Status
Not open for further replies.

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who's gonna win it. One of the most anticipated cricket matches in living memory.
Odds :

England 2.37
Aussies 3.40
Draw 2.75

I say we win, and Smithy gets a century, and I hope Mitch Marsh doesn't come in, and Michell Starc does.
Quick pitch maybe ?
Waddaya reckon?

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I have heard a few rumours from an old journalist colleague today in the UK and a possible line-up for the Fourth Test could be:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Mitch Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
3 changes screams of panic. We were 1 wicket away from England completely overhauling their Test side so for us to essentially doing the same would be stupid and probably our undoing.

Mitch Marsh playing suggests we should've brought another batsman as we're basically playing him because there's no one else in reserves. If he plays I doubt he'll bowl more then 5 overs an innings anyway.

If Starc plays I'm guessing the pitch has to be a road? If it's bowler friendly why would he be playing? Are we completely throwing away our bowling strategy based on a single innings in which the batsman was dropped numerous times and an out LBW wasn't given?

The bowling attack in the OP is our bowling lineup from before this series, I thought we'd moved on from this and had a plan to dry up the runs? Apparently not if those rumours are true.

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Kumar Dharmasena and Marais Erasmus will umpire this test match (and the fifth test). They did the World Cup final together.

No Wilson, Gaffaney or Dar thank goodness!

Last edited:

Sammo360

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Kumar Dharmsema and Marais Erasmus will umpire this test match (and the fifth test). They did the World Cup final together.

No Wilson, Gaffaney or Dar thank goodness!

Interesting, they've relegated Palliyaguruge to TV umpire for the next Test in favour of Dharmasena. A bit unfair but probably a good move to give the more experienced umpires the on-field positions given the circumstances.

Rain forecast for the whole test.

How unusual.

Can't believe they're considering Marsh given how poor our batting already is. Don't see any need for the extra bowler, we've got 3 good seamers, a top spinner and a handy part time leggy so I just don't see why you weaken your batting for the extra bowler.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I would only consider Marsh and Starc on flatter wickets with sunny conditions.

There is some merit for picking Marsh while he is in form, but the problem is we always leave him in too long when he isn't in form.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How unusual.

Can't believe they're considering Marsh given how poor our batting already is. Don't see any need for the extra bowler, we've got 3 good seamers, a top spinner and a handy part time leggy so I just don't see why you weaken your batting for the extra bowler.

Wade's batting hasn't really given us much though, 1 good score and 5 fails. They both have a similar batting average, in the 20s...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I don't think you can play Marsh with Paine providing nothing with the bat. Too big a risk.

I do think Marsh's bowling would be more than handy, though - provided he would actually be used.
I just don't see when he would be used. It's not like we've had extended periods where one of our 3 main quicks has bowled more than he should and Lyon hasn't exactly had to bowl more overs than he should to give the quicks a break. I feel like if Marsh is on we'd just be wasting overs that could be bowled by one of the 4 main bowlers.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just don't see when he would be used. It's not like we've had extended periods where one of our 3 main quicks has bowled more than he should and Lyon hasn't exactly had to bowl more overs than he should to give the quicks a break. I feel like if Marsh is on we'd just be wasting overs that could be bowled by one of the 4 main bowlers.

The English are starting to get on top of lyon and if lyon can't control one end then our 4 bowling strategy completely falls apart.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Marsh in with Paine at 7 is nightmare inducing stuff. The worst #6 to ever play test cricket coupled with a 7 who shouldnt even be there! Smith will bail them out but surely we can all agree going into a test with a tail that starts at 6 isn't the way to go

We don't need an all rounder. It isn't like we've had that much issue taking wickets. Innings aren't going 120+ overs to need to rest guys. Marsh is a terrible decision IMO

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The English are starting to get on top of lyon and if lyon can't control one end then our 4 bowling strategy completely falls apart.

Are they though? Lyon looked the most likely to get Stokes out and the majority of their other batsman are out to the quicks before Lyon really has a chance to bowl at them.

Again, we're looking to change all our plans based on one freak innings. We deserve to lose the Ashes if we go down that road, especially when it's going back proven failures.

People talk about Wade failing but he had to grind out runs for over 18 months to get a look in. Marsh has a 70 in a lucky to be FC standard game and people are saying he's earned a chance.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Marsh in with Paine at 7 is nightmare inducing stuff. The worst #6 to ever play test cricket coupled with a 7 who shouldnt even be there! Smith will bail them out but surely we can all agree going into a test with a tail that starts at 6 isn't the way to go

We don't need an all rounder. It isn't like we've had that much issue taking wickets. Innings aren't going 120+ overs to need to rest guys. Marsh is a terrible decision IMO

That lineup is basically Smith + 150.

So if he doesn't make 150 each innings again we'll be a bit of trouble.

don't mind bringing Starc.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think you can play Marsh with Paine providing nothing with the bat. Too big a risk.

I do think Marsh's bowling would be more than handy, though - provided he would actually be used.

Paine/Langer: 'We're bringing in Marsh and Starc. We think having a 5th seam option will really benefit our strike bowlers and Starc offers something different as a left armer who gets the ball to swing'

Also Paine/Langer: Bowls Marsh 4 overs per innings.

Starc: Bowls short wide trash.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Yeah I wouldn't have had Marsh in the XI but he has scored runs in the tour games surprisingly at 3. It would be a hilarious masterstroke if Marsh bats at 3 and churns out runs.

Anyway the change I would have made is Smith in for Wade.

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
This morning when I woke up the morning chill was there , even though it was sun outside.
Now we are transitioning into the winter months and the batting is going to be hard .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back