut a 20 year old you have to be prepared to stick with him and not drop him at the first opportunity. At the moment we honestly couldn’t do any worse than pick Pucovski. Patterson should also be getting a look. Think those 2 would be on par with Wade and Khawaja with the added bonus of being 10 years younger.

Pakistan series wouldnt mind seeing something like:

Warner
Harris/Renshaw
Labs
Smith
Kurtis
Pucovski
Carey (will be Paine until next year most likely)
Bowlers

They’d probably still be a little fragile but with time on their side. Can’t be carrying 33 year olds scoring less than 20 and declining rapidly.

The whole problem with selecting a 1st Test team (Nov 21) is again these T20 games from Oct 27 till Nov 8 robbing guys like Carey playing shield cricket to push his test claims.Same with Glenn Maxwell,lets give him the opportunity to play all the shield games but highly unlikely they will leave him out of the T20 side.With Maxwell he is only being considered on how he performs in T20 and 1 day cricket as there is no other cricket to judge him on.The early shield games will be very important for Bancroft, plus the other batsman you have on your list and they will not be involved in the T20 except say Warner and Smith

Last edited:

Tim Paine says he's stripping himself of DRS duties. As our 'leader' with the best possible view from behind the stumps, his confidence has clearly gone. There doesn't appear to be any redeeming features to his game at the moment - poor field settings, useless use of DRS, can't bat. His keeping has also just got a bit untidy. He'll see out the series but really needs to assert more authority and confidence. At the moment he presents as timid, befuddled and unsettled.

Would think his wicket keeping would improve a lot without the job as captain as well but we have no one else.Where did you hear about Paine stripped himself of DRS duties because you are correct the keeper is in the best spot.

Would think his wicket keeping would improve a lot without the job as captain as well but we have no one else.Where did you hear about Paine stripped himself of DRS duties because you are correct the keeper is in the best spot.

Straight from the horse's mouth. He's mentally shot to pieces if you ask me.

Anyone know where to see the played and missed stats that have been bandied about this series? I reckon for all his late heroics Stokes was pretty bloody jammy
There is always an element of luck in an innings like that, but it also takes considerable skill and this guy has pulled it off twice within a month. He's got some serious balls, I doubt most people would survive a teabagging from this ginger lad

He wasn't being serious about handing over DRS duties.

Our own cricket board's website are running with the headline. Tongue-in-cheek or not (and I don't know whether or not it was), this will now be seized upon and rammed down our throats - "your captain doesn't have the confidence to make correct decisions".

For those of you worried about the umpiring in the next two tests, Ruchira Palliyaguruge, who is not even on the ICC elite panel, will be umpiring one of the last two tests along with Marais Erasmus and Kumar Dharmasena.

Our own cricket board's website are running with the headline. Tongue-in-cheek or not (and I don't know whether or not it was), this will now be seized upon and rammed down our throats - your captain doesn't have the confidence to make correct decisions.
It clearly was tongue in cheek. And I dont think it will be used or 'seized upon'. As people have said, the keeper is always consulted for DRS - to think otherwise is laughable.

He ****ed it up. His VC played a part as well. Suck it up and get on with the next one.

The real test of Paine's leadership will be over the next few days - getting the team up off the floor and getting them ready for the 4th.

It clearly was tongue in cheek. And I dont think it will be used or 'seized upon'. As people have said, the keeper is always consulted for DRS - to think otherwise is laughable.

He f’ed it up. His VC played a part as well. Suck it up and get on with the next one.

The real test of Paine's leadership will be over the next few days - getting the team up off the floor and getting them ready for the 4th.

The English media will remind him of it, mark my words.

He f'ed it up, but he keeps f'ing it up and hasn't yet got one right in the series. His confidence is on the floor. We can "suck it up and get on with the next one" all we like, but to pretend there isn't an issue would be neglectful. Anyone can get a few wrong but he hasn't yet got one right. He actually cannot have done any worse.

