2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not denying he has been poor with the reviews. Im not defending him at all. But the DRS duties are not going to be handed over to someone else. The wicketkeeper is in the best position. It just won't happen.

Watch the post match interview. About 5mins in. Its was a very minor comment. I think you're reading into it far too deeply as did the journo who posted the article on the cricket website. He knows he's been poor as does Langer. It was a desperation review. It wont happen again.

Making a comment like that is the least of Paine's concerns. The media won't target Paine's admission of his DRS flop when they can take aim at multiple batsmen, our bowling efforts, continue to rub Stokes' knock in our face, the fact they won after scoring 67, or an endless amount of other targets.
I agree with all this except for the "it won't happen again" part. There are lousy reviewers and Paine looks to be one. Once this is established it tends to go one of two ways

1) You just keep doing it because you're just a s**t judge and you won't get any better ie Shane Watson

2) You start second-guessing yourself all over the place and you don't review what you should

As a captain with so much heat on you when you've been getting it wrong, this is hard to negotiate. He may not 'hand over' DRS duties but he will likely be more passive and ask the slips/close-in fielders to make the call

Ultimately, the umpires should control this process. Ian Chappell has said that having the players escalate to the third umpire is garbage since the beginning and I completely agree

In the upcoming tour game who would you leave out.I would rest Paine (after all the negative stuff on BF I think he needs to re charge his batteries,lol),Cummings,Pattinson,Labuschange and Lyon.With Carey still in England would be a great opportunity to get him to join the team for this game but not sure whether it can be done and doubt they would do it any way.Even if Paine in the team I would give Head the captaincy duties and even get Wade to keep for a while.

In the upcoming tour game who would you leave out.I would rest Paine (after all the negative stuff on BF I think he needs to re charge his batteries,lol),Cummings,Pattinson,Labuschange and Lyon.With Carey still in England would be a great opportunity to get him to join the team for this game but not sure whether it can be done and doubt they would do it any way.Even if Paine in the team I would give Head the captaincy duties and even get Wade to keep for a while.

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head*
Wade+
Marsh
Neser
Starc
Siddle

Top three need time in the middle, Labuschagne can work on his spin bowling, Smith needs to get himself up and running again, Paine needs a break, Lyon needs a break, the bowlers pick themselves.

I agree with all this except for the "it won't happen again" part. There are lousy reviewers and Paine looks to be one. Once this is established it tends to go one of two ways

1) You just keep doing it because you're just a s**t judge and you won't get any better ie Shane Watson

2) You start second-guessing yourself all over the place and you don't review what you should

As a captain with so much heat on you when you've been getting it wrong, this is hard to negotiate. He may not 'hand over' DRS duties but he will likely be more passive and ask the slips/close-in fielders to make the call

Ultimately, the umpires should control this process. Ian Chappell has said that having the players escalate to the third umpire is garbage since the beginning and I completely agree
I think Watson's motive for excessive reviewing stemmed a lot from a selfish perspective. Agree Paine could retreat into his shell and become more passive but he cant afford to be purely from the view he gets.

Problem is every bowler thinks its out. Broad suckered Root into one that was clearly missing as well.

I should have been more specific - I doubt a panicked review like last night won't happen again. A stab in the dark. He's not great thats for sure. However, I think reviewing can be fickled a bit. Umpires calls etc.

He got the Lyon one wrong in the first test against Burns - he copped a lot of flack in here about it. I would pin that more on Lyon personally. Paine could have easily been unsighted with the ball tracking down leg. You dont know what the conversation was though. Just my observation on that one..

While it WAS undoubtedly a bad call seeing comments like ‘worst lbw decision in years’ is hyperbole of a fairly high order. To the naked eye I actually legit thought it was spearing leg side. Yes, I’m not an umpire and a paid professional should know better but there have been many many worse decisions, probably a handful in this series already.
No there haven't.

The melts in here are astounding. Even by bigfooty cricket standards. Wowee.

We just witnessed one of the all-time great cricket innings. So what if the dude was playing for the opposition?

Any true fan of the great game of cricket will feel privileged to have seen that.

How about the reverse sweep for six, falling over? Outrageous stuff.

I'm no fan of Paine but the vitriol in this thread is something else. Some of you should hang your heads in shame.

Oh yeah, and how about all of the turnips who put the knife into Smith, now saying 'end the bans'?

He got banned because of pinheads like you. CA were afraid of losing $$$ because of pinheads like you.

And now you want Smith back. After the s**t you talked about him, he has every right to tell each and every one of you to go * yourselves.

With all of that said, wtf was Paine thinking? When Stokes and Bairstow were spanking us, it was time to slow everything down.

Did Paine do that? No. If anything he seemed to speed things up. And the review was an absolute shocker.

I'm one of the GOAT's greatest fans, he is the last player I would expect to fumble that ball. God damn it.

Well it's okay. I put a few cheeky dollars on the Poms at 17s with Leach at the crease.

My only regret is that I didn't put more on. Oh well. It was enough to celebrate like a mad man last night. And that's what I did.

Cricket's the winner, folks.

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head*
Wade+
Marsh
Neser
Starc
Siddle

Top three need time in the middle, Labuschagne can work on his spin bowling, Smith needs to get himself up and running again, Paine needs a break, Lyon needs a break, the bowlers pick themselves.

