Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
Which Eagles do we think will make the final AA team in 2019.

On current form I can see up to 8 Eagles making the squad of 40:

Gov, Hurn, Sheppard
Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed
Darling

In terms of the final 22, I’d say the following 5 deserve to definitely make it:
Sheppard, Hurn, Gov
Yeo, Shuey

And I’d say Gaff, Sheed and Darling probably miss out.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Gov probably makes it again. If anything, he's like the Rance/Scarlett/Silvagni auto-selection in the backline with AA selectors. Harris Andrews and Dylan Grimes probably his only competition.

Hurn more of a chance that Sheppard. Selectors may even be sheepish about stiffing him for captaincy last year. Shep will probably be overlooked as he is every year. Vying with guys like Crisp, Sicily, Vlastuin, the fast dudes from Essendon, Dane Rampe, Luke Ryan, as well as a plethora of other overrated rebound defenders.

Yeo a good chance. Shuey's a tough one. Deserves a gig, but you've got the likes of Fyfe, Neale, Bont, Cripps probably locking up spots, while there'll be a heap of other mids vying for the limited spots.

Would love to see Darling selected, but his start to the year probably means no. Likely a Cameron/Brown/Hawkins combo for the key forward posts.

Gaff I'd probably say has a better shot than Shuey. Could land a wing spot.

Sheed... probably squad at best. Had a good year, but won't be rated.

wirrathunda

Rookie
Aug 18, 2009
South Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmm...it’s a tough one isn’t it. I think Hurn is a lock Shep a strong possibility.

Darling had a great year but I reckon they’ll select number 1 and 2 in the Coleman for their key forwards.

It’s a tough one because we’ve had such a good and even year with multiple players stepping up at different times.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheppard is the most deserving. He's had a better season than Hurn.

McGovern probably gets there too.

Hard for Hurn if those guys are in.

Shuey, Darling and Yeo all borderline, depending on what kind of knots the selectors tie themselves in because they think it's clever.

Darling won't be picked at FF or CHF but they might squeeze him into a FP, almost in recognition of two good seasons. Yeo and Shuey probably vying for a spot on the bench. They might feel Shuey is overduey and squeeze him in ahead of Yeo.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Should have a few in the squad - will be interesting to see how many make it.

Probably comes down to how well we finish off the season from here I reckon. Finish the season in hot form and the selectors will be swayed our way. They love a hot last 2 months (ie Darling) over a long, consistent campaign (Hurn, Sheppard).

Was only a few weeks back they were no doubt considering pulling another Geelong 2007 debacle.

I think we’ll see 2-3 make the cut - out of Hurn, Sheppard, McGovern, Darling, Yeo and Shuey.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
I'm not completely opposed to one or two of our star players being snubbed on the eve of the finals and perhaps playing with a little extra point to prove for the following month

Last edited:

Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
Sheppard is the most deserving. He's had a better season than Hurn.

McGovern probably gets there too.

Hard for Hurn if those guys are in.

Shuey, Darling and Yeo all borderline, depending on what kind of knots the selectors tie themselves in because they think it's clever.

Darling won't be picked at FF or CHF but they might squeeze him into a FP, almost in recognition of two good seasons. Yeo and Shuey probably vying for a spot on the bench. They might feel Shuey is overduey and squeeze him in ahead of Yeo.
Yeah I’m with you on sheppard, ranked #1 in the comp for marks and hasn’t played a bad game all year.

For me hurn and sheppard should be auto selections. Gov’s second half of the year, his reputation and also a lack of many other gun key backs this year might sneak him over the line.

I would love to see both yeo and shuey make it, they are both in the top 10 for the stats that actually matter as an impactful mid (yeo ranked #1 in tackles, both top 10 in inside 50s and goals). Unfortunately I tend to agree that probably only 1 will get squeezed in given the vic centric nature of selection. I know I’d be taking both if i was selecting a GF team tomorrow.

Unfortunately unless JD has a big last 3 games I reckon he will just miss out. You would think they pick cameron and brown, and id imagine the wank fest for tom lynch in victoria will probably get him over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
For all the talk of McGovern having a downish year, there's no defender anywhere near him for contested marks. And he's going at 81% disposal efficiency. Career high for 1%ers. Rebounding more, giving away fewer frees and making fewer clangers than 2017-18. It's still pretty damn solid. And who else is in the mix?

