Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Not even upset about this result our list is dog s**t and the FFA copped what it deserved for its failures of not being able to rejuvinate this list or put the structure in place for it to occur seamlessly.

Arnold is a s**t coach but its not all his fault he's only been there six months ffs! yeah our tactics where s**t too but what can you do when our list is so dire, No tactics are gonna work unless you go the park the bus tactics and hope for the best.

Its a long road ahead if the World Cup stays at 32 teams I don't even think we'll qualify for Qatar.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Awer Mabils sister passed away yesterday, tough time for the family

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not even upset about this result our list is dog s**t and the FFA copped what it deserved for its failures of not being able to rejuvinate this list or put the structure in place for it to occur seamlessly.

Arnold is a s**t coach but its not all his fault he's only been there six months ffs! yeah our tactics where s**t too but what can you do when our list is so dire, No tactics are gonna work unless you go the park the bus tactics and hope for the best.

Its a long road ahead if the World Cup stays at 32 teams I don't even think we'll qualify for Qatar.

Yup agreed. Ange was a good coach and Cahill basically dragged us to the WC.
I think it's very likely we might miss a WC and it will be the best thing for us. Been living off the golden generation for too long now without addressing the absoloute death of talent we have

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I think it's very likely we might miss a WC and it will be the best thing for us. Been living off the golden generation for too long now without addressing the absoloute death of talent we have

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I doubt we will miss, the ME nations are woeful away from home, and we get that extra spot.

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
For all the people complaining that we don't have enough players in the top leagues in the world, I agree.

BUT have a look at our opposition in AFC, we'd be head and shoulders above them all in terms of where our players play.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
What an absolutely dismal tournament.

Not just the way we exited, which will go down in history as one of the worst ever socceroos *ups, but the inability to score against minnows, the lack of class up front and the terrifying vulnerability on the counter shone through all tournament. We probably got one round further than we deserved, found no improvement, developed little and played the same rubbish lead footed football that has characterised the post Cahill era.

There are two different issues, one is whether we have enough talent to be a genuine final 16 team at the world cup, which we don't, but that's not why this is so disappointing. Based on the players, facilities, population, junior league and resources we have, we should plainly punish most teams in Asia without raising a sweat. When the team is struggling to do that, something is very wrong.

When Arnold was appointed every sane person cringed in embarassment. And every sane person was right. I have serious doubts whether we will even qualify for Qatar.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
What a joke!
Belgium's manager Roberto Martinez is on €1 million a year ($1.6 million AUD).
If FAA is willing to fork out 1.4 million why are we getting someone like Arnold?
Seems like we got Arnold simply because he's Australian.

The good coaches aren't dumb. Their reputation rests on their results. They wouldn't see this current Australian team as an enticing one to coach. It's hard to get a good coach here especially when it's not a short term stint coinciding with a guaranteed world cup berth. That doesn't explain why we'd fork out that dough for Arnold though. That's madness.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Not saying I think Arnold is great, but I think our squad extremely lacks talent also.

It does but really only Korea, Japan & Iran should be really causing us issues.

UAE has no soul, no football culture. Junior participation is shite. Too hot to play half of the year. We should be accounting for them.

Arnold just has no idea. He didn't in 2007 and doesn't now.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
It does but really only Korea, Japan & Iran should be really causing us issues.

UAE has no soul, no football culture. Junior participation is shite. Too hot to play half of the year. We should be accounting for them.

Arnold just has no idea. He didn't in 2007 and doesn't now.
Qatar is rubbish too and yet here they are. The last time the Cup was played in the UAE, the UAE won it.

It is exceedingly hard for the east Asian teams to play away, particularly when 2 of the big teams in us and Japan are rebuilding.

Arnold will survive, theres nothing surer. He was never the right man for the job but he wont be sacked now.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sup Arnie. did you lose my number?

Dx1dThfVYAUQ-aY.jpg

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Sup Arnie. did you lose my number?

Dx1dThfVYAUQ-aY.jpg
Typical Victory fan. Troisi isn't worthy of Socceroo selection. He's not better then Rogic, nor Irvine nor Luongo. Face the facts.
We have an abundance of midfielders/wingers. We desperately need strikers/forwards.

What an absolutely dismal tournament.

Not just the way we exited, which will go down in history as one of the worst ever socceroos ****ups, but the inability to score against minnows, the lack of class up front and the terrifying vulnerability on the counter shone through all tournament. We probably got one round further than we deserved, found no improvement, developed little and played the same rubbish lead footed football that has characterised the post Cahill era.

There are two different issues, one is whether we have enough talent to be a genuine final 16 team at the world cup, which we don't, but that's not why this is so disappointing. Based on the players, facilities, population, junior league and resources we have, we should plainly punish most teams in Asia without raising a sweat. When the team is struggling to do that, something is very wrong.

