2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha you just can’t keep the man out of the side. Obviously I’ll hope he does well again but I predict he’ll struggle like the previous 20 times he’s been brought back.

Head really struggled the past few games so not that surprised he was dropped. Might not be a bad idea to keep him away from Broad and Archer and dropping his confidence. Still think he’s had a better series than probably all our bats outside of Smith and Labuschagne but that’s not saying much. Hopefully he is back in our best XI for our next game and this is a one game only omission. Has been good since he came in and I’d be very disappointed if he wasn’t batting in Brisbane against Pakistan.

Annoyed Jason Roy was dropped. Was always handy for a dropped catch and 0-20 runs. Going to be a big loss.

Wade has looked better than Head.

All of Head's past few innings he looked like getting out every 3rd ball, completely out of form.

I expect a flat track at the Oval so Mitch Marsh has every opportunity to put a big score on the board. Far out, the bloke isn't a good enough batsman to hold down a spot in the top 6 but he's been picked so good luck to him.

All of Head's past few innings he looked like getting out every 3rd ball, completely out of form.

Head has no defence, you aren't succeeding too far without one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if he opens and Warner drops to 6 it would work

Mitch Marsh has always been extremely vulnerable to a moving ball, opening would be absolute madness. Especially considering he hasn’t opened before (to my knowledge at least). Warner to the middle order has merit and if Burns was in the squad I think it would’ve happened.

Can’t stand the bloke but the guy has enough runs in the bank to earn a couple of poor series’. The other two openers are averaging 11 each and are much closer to the axe.

This was the first innings in the last six that Wade hasn’t looked like going out every third ball. Was very good in the last innings and was enough to keep his spot. Head was very good first four innings, has been very vulnerable the last four. Not sure what the change was, if they’ve worked him out or if he’s just played poorly. Think that it was the right call if someone HAD to come out (would prefer if Marsh didn’t come back in in all honesty) but stand by that Head has had a better series than Wade however marginal it has been. We’ve had an A++ in Smith, an A+ in Labuschagne, two marginal passes in Head and Wade and four F’s with the top order.

He is not a very good opener though
These are the only Australian openers in the history of test cricket with a better average than Warner (20+ matches)

Ian Redpath
Matthew Hayden
Simon Katich
Justin Langer
Bob Simpson
Bill Ponsford
Bill Lawry
Bill Woodfull

Sidenote: get Pucovski to change his name to Bill

Warner did use up some of those credits in South Africa though. We shouldn’t pretend that he hasn’t been out of the game for a year and that affects normal cricketers (obviously Smith isn’t normal).
The alternative is Cameron ******* Bancroft.
Warner stays. Crab never plays for Oz again.

Mitch ******* Marsh. Proven over a long period to not be Test standard with either bat or ball.

I’ve had too many late nights and am going to give this one a miss.

If Marsh is in which I hate to the core...surely we go with the same bowlers, they have 3 months before the next test!
I think the problem is fear of pushing someone (Cummins really) to their limits and have him break down and spend longer than 3 months on the sidelines.

Unlikely to happen, but I guess they are still in the process of weighing up that risk v reward.

What a load of crud. Mark Waugh only stayed in because Dean Jones was all over the coaches daughter.

Partly true, but Border also contributed (supporting selectors Benuad, Higgs etc.) to drop Jones's for forthcoming 1992/93 WI test series in Australia, despite Jones averaging nearly 70 in a test series just completed against Sri Lanka.
So after 52 tests and with more runs than nearly all other Australian test batsmen, at the same stage of their careers, he never played test cricket again, absolute tragedy...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back