2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

He made an error. From memory Lyon made an error. Paine made an error on the stupid earlier review.
Move on

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
But that moment will get singled out if we miss the final of the world test championship by a game.

We had our chances to win the second and fifth test as well but that will be the moment they pinpoint

The parallels between he and Finch are quite remarkable! Very desperate move by the English selectors.
Both Finch and Roy aren't test match openers. But there's more to it that both nations trying to convert white ball stars to the test arena with disastrous effect. Finch is a quality captain at ODI level and his test selection (and that of Head) seemed more about bolstering our leadership and captaincy options post sandpapergate.

Not that I'm advocating it, but I daresay our team would be stronger if we brought in Finch (C) and Carey and dropped Harris and Paine. Finch could either open or bat down the order and captain this summer. Having Carey improve the lower order and having Finch as captain would be big improvements and would more than offset Finch's fragility as a test batsman.

A batting line-up like this...

Khawaja
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Finch (C)
Carey
Wade/Head (if selected, at 6) / Marsh (if selected, at 7)

... is a slightly stronger batting line up and capably led. Roy has zero test attributes, Finch has one (leadership) and can actually catch to boot.

Roy offers so, so much less at test level than even Finch could...

Last edited:
Both Finch and Roy aren't test match openers. But at least Finch is a quality captain at ODI level and his test selection (and that of Head) seemed more about bolstering our leadership and captaincy options post sandpapergate.

Not that I'm advocating it, but I daresay our team would be stronger if we brought in Finch (C) and Carey and dropped Harris and Paine. Finch could either open or bat down the order and captain this summer. Having Carey improve the lower order and having Finch as captain would be big improvements and would more than offset Finch's fragility as a test batsman.

Finch offered leadership, and could still make a contribution as a captain who scrapes a 30 average at Test level if called upon.

Roy offers so, so much less than Finch could...

Khawaja
Warner
Finch could under no circumstances open the batting in England, and I doubt he could have batted down the order either.

Finch could under no circumstances open the batting in England, and I doubt he could have batted down the order either.
Agreed. I'm more trying to point out that Finch has at least one attribute that might earn him a test recall (say if he's in ok form in the summer and then Paine gets injured, or the selectors decide they must pick Carey) while Roy has proven he has absolutely nothing at all to offer at all at test level.

We need keepers who can keep, I'm not sure that Carey is there yet and watching him learn on the job could be rather painful. Picking keepers because our batsmen are gash seems stupid. Pick him as a batsman if necessary.

But that moment will get singled out if we miss the final of the world test championship by a game.

We had our chances to win the second and fifth test as well but that will be the moment they pinpoint

Nah, I think we are all onboard with pointing the fingers at the batsmen if we miss out on the test championship. Leaving out Sir Smith of course.

I find it somewhat amazing that just 4 batsmen scored a century in this series - Smith, Burns, Wade and Stokes. Only 8 centuries (Smith 3, Wade 2, Stokes,2 and Burns 1) were scored in the series too.

I remember last summer , Root won all 5 coin tosses v India and we won 4-1 .
There is no way we were vastly superior to them but the scoreline says we thrashed them. That is down to winning the toss and having best use of the pitch.

In the Ashes Paine has won 4 out of 5 tosses..
so I believe we did well to draw 2-2 .

You had great bowling conditions first test and wasted them(had us 8-120) and you had the biggest advantage of the whole series bowling first under very dark skies at headingley, you were going to bat first at the oval no matter what and as it turns out both sides were wrong to want to bowl first at lords so that was a lucky toss to lose.

Overall you got the better bowling conditions through the series and still couldn't get the ashes back at home.

I find it somewhat amazing that just 4 batsmen scored a century in this series - Smith, Burns, Wade and Stokes. Only 8 centuries (Smith 3, Wade 2, Stokes,2 and Burns 1) were scored in the series too.
Interestingly, 8 is more than was scored in 2015 when just 5 centuries were posted. That mark was the lowest since the 1975 Ashes series.

Steve Smith now accounts for 1/3rd (9 out of 27) of Ashes centuries since and including Sydney 2013/14, with no one else posting more than 2 Ashes tons. In that time he has also has double the amount of Ashes runs of anyone bar Joe Root (Smith 2091, Root 1163, Warner 986).

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1=span;template=results;trophy=1;type=batting

Interestingly, 8 is more than was scored in 2015 when just 5 centuries were posted. That mark was the lowest since the 1975 Ashes series.

Steve Smith now accounts for 1/3rd (9 out of 27) of Ashes centuries since and including Sydney 2013/14, with no one else posting more than 2 Ashes tons. In that time he has also has double the amount of Ashes runs of anyone bar Joe Root (Smith 2091, Root 1163, Warner 986).

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1=span;template=results;trophy=1;type=batting

We don't need any more evidence of Steve Smith's ocean-going size awesomeness.

I remember last summer , Root won all 5 coin tosses v India and we won 4-1 .
There is no way we were vastly superior to them but the scoreline says we thrashed them. That is down to winning the toss and having best use of the pitch.

In the Ashes Paine has won 4 out of 5 tosses..
so I believe we did well to draw 2-2 .
Root wanted to do the opposite of Paine anyway at Lords and The Oval. So can't really hide behind the tosses as the reason for 2-2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back