Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
It was pretty typical in some ways. The new formation looked really good and we dominated the first half without creating any really good chances. An error like that has probably been coming as we seem to constantly pass it back to Ryan and put him under pressure. I thought Milligan was awful - he was playing as our playmaker, taking dead-ball situations, must have given the ball away about 20 times at least.

The result is what we deserved from the tournament as we've been terrible.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Make no mistake this is a failure. There are only 2 teams that we should have lost to, Japan and Korea. #SackArnie

Poor knowledge of football. Iran are a better side and the UAE at home isn't easy for anyone. Saudis in Asia would be favourites against us aswell. We were 5th favourites for this tournament for a reason

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It was pretty typical in some ways. The new formation looked really good and we dominated the first half without creating any really good chances. An error like that has probably been coming as we seem to constantly pass it back to Ryan and put him under pressure. I thought Milligan was awful - he was playing as our playmaker, taking dead-ball situations, must have given the ball away about 20 times at least.

The result is what we deserved from the tournament as we've been terrible.

I think this was our biggest problem, apart from a striker the most important player in modern football is that deep playmaker. Mooy plays the role for us and is class at this level, to drop down to Milligan who was our CB 6 months ago is a huge issue. We just couldn't progress the ball quick enough to give the front 3 opportunities to attack against equal numbers

Poor knowledge of football. Iran are a better side and the UAE at home isn't easy for anyone. Saudis in Asia would be favourites against us aswell. We were 5th favourites for this tournament for a reason
Nah. We're comfortably better than all the teams mentioned, even with Mooy, Arzani and Boyle on the sidelines along with Leckie for most of the tournament. We were 5th favourites because we rushed in an already failed manager who had far superior talent when he failed in the first place! We should be making the semi finals at the minimum.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Nah. We're comfortably better than all the teams mentioned, even with Mooy, Arzani and Boyle on the sidelines along with Leckie for most of the tournament. We were 5th favourites because we rushed in an already failed manager who had far superior talent when he failed in the first place! We should be making the semi finals at the minimum.

We aren't comfortably better...
We have strikers who can't score, a 34 year old CB playing as our playmaker. A CB who hasn't players club football for 2 years. Its a terrible team.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I just don't think people understand this. Our talent is bloody horrible. I read an article which states that we only have 3 players playing regularly in the top 20 leagues in the world. Leckie, Ryan, Mooy

List the top 20 leagues?

We aren't comfortably better...
We have strikers who can't score, a 34 year old CB playing as our playmaker. A CB who hasn't players club football for 2 years. Its a terrible team.
I disagree, although your comments about Milligan are accurate. He's way past it, and they made him captain ffs. The talent we have with Leckie, Luongo, Sainsbury (who should be captain), Mabil and Maclaren amongst others is as good as anybody else.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I disagree, although your comments about Milligan are accurate. He's way past it, and they made him captain ffs. The talent we have with Leckie, Luongo, Sainsbury (who should be captain), Mabil and Maclaren amongst others is as good as anybody else.

As good. But we are playing away in Asia trying out a new system under a new style. We might be a little better than some of these sides but not comfortably as you say.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The truth is we have an awful squad and an awful coach. It's a recipe for longer term pain. Our junior development systems, or lack of them, are feeding into our poor talent. The coach was a poor decision by mediocre administration.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Can you link it? I wasn't having a go just curious what they are. I would have thought leagues like Scotland would make it in.

Off the top of my head it was these countries, some at the bottom aren't in the top half.
Obviously Mabil would make it 4 players

England
Spain
Italy
Germany
France
Netherlands
Brazil
Argentina
Russia
Portugal
Belgium
Ukraine
Austria
Turkey
Greece
Czech
Swiss
Swedish
Serbian
Danish league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the top of my head it was these countries, some at the bottom aren't in the top half.
Obviously Mabil would make it 4 players

England
Spain
Italy
Germany
France
Netherlands
Brazil
Argentina
Russia
Portugal
Belgium
Ukraine
Austria
Turkey
Greece
Czech
Swiss
Swedish
Serbian
Danish league.
Don't Sainsbury and Behich play regularly for PSV in the Eredivisie? Also would have the Championship close to a few at the bottom there (for Luongo)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Can you link it? I wasn't having a go just curious what they are. I would have thought leagues like Scotland would make it in.

To be fair, I'm sure you could argue that the Scottish and English championship are equal to or better than some of the league's at the bottom there but the point is that they we were/are a long way away from having a squad that could beat up on teams

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
So would I, but if you go by UEFA's country coefficient (which determines UCL and UEL places) Scotland is the 20th best association in Europe, let alone the world

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don't Sainsbury and Behich play regularly for PSV in the Eredivisie? Also would have the Championship close to a few at the bottom there (for Luongo)

Nup neither are starters, don't see very many minutes either. 7 appearances between them for the season.
In fact watched a thing that had Sainsbury in the worst champions league XI of the season so far.

Like I said happy to concede that you could put the championship or Scottish league in there above the Serbian league but change top 20 to 15 and it still tells a story

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sainsbury's played 3 games in the Eredivisie all season, starting 2, (plus 2 UCL games, starting 1, and 3 domestic cup games). He's their 4th or 5th CB

Behich has played 4 Eredivisie games, all off the bench (plus 2 domestic cup games)

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Previous posts got me thinking about the coefficient league rankings or whatever. Checked AFC's. Our league is ranked f***** NINTH! Behind Thailand.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Previous posts got me thinking about the coefficient league rankings or whatever. Checked AFC's. Our league is ranked f***** NINTH! Behind Thailand.
Probably because Australian teams fail so regularly in the Asian Champions League, and more often than "lesser" leagues.

Thailand is ranked higher because their only team in 2018 made it through the group stage (Victory and Sydney FC did not) and in 2017 as well (Brisbane and WSW finished bottom of their groups).

Those Nations Coefficients are somewhat flaw metrics but it's hard to argue that Thailand doesn't deserve to be higher than Australia given how they are calculated

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Andrew Nabbouts professional career stats if you take out his Malaysian league stint ( 14 games 9 goals)

104 games for 23 goals

In what ******* world is that good enough to play for Australia
He hit his best form right in time for our decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back