Gov CHB
Hurn HB (C)
Shep IC
Yeo IC
Darling FP

Is the best we can hope for I reckon. Hurn has the captaincy carrot after getting ripped off last year. Yeo is the flavour of the month right now but there are a ton of good mids, and Darling probably needs to beat Hawkins and Lynch in goals to get in.

Turboman1994

Club Legend
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 24, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurn and gov are locks for mine
Shep, Yeo and shue good chances
Gaff and Darling unlikely chances

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
With only 2 goals in each of the last 2 games, Darling needs a bag or 2 in the last 3 games to have a shot at AA. Will need to be at least top 3 I'd reckon, but still in striking distance.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaff is a chance as there's less competition on wings.

Shuey will make the squad.

Dom the squad.

Yeo got snubbed last year if you consider the fact they chose Edwards o_O So he might be due this year, plus he's currently getting talked about at the back end of the year.

Shep should be a lock, there's none better.

Hurn probably a lock now he's got the reputation.

Gov I'm not too sure, no reason he can't be, he's right in the mix, 50/50 for the final team?

Darling will probably make the squad only, they won't want to pick too many Eagles.

There will be some random selection based on champion data stats saying 'player X' has broken the record for second efforts away from home off a 6 day break and the moron selectors will pick him to try look hell smart. AKA the Shane Edwards selection method.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
With only 2 goals in each of the last 2 games, Darling needs a bag or 2 in the last 3 games to have a shot at AA. Will need to be at least top 3 I'd reckon, but still in striking distance.
This shits me because it's bound to happen. Anyone who is a fulltime AA selector (even a commentator) should be forced to watch every game for the year. It's their job.

Darling has played two massive games the past few weeks. His set shots have stopped him bagging 4 each week. His work around the ground right now is arguably the best of all the forwards. If he doesn't mark a ball he just keeps running and gathers it himself, can't be knocked off his feet, bulldozes people out of the way. Not to mention his defensive efforts that have helped JK kick goals as well. He's had his fair share of goal assists from pressure acts that won't register as a goal assist the way his handball to Ryan did on the weekend.

Also, look at the goals he is kicking. Last week he kicked one of the best of the round only to be overshadowed by Rioli half an hour later, he broke three tackles from a stand still. Then he had a snap off one step. He's kicked at least 3 or 4 goals straight out of the ruck in the past 2 months. He basically won us the Hawks game with accurate set shot kicking. His goals have all come when the game has been contested.

Is in extreme form and yet I bet the AA selectors just see J. Darling: 2 goals and consider it a so-so game.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheppard will get his first AA jacket. Even the Vic centric media are starting to talk about him and regularly. He's making team of the week and leading the comp in marks or intercept marks. Gets the best opposition small every week.

Yeo should also get his first, will win his 3rd B&F in a row, this week talked about as the best player in the comp. How Edwards from Richmond was AA last season ahead of Yeo is just baffling.

Gov likely again and posibly Hurn.

Four in the team is absolute max. We aren't a big Victorian club.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
This s**ts me because it's bound to happen. Anyone who is a fulltime AA selector (even a commentator) should be forced to watch every game for the year. It's their job.

Darling has played two massive games the past few weeks. His set shots have stopped him bagging 4 each week. His work around the ground right now is arguably the best of all the forwards. If he doesn't mark a ball he just keeps running and gathers it himself, can't be knocked off his feet, bulldozes people out of the way. Not to mention his defensive efforts that have helped JK kick goals as well. He's had his fair share of goal assists from pressure acts that won't register as a goal assist the way his handball to Ryan did on the weekend.

Also, look at the goals he is kicking. Last week he kicked one of the best of the round only to be overshadowed by Rioli half an hour later, he broke three tackles from a stand still. Then he had a snap off one step. He's kicked at least 3 or 4 goals straight out of the ruck in the past 2 months. He basically won us the Hawks game with accurate set shot kicking. His goals have all come when the game has been contested.

Is in extreme form and yet I bet the AA selectors just see J. Darling: 2 goals and consider it a so-so game.

Remember Jack had a slow start and took a while to hit form this season.

So not a full AA quality season, Im just happy he's hit form at the right time of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back