2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose bringing back both hack Mitch’s in one test was too much to hope for, shame they dropped Khawaja though

Don’t understand this resting Patto every second test, sure he’s coming back from a long lay off, but as a bowler you need some momentum, playing one test every 3 weeks doesn’t allow him to get any rhythm

Still one of the fast bowlers to be left out of the 12 selected.Starc or Siddle I would think and I suppose a lot depends on the wicket.

True. Sorry, I meant Starc into the XII rather than into the team. Gonna be an interesting call. I hope they base it on conditions.

I've just had to go and make sure I've not missed out on news that Pattinson injured himself again, as it'd be the only way he'd be losing his place in the team at this stage?

3/56 from 30 overs for the match, a useful 20 in a 51-run partnership to steady the innings a bit, plus he was the only bowler not collared by Stokes.

What am I missing here?
No this guy deserves his place if selected. Absolutely no doubt. I thought he just might need a rest. Sharpen him up for the Fifth Test. However if he stays in Starc can stay out. I think the one thing the Ozzies do not want is someone who leaks a lot of runs in these games that only one or two batsman per side get a score.

As much as i would have liked to see him get another go and open with warner, i think dropping Khawaja is the right move.
Can't drop Harris after only 1 test, he has to be given this test to try and do better. If he fails then maybe Khawaja can come back in to open.
Just looking at Khawajas batting stats over the last 3 test series, he has struggled.
M I N/O R H Av 50 100
9 17 2 432 101* 28.8 1 1

Really like the changes and I hope they back Starc in.

Khawaja has been a loyal servant but unfortunately has never gone to that next level that he needed to go to. He's 32. There is talent coming through who i think we'll be better served playing from here on.

Our current team has a great balance of youth and experience. The only position that remains a real question mark for me is our number 6 (the ideal make up of our openers is still to be determined but we have 3 guys, Harris, Bancroft and Renshaw jostling for that, it simply becomes about form there).

Paine will play through the home summer then should definitely be put out to pasture and replaced by Carey.

I think backing Wade in is justified. If he fails again though we cluld look at Marsh or even Bancroft to come in at 6 for the final test.
As for the future of that position; we have Pucovski, Handscomb and Patterson in the wings too. Once again, it will be dependent on form.

Aside from a young spinner in the back ground we actually don't look too bad on paper. Can we translate it to actual success remains to be seen.

Really like the changes and I hope they back Starc in.

Khawaja has been a loyal servant but unfortunately has never gone to that next level that he needed to go to. He's 32. There is talent coming through who i think we'll be better served playing from here on.

Our current team has a great balance of youth and experience. The only position that remains a real question mark for me is our number 6 (the ideal make up of our openers is still to be determined but we have 3 guys, Harris, Bancroft and Renshaw jostling for that, it simply becomes about form there).

Paine will play through the home summer then should definitely be put out to pasture and replaced by Carey.

I think backing Wade in is justified. If he fails again though we cluld look at Marsh or even Bancroft to come in at 6 for the final test.
As for the future of that position; we have Pucovski, Handscomb and Patterson in the wings too. Once again, it will be dependent on form.

Aside from a young spinner in the back ground we actually don't look too bad on paper. Can we translate it to actual success remains to be seen.

32 is nothing though. What's the whole thing about age though. Like players are playing to the late 30's, and some into their 40's. Players are a lot fitter than ages ago.

Khawaja however didn't perform. So Labs, and Harris need to take advantage of this.

32 is nothing though. What's the whole thing about age though. Like players are playing to the late 30's, and some into their 40's. Players are a lot fitter than ages ago.

Khawaja however didn't perform. So Labs, and Harris need to take advantage of this.

Players start to drop away post 30, your reflexes and speed simply isn't the same when you're 33 or 34 compared to 28/29.

Its good khawaja has been dropped, been a problem for us for a long time, constantly failing under pressure, hope he can get replaced permanently, terrible fielder and a mentally weak batsmen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players start to drop away post 30, your reflexes and speed simply isn't the same when you're 33 or 34 compared to 28/29.

Its good khawaja has been dropped, been a problem for us for a long time, constantly failing under pressure, hope he can get replaced permanently, terrible fielder and a mentally weak batsmen.

Hos fielding is borderline under 9's stuff...I'm still getting over his dropped catch against Burns that cost us 60+ runs that a half drunk bloke could have caught!

Couple of big calls. Think they’re probably fair enough.

Was expected Harris to get dropped and Khawaja opening. Khawaja really hasn’t done anything at test level since that Pakistan series. 9 tests averaging 28 with two scores over 50. Average of 22 if you take out that 100no in the second innings against Sri Lanka with a first innings lead of over 300. Still a big call because it would’ve been easier to drop someone else but it’s probably the right one. Hopefully Labuschagne looks as comfortable at 3 as he has at 4.

Expecting to see Siddle come in as the control seems to be the main factor in selection and it’s been working thus far. Starc seems raring to go though, wouldn’t be disappointed to see him come in to see if he can run through their brittle batting lineup.

Couple of big calls. Think they’re probably fair enough.

Was expected Harris to get dropped and Khawaja opening. Khawaja really hasn’t done anything at test level since that Pakistan series. 9 tests averaging 28 with two scores over 50. Average of 22 if you take out that 100no in the second innings against Sri Lanka with a first innings lead of over 300. Still a big call because it would’ve been easier to drop someone else but it’s probably the right one. Hopefully Labuschagne looks as comfortable at 3 as he has at 4.

Expecting to see Siddle come in as the control seems to be the main factor in selection and it’s been working thus far. Starc seems raring to go though, wouldn’t be disappointed to see him come in to see if he can run through their brittle batting lineup.

If it's a fast pitch with rain breaks that could suit Starc more, and allow us to play 3 fast bowlers without them tiring too much

Obviously the priority is for these two tests but I do think this top six could be a really quality batting unit for the home summer coming up. Wade and Harris you'd think would be the two under pressure so hopefully they can make some runs.

Langer continuing to make bold calls; if we win this series, the dismissing of reputations (Starc, now Khawaja) could be a key factor. I wonder if Warner fails again whether consideration would be given to Khawaja or Bancroft returning over Warner.

Last edited:

32 should be prime time for a batter Khawaja is probably a bit unlucky ..has not converted his starts in this series. To be fair tho Warner 60 in one dig and he still survives. Smith had to comeback so someone had to go so the Muslim from Australia via Pakistan was the one. Has never really set the world on fire but has had some really good moments.

Huuuuuge call, to bring Starc in for Pattinson.

The bowling lost the plot in the second dig, but we would still have won if the umpire wasn't horrendous at his job. In the first dig, we bowled them out for a score that set records for how low it was. The bowling is not the problem.

Khawaja has deserved to be dropped for about 12 months now, and has survived on credits in the bank quite long enough.

A tick either side of 600 runs for the match, and the game is ours to win or lose.

As if Khawaja isn't better than Harris, Head and Wade

On form is he?

Head averages close to 50 in test cricket, and as much as I don't rate Wade he's one of only 2 in our side that has scored a ton this series. It's Harris or Khawaja. Meh either way, both are terrible in the field, but you probably can't drop Harris after 1 test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back