May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
"Batting or bowling 1st is irrelevant"
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Australia Test Captain... :$
+
"I'm always 50/50, I can't read a pitch" says Paine... oh gee...
Cringeworthy. Can't read a DRS review either, not even from right next to the action.
We need a decisive Captain, not that wishy-washy drivel.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was accepting of the series draw as our batting has had issues for about a decade now, but after waking up and reading the collective pomp and adulation from Pom supporters I think we've really let a prime opportunity to put the toffs to the sword.

Choosing to bowl with two weapons sitting in the parking lot... Failing to make the tough call on Warner (or atleast dropping him down the order), losing Head when there was others in the firing line ahead of him.

Just some senseless captaincy and Ross Lyon style coaching from Langer.

Happy to take the Urn but a content Pom makes me want to regurgitate my yorkshire pudding all over those orange bow-ties.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Drawn series against a really poor England side. An England side which was rolled by Ireland for 85 in their first innings in July.
So many poor performances with that bat.
Great we retained the Ashes, but I hope Langer and the selectors come under pressure.
Why would Langer be under pressure?

We beat India and Pakistan away in ODI's.
Made the WC semi-finals and have just drawn
a series in England with a side that has possibly the worst
batting line up since the Packer days.

And if we had a half decent captain, we probably would've won it.

The selectors on the other hand (inc Langer) made a bad blue by playing Siddle.

I don’t at all, they have 1 bowler who will be able to do well here in Archer unless they find others.

Mind you by then from our side Paine will be gone, Warner every chance to not be around too.

Our bowling line up should be largely in tact.

Fact is we have been way more competitive over there than they have been here since they beat us in 2010-11
I'm led to believe that Pommy cricket fans don't like the show Hawaii Five O, because it brings back dreadful memories of recent Ashes tours to Australia. I won't be so bold as to predict another whitewash in 2022, but I firmly believe that we'll be very hard to beat.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Someone once described the Apollo 13 mission as a successful failure. I have the same feeling about this Ashes campaign. Yes, we tied the series and therefore retained that Ashes …. a strange term in view of the fact the Ashes stay in England. However, except for the promise shown by Labuschagne, we haven't improved, and in some areas we've gone backwards. We already knew Smith and Cummins were class acts, we already knew Hazlewood is a Test class bowler. However, this Ashes series provided more questions than answers, perhaps 2-2 is a blessing because a 3-1 result would have us thinking Australian cricket is motoring along nicely …. and it isn't. We have massive problems which nobody can be stuffed addressing.

Joe Denly
Rory Burns
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
Matthew Wade (+)
Patrick Cummins
Jofra Archer
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood
Stuart Broad

Pretty straight forward Ashes combined XI. Picks itself. The 5 bowlers all have significantly more wickets than the rest so pick themselves.
Denly and Burns are in by default given the performances of Roy, Warner, Harris and Bancroft.
3-5 pick themselves. The only batsmen who consistently did well.
WK comes down to Bairstow or Wade given Paine is useless. Wade got two tons.

Randall Stevens

Senior List
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This England side are pretty awful away from home, our batting is obviously stronger here as well our openers aren't going to average ten on our dead tracks.

Let's remember we haven't won in england for 18 years England have just one series win over here in 32 years you need to be a fair bit better than the other side to win the ashes back away from home.

Spot on. There have only been five instances of the Ashes being regained away from home in the last 100 years. England won in Australia in 1932/33 (Bodyline series) and 1970/71. Australia regained in England in 1930, 1934 and 1989.
Given that there is two Ashes series in a 4 year cycle (apart from the WW2 years), this shows that historically regaining the urn away from home is a real rarity.

Jan 8, 2009
slightly off centre
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Joe Denly
Rory Burns
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
Matthew Wade (+)
Patrick Cummins
Jofra Archer
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood
Stuart Broad

Pretty straight forward Ashes combined XI. Picks itself. The 5 bowlers all have significantly more wickets than the rest so pick themselves.
Denly and Burns are in by default given the performances of Roy, Warner, Harris and Bancroft.
But is lousy keeper.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Be interesting to see if Archer and Wade ever walked passed each other.. awkward and intense
Im pretty sure Wade is standing next to Archer in the back of the photo. Unless there is another 5 foot 4 cricketer in the baggy green Im unaware of.

Joe Denly
Rory Burns
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
Matthew Wade (+)
Patrick Cummins
Jofra Archer
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood
Stuart Broad

Tough to have a combined side

Mine would probably be

Joe Denly
Rory Burns
Marnus Labuschagne
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
Tim Paine (+) (Paine wasn't as awful as Bairstow)
Patrick Cummins
Jofra Archer
Jack Leech
Josh Hazlewood
Stuart Broad

12th man: Matthew Wade

Leech over Lyon is controversial, but take Lyon's first test out and he's got 10 wickets in 4 tests.

Back