I think Bancroft has to play and I agree with the top 3 need time in the middle and the reason I left Labuschange out.

Being on tour for 4 months has to be tough.
Langer must de demanding high standards and discipline too. Must be a tough regime.
Then you get to the finish line and let it slip away. The wheels might fall off .
Now there is a gap between tests with a tour match in Derby. They have to drag themselves down to Derbyshire for a game they probably dont need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just witnessed one of the all-time great cricket innings. So what if the dude was playing for the opposition?

Any true fan of the great game of cricket will feel privileged to have seen that.

That six was epic. And the flick off that attempted yorker from Hazlewood.

Good bats GMs.

I'm no fan of Paine but the vitriol in this thread is something else. Some of you should hang your heads in shame.

Oh yeah, and how about all of the turnips who put the knife into Smith, now saying 'end the bans'?

He got banned because of pinheads like you. CA were afraid of losing $$$ because of pinheads like you.

And now you want Smith back. After the s**t you talked about him, he has every right to tell each and every one of you to go fu** yourselves.

With all of that said, wtf was Paine thinking? When Stokes and Bairstow were spanking us, it was time to slow everything down.

Did Paine do that? No. If anything he seemed to speed things up. And the review was an absolute shocker.

I'm one of the GOAT's greatest fans, he is the last player I would expect to fumble that ball. God damn it.

Well it's okay. I put a few cheeky dollars on the Poms at 17s with Leach at the crease.

My only regret is that I didn't put more on. Oh well. It was enough to celebrate like a mad man last night. And that's what I did.

Cricket's the winner, folks.

Stirring stuff, but I'd rather Australia had won than the game of cricket. Honestly.

With the use of DRS for poor systems, why do the umpires have to be neutral. Why can't we just get the best umpires for the job.
In practical terms, the idea of neutral umpires (ie they don't hail from the partipating nations) is pretty much obsolete. It's a relic from the bad old days when home nation umpiring was dodgy as hell.

Unfortunately it is still an issue, not so much because of a bias on the part of the umpires, but because of the viewer's perception. Watching Wilson screw the pooch we can all wonder at his competence but it's not to easy to accuse him of being biased or favouring 'his' nation/team.

Now imagine if he was English.

We are stuck with 'neutral' umpires (even if it means the best umpires are frozen out of major series) because we supporters can't hack it. Because an Australian will accuse an Indian umpire of making calls that favour India; just as an Indian fan will run straight to accusing a Pakistan umpire of being in Pakistan's pocket if they disagree with their call or if they just plain get it wrong.

It's not healthy for the game but it's our fault.

It's getting incredibly tiresome always being the ones on the other end of the result in these amazing games and having someone say "It's good for cricket". It just isn't anymore in this country. It's downright devastating.

It's a good point. It does seem we never win the ones that go right to the wire anymore. Edgbaston 2005, Cardiff 2009, the 1st test of 2013 when Haddin almost did what Stokes did and pull off a miracle with the last wicket, and yesterday.

At a guess from little old TV back then, be around Hazlewood pace. Not genuinely quick but fast medium. Bowled a killer late outswinger.

Botham slowed down as injuries caught up and he lost his outswinger. Still his talent was still there, probably became more a batting all rounder later in his career.
I would say close to the mark . One of the fellas I know over there used to play against Botham pre back injury
Said he was very skiddy off the deck and deceptively quicker then he looked.

Comparison he used back then (2002) was Andy Bichel pace , so I reckon your on the money .

In practical terms, the idea of neutral umpires (ie they don't hail from the partipating nations) is pretty much obsolete. It's a relic from the bad old days when home nation umpiring was dodgy as hell.

Unfortunately it is still an issue, not so much because of a bias on the part of the umpires, but because of the viewer's perception. Watching Wilson screw the pooch we can all wonder at his competence but it's not to easy to accuse him of being biased or favouring 'his' nation/team.

Now imagine if he was English.

We are stuck with 'neutral' umpires (even if it means the best umpires are frozen out of major series) because we supporters can't hack it. Because an Australian will accuse an Indian umpire of making calls that favour India; just as an Indian fan will run straight to accusing a Pakistan umpire of being in Pakistan's pocket if they disagree with their call or if they just plain get it wrong.

It's not healthy for the game but it's our fault.

Therein lies the problem. England have entrusted an Australian to coach their cricket team but everyone is ok with it because he's a professional bloke trying to do a job. No question of sabotage. So why can't we think the same about umpires? Erasmus aside, the best umps come from England and Australia.

It's a good point. It does seem we never win the ones that go right to the wire anymore. Edgbaston 2005, Cardiff 2009, the 1st test of 2013 when Haddin almost did what Stokes did and pull off a miracle with the last wicket, and yesterday.
They had a stat on SEN today . In tests decided by 1 or less Australia is 0/6
5 runs or less they are 1/5 , that win was in 1902 .

So it isn’t just people thinking it , it’s actually factual 😳

Do you think anyone who disagrees with you is one of those? You aren't God's gift to cricket imbecile, or football for that matter.
It’s not about being gods gift mate, it’s about directing your focus on the right areas. Blaming Paine is just typical of everyone right now not being able to form their own opinions. Get to the real root of the issue like I’ve already stated, it’s tedious that it can’t be comprehended.

Back