Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Nope. This series has 1981 written all over it. Australia win the first test. Rain ruins the second which ends in a draw. Then the third test - at Headingley - where England win the unwinnable. Or rather, Australia lose the unloseable. It happens on the back of a blistering century from a controversial all-rounder.

Any of this sounding familiar?

ROFL. IMO smith will be the difference between the 2 sides. The aussies will win the next 2 tests if he plays in them. When the series is over people will look back and say the poms only won that third test because smith didn't play.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I'd agree there's not a very strong case for bringing in Marsh but he must surely be getting close to being superior to at least one of our batsmen on their current form.
Not to mention he offers something with ball in hand.

For the most part, Marsh has been head in hands in the test arena. I think that's what most of the negativity is based on in here.

It's like people can't get their heads around the fact that cricketers can improve as they mature and gain experience. Its ******* nuts.

If Marsh can knock out a 30-40(Or occupy the crease for a team mate to score) and take a couple of wickets, he has done his job for the most part.

Inspired selection? Hardly - But probably earned a crack with MOTM honours against Derby.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is he? Other than a front running hundred, Wade averages about 5 in his other 5 innings

In the same conditions Marsh would have struggled just as much if not more. Keep the openers and Khawaja at 3. Labuschagne at 5, Head at 6. Far better line up.

Please don't pick Marsh. We've been down this road how many times, and it hasn't worked.

His performance has been too good to not be selected and he has performed well under pressure before.

Khawaja OUT: As much as I like him he's not doing enough for the team
Smith IN: Obvious choice, should be fine now and recovered from the knock
Wade or Head OUT (But not both): Like Khawaja they're not performing enough, but one needs to stay to hold up the middle order
Marsh IN: He's delivered before and has performed well in situations like this before

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
His performance has been too good to not be selected and he has performed well under pressure before.

A big difference between performing against a second rate county side and performing in a test match where you're facing the likes of Broad and Archer.

I couldn't see Mitch Marsh surviving long against them when better batsmen than him have struggled.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
There's not a huge difference between 1st & 2nd Division county cricket. They all played in the same league until 2000 when they introduced the two division format. Joe Root earnt his Test Cap from a 2nd Division county side as did Joe Denly. Jofra Archer comes from the Division 2 Sussex side, Stuart Broad from 2nd Division Leicestershire and the list goes on.

Last edited:

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
So Marsh is the next Starc then with some people here? His credentials rise when he's out of the side?

Mitch Marsh is not a Test batsman, bowling a handful of overs per innings does not change that. If we're not confident in Wade we should've gone with a pure batsman outside the squad.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
So Marsh is the next Starc then with some people here? His credentials rise when he's out of the side?

Mitch Marsh is not a Test batsman, bowling a handful of overs per innings does not change that. If we're not confident in Wade we should've gone with a pure batsman outside the squad.

Well, he just got motm in the last tour game. Should we base selection off a vibe instead of results?

The odds are in favour of Marsh on a number of levels-
- MOTM a couple of days ago
- Our test selectors have a hard on for all rounders
- Langer is Western Australian and has coached him domestically.
- Wade isn't rated by the selectors and has played 1 good innings and failed in 5

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
the team looks okay .....the issue atm is our left handers have not got a clue against the poms...they are really struggling...3RH in the top six looks good

marnus deserves a crack at 3....smith no brainer at 4...head they like.....Marsh gives us the defensive option with starc in the side

side is balanced looks good...... I dont mind usman as an opener....they could go harris....but I reckon the will give usman one last shot
Not sure about Starc really not

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Well, he just got motm in the last tour game. Should we base selection off a vibe instead of results?

The odds are in favour of Marsh on a number of levels-
- MOTM a couple of days ago
- Our test selectors have a hard on for all rounders
- Langer is Western Australian and has coached him domestically.
- Wade isn't rated by the selectors and has played 1 good innings and failed in 5

He averages 25 after 31 Tests. I don't care that he scored a 70 odd in a game that wasn't even first class standard, he's had numerous gifted opportunities since Watson was dropped and it's time for him to get some proper Shield Cricket to iron out his game. I don't want him to fail as a player, but we've tried to groom him at Test level and it doesn't work, he needs to be able to get it together at State level or we'll ruin him as a long form player.

The stuff about Wade is just random speculation. He came in and replaced Peter Nevill based on nothing, they clearly like him. They also had a very easy opportunity to choose Burns/Patterson over him given they had recent Test form but they chose Wade. I think they like him but also realistic that he's 33 and it's not productive to give him too many chances.

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
He averages 25 after 31 Tests. I don't care that he scored a 70 odd in a game that wasn't even first class standard, he's had numerous gifted opportunities since Watson was dropped and it's time for him to get some proper Shield Cricket to iron out his game. I don't want him to fail as a player, but we've tried to groom him at Test level and it doesn't work, he needs to be able to get it together at State level or we'll ruin him as a long form player.

The stuff about Wade is just random speculation. He came in and replaced Peter Nevill based on nothing, they clearly like him. They also had a very easy opportunity to choose Burns/Patterson over him given they had recent Test form but they chose Wade. I think they like him but also realistic that he's 33 and it's not productive to give him too many chances.

I don't disagree with you re. Marsh.

When your all rounder has his averages the wrong way around after so many tests it's apparent things havnt quite panned out the way the selectors had hoped.

Thats when Wade was selected as a keeper. As a stand alone bat, he had to kick the door down, replace it, then kick it down again. Then bat higher up the order. He forced his way in through weight of runs but has been shown up in English conditions.

1 good innings out of 6 will always apply immense pressure at 33 years of age, unless you have credits.

Not even sure shield cricket allows anyone to iron out their game anymore. So much pygama s**t mixed in these days, the need to feel bat on ball has never been higher.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nope. This series has 1981 written all over it. Australia win the first test. Rain ruins the second which ends in a draw. Then the third test - at Headingley - where England win the unwinnable. Or rather, Australia lose the unloseable. It happens on the back of a blistering century from a controversial all-rounder.

Any of this sounding familiar?

So you're telling me Stokes is going to take 5 wickets for stuff all to win the match for England like Beefy did in the 4th test in 81?

Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Khawaja OUT: As much as I like him he's not doing enough for the team
Smith IN: Obvious choice, should be fine now and recovered from the knock
Wade or Head OUT (But not both): Like Khawaja they're not performing enough, but one needs to stay to hold up the middle order
Marsh IN: He's delivered before and has performed well in situations like this before
He got a few runs and wickets against a 3rd rate team and that is too good to leave out? Give me a break. He is just ordinary

Back