When Arnold was appointed every sane person cringed in embarrassment. And every sane person was right. I have serious doubts whether we will even qualify for Qatar.
Agree somewhat. This tournament was an uphill battle with Arnold coming in, players injured and lack of talent throughout Australia. Got as far as probably deserved. It wasn't a stuff-up, it just was coming really. UAE in UAE is always extremely hard, even when we had significant talent. The lack of respect, awareness of Middle Eastern countries that play park-the-bus, counter-attacking style is pathetic. We can play our possession laden football against UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain BUT that is the game they want us to play. They know they can counterattack against it, score one goal and defend for the rest of the game. Add in the diving tactics etc.

Australia has been apart of the AFC Asia confederation for 12 years now. It's time to actually respect and recognize how to play against these 'minnows' as you say. Arnold didn't pay any respect whatsoever tbh. That cost him.

There's a larger issue that demands attention here. That is the FFA and its department. The way it is run, formed etc is a shambles. Gallopp, as CEO, has to go. He's not Football-mad, and that is telling. The Lowy Nepotism has caused the management of football in this country to fall behind. There's personal infighting and corruption taking place. This has led to lack of grassroots spending, talent identification, overspending on World Cup- leading to future failures as the players coming through are not good enough. It's an urgent issue that should be eradicated by a major shakeup in the department. But FFA isn't willing to wake up and do that, unfortunately. Still holding on the post-2006 era and trying to think it's going to be okay. That's behind us now. Haven't won a World Cup game since 2010.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Typical Victory fan. Troisi isn't worthy of Socceroo selection. He's not better then Rogic, nor Irvine nor Luongo. Face the facts.
We have an abundance of midfielders/wingers. We desperately need strikers/forwards.

Agree somewhat. This tournament was an uphill battle with Arnold coming in, players injured and lack of talent throughout Australia. Got as far as probably deserved. It wasn't a stuff-up, it just was coming really. UAE in UAE is always extremely hard, even when we had significant talent. The lack of respect, awareness of Middle Eastern countries that play park-the-bus, counter-attacking style is pathetic. We can play our possession laden football against UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Bahrain BUT that is the game they want us to play. They know they can counterattack against it, score one goal and defend for the rest of the game. Add in the diving tactics etc.

Australia has been apart of the AFC Asia confederation for 12 years now. It's time to actually respect and recognize how to play against these 'minnows' as you say. Arnold didn't pay any respect whatsoever tbh. That cost him.

There's a larger issue that demands attention here. That is the FFA and its department. The way it is run, formed etc is a shambles. Gallopp, as CEO, has to go. He's not Football-mad, and that is telling. The Lowy Nepotism has caused the management of football in this country to fall behind. There's personal infighting and corruption taking place. This has led to lack of grassroots spending, talent identification, overspending on World Cup- leading to future failures as the players coming through are not good enough. It's an urgent issue that should be eradicated by a major shakeup in the department. But FFA isn't willing to wake up and do that, unfortunately. Still holding on the post-2006 era and trying to think it's going to be okay. That's behind us now. Haven't won a World Cup game since 2010.

Sure Troisi may not be good enough so are a lot a players in that squad (think he was worthy at least a call up) but that's not the point. Troisi in the end gets the last laugh by proving Arnie wrong on the very day his turd of a team was knocked out!!
and not just for last night Troisi has actually been performing exceptinally well the past month along with goals and assists.

Liked and agree with your assessment on your other points otherwise.

Last edited:

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sure Troisi may not be good enough so are a lot a players in that squad (think he was worthy at least a call up) but that's not the point. Troisi in the end gets the last laugh by proving Arnie wrong on the very day his turd of a team was knocked out!!
and not just for last night Troisi has actually been performing exceptinally well the past month along with goals and assists.

Liked and agree with your assessment on your other points otherwise.

If it's not about the phone call then what is the point? It's funny that the Socceroos were poor and that Troisi and co get to have the last laugh over the national team?
Yeah ok, so one deflected goal proves Arnie wrong. You've just said he may not be good enough. It's clear there were plenty of other options in his position. Why is this even still going on

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
If it's not about the phone call then what is the point? It's funny that the Socceroos were poor and that Troisi and co get to have the last laugh over the national team?
Yeah ok, so one deflected goal proves Arnie wrong. You've just said he may not be good enough. It's clear there were plenty of other options in his position. Why is this even still going on

Its not just last night like I said Troisi has been performing exceptionally well all month. I didn't say he wasn't good enough you said that I just made the comparison that others in that squad probably shouldn't have been selected either but did ahead of him.

Troisi can laugh all he wants he's vindicated Arnies poor squad selection with the socceroos being dogshit horrible. irrelevant whether Troisi would have made a difference at this point.

We played 3 and a half hours of playoff football at the Asian Cup without scoring.

But sure, let's let A-League acquaintances override the fact that Troisi hasn't stopped scoring throughout January, not to mention that he scored the winner 4 years ago when we were actually good.

Of course he should've been in the Asian Cup squad, I would've thought there's no question about that, especially after the last 36 hours or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back