2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Our lineup looks even worse now.

They’re so determined to not rest Cummins that they bring in Marsh the NO-ROUNDER for support.

And Warner surviving is a joke. It’s not like he’s been unlucky with his dismissals, he’s been psychologically broken by Broad. Khawaja’s looked more comfortable despite his also poor record.

Australia’s love affair with the idea of an all rounder continues...

Mitch Marsh has been a complete failure at Test level, of that there is no doubt. He has had more chances than any other player I can recall.

Ive never really understood his position in the team because he always seemed to get under-utilised as a bowler even when they kept him in the team despite making no runs.

He bowls an average of 8.5 overs per innings over his career, contrast that with Ben Stokes who bowls 13.7. Even the permanently at risk of injury Shane Watson bowled 9.8 overs per innings average over his career. And the less said about his batting, the better.

If you compare our team at Edgebaston which won comfortably and put us 1-0 up, we’ve actively tried to go and make the side worse.

Replaced the opener who couldn’t score runs but at least soaked up time with another left handed bunny who does neither. Replaced the guy who scored runs with Smith and averages 40+ in tests with a guy who averages 25 and can’t bat or bowl. And replaced Pattinson with Starc who is less match fit and goes for more runs

Labu and Hazlewood are pluses but geez we aren’t making it easy for ourselves

But then again, I also blame this on the media as well. Some reporters were seething that Starc didn't play the first test. "But he was so good in the world cup you can't just drop him", they said. Heck a few reporters wanted Mitch Marsh to apparently help our bowling and batting, even though he is a no rounder.

I dont mind the Marsh selection provided he does his fair share of the work with the ball (25 overs)
It gives us an extra righthander in the top order and eases the workload on the quicks.
personally I think our bowling depth is strong enough to rest Cummins and Hazlewood but this isn't a bad option alternative. that said, Head should come straight back in next match unless Marsh makes a double ton and takes 10 wickets.

does Marsh deserve it? no
is he good enough? probably not.
is he extremely lucky that a complicated set of circumstances have fallen exactly in his favour? * yes.

the Poms are much better with Curran and Woakes even if it still looks like a T20 batting line up. Foakes unlucky not to get a crack ahead of Bairstow or Butler.

Thank * that Head got dropped. Terrible technique. Should’ve been dropped when he went out twice being caught at third man. I honestly don’t even care that it was Mitch who replaced him even though Marsh is crap.

Disappointed that Pattinson didn’t even get named in the 12. Guess we have to watch Starc spray them around again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worst batting line up in a long time, regardless whether its marsh or wade @ 5.

I just hope this pays off.

5 test tons between everyone other than smith and warner and only 2 guys who average 40+.

I really hope cummins or hazlewood are not 'rested'.

its a case of bowling 30-40 overs this week and they can have 9 weeks REST.

You just know Warner will be pushed all the way to the Australian summer. Then he scores a blistering century at home on the Hume Highway against Pakistan. Bang, all will be forgiven. Only the diehard Aussie cricket fans won't be fooled. That's what will happen.
All will be forgiven - that's what CA is gambling on.

I dont get the logic of weakening the batting in a game you desperately want to avoid losing. It would make more sense to rest one of the bowlers and bring in Marsh to bat at 8. Or leave him out altogether and rotate the bowlers considering you have 6 to choose from

Annoyed Jason Roy was dropped. Was always handy for a dropped catch and 0-20 runs. Going to be a big loss.

I had the same feeling when they dropped Moeen Ali, but it worked out okay. :) With Roy, I don't think I've ever seen someone who is purported to be a Test batsman leave so much room between bat and pad.

Thank fu** that Head got dropped. Terrible technique. Should’ve been dropped when he went out twice being caught at third man. I honestly don’t even care that it was Mitch who replaced him even though Marsh is crap.

Disappointed that Pattinson didn’t even get named in the 12. Guess we have to watch Starc spray them around again.

True that! I reckon Pattinson is very stiff, and Head has a technique that Broad would salivate over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back