Agree wholeheartedly with the last part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He f’ed it up. His VC played a part as well. Suck it up and get on with the next one.

Just checked it out and agree tongue in cheek stuff by Paine.I like the way Paine handles all the questions from the press though.Yes the upcoming tour game is very important for the team and important they re group and look ahead.

The English media will remind him of it, mark my words.

He f'ed it up, but he keeps f'ing it up and hasn't yet got one right in the series. His confidence is on the floor. We can "suck it up and get on with the next one" all we like, but to pretend there isn't an issue would be neglectful. Anyone can get a few wrong but he hasn't yet got one right. He actually cannot have done any worse.

Agree wholeheartedly with the last part.
Im not denying he has been poor with the reviews. Im not defending him at all. But the DRS duties are not going to be handed over to someone else. The wicketkeeper is in the best position. It just won't happen.

Watch the post match interview. About 5mins in. It was a very minor comment. I think you're reading into it far too deeply as did the journo who posted the article on the cricket website. He knows he's been poor as does Langer. It was a desperation review. It wont happen again.

Making a comment like that is the least of Paine's concerns. The media won't target Paine's admission of his DRS flop when they can take aim at multiple batsmen, our bowling efforts, continue to rub Stokes' knock in our face, the fact they won after scoring 67, or an endless amount of other targets.

For those of you worried about the umpiring in the next two tests, Ruchira Palliyaguruge, who is not even on the ICC elite panel, will be umpiring one of the last two tests along with Marais Erasmus and Kumar Dharmasena.
With the use of DRS for poor systems, why do the umpires have to be neutral. Why can't we just get the best umpires for the job.

Im not denying he has been poor with the reviews. Im not defending him at all. But the DRS duties are not going to be handed over to someone else. The wicketkeeper is in the best position. It just won't happen.

Watch the post match interview. About 5mins in. Its was a very minor comment. I think you're reading into it far too deeply as did the journo who posted the article on the cricket website. He knows he's been poor as does Langer. It was a desperation review. It wont happen again.

Making a comment like that is the least of Paine's concerns. The media won't target Paine's admission of his DRS flop when they can take aim at multiple batsmen, our bowling efforts, continue to rub Stokes' knock in our face, the fact they won after scoring 67, or an endless amount of other targets.

Good post, fair enough about the review comments.

I can understand how Stokes going into ODI mode would create panic in a side's bowling plans. Why do you think we were so poor with the second new ball yesterday? It seemed so out of character for our potent bowling attack.

Tim Paine the all round good guy Captains comments...

It's hard to take, losing that from that position. But you have to tip your hat sometimes, Ben Stokes played an unbelieveable innings and it was too good for us. That was probably the best Test innings I've ever seen.

There's probably always things you can do differently, but cricket is a game of inches. It tests your character, but as I said to the boys then it's not the end of the world. It's a game of cricket, and we're here to win the series
Hey you should had already won the series mr Paine.

Good post, fair enough about the review comments.

I can understand how Stokes going into ODI mode would create panic in a side's bowling plans. Why do you think we were so poor with the second new ball yesterday? It seemed so out of character for our potent bowling atrack.
We bowled 10x better with the old ball. Probably because it wasnt doing anything so we focused on line and length. We strangled them early on and applied good pressure.

As soon as the new ball was taken, they started throwing it up expecting it to swing or banging it in short looking for a bit of a bounce. Unfortunately, a new ball can also bring easier scoring especially with the Stokes and Bairstow types who enjoy the ball coming on a bit more. We just tried far too hard and were too impatient. Better after lunch but by that stage Stokes was on his way.

Should have kept doing exactly what we were doing with the old ball.

It's getting incredibly tiresome always being the ones on the other end of the result in these amazing games and having someone say "It's good for cricket". It just isn't anymore in this country. It's downright devastating.
If England win the series,it will haunt us but if we win the next test,we can look at it fondly with a little chuckle.

It’s all in Australia’s hands.

Back