2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How? My reserved seat at the g is also a reserved seat for a woodsman, a hawk, a demon, a don, and even a scummy bluebagger

When Richmond play one of them in a final, who gets the seat? Or do we share?

More importantly, they are not home games. The AFL owns the final, and they grant priority access to members of the competing clubs.
A good point.

We don't share our ground so didn't think of that.

How? My reserved seat at the g is also a reserved seat for a woodsman, a hawk, a demon, a don, and even a scummy bluebagger

When Richmond play one of them in a final, who gets the seat? Or do we share?

More importantly, they are not home games. The AFL owns the final, and they grant priority access to members of the competing clubs.

I actually think there is some Merit in Members getting to keep their seats for finals.
Melbourne Storm do it very well. Buy it in the membership period or loose it.
The seat is decided on easily by who finished in the “home” game position.
For example last years QUAL final between Richmond and Hawthorn would of given Richmond priority as they finished first.

Lot of Merit if you ask me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think there is some Merit in Members getting to keep their seats for finals.
For example last years QUAL final between Richmond and Hawthorn would of given Richmond priority as they finished first.

If you do that, you will push people even harder to AFL and mcc membership, where you get a ticket regardless of host

Also you have the mechanics of it. How many days does a member have to accept to buy their seat? If they don't, who gets it? General admin, home club, away club? For members bays, how does this work because you have bay access and not a designated seat.

Finally the AFL will charge clubs to offer this (it's the AFL after all), even if they don't make the final you will pay for the guarantee.

Seeing away members at finals adds to the atmosphere and tension in the games. Why kill that?

Really? Then how do you account for the 35,608 attendance at the Gabba just last weekend? In contrast, KP attendances have never exceeded 32,000 since the redevelopment.

He's referring to the available seats for club members and the like (Gabba has its eqiv I think of MCC/SACA)

Every club has idiots. There is a Brissy fan on twitter complaining he doesn't keep his reserved seat for the final
Full of them on the Lions board. I don't mind 50/50 for finals but if all finals are going to be 50/50 Geelong 100% should have the rights to host all their finals at KP.
Really? Then how do you account for the 35,608 attendance at the Gabba just last weekend? In contrast, KP attendances have never exceeded 32,000 since the redevelopment.
Was talking capacity minus Gabba (BCG) members and QCC. Current capacity if you include them is just under 37k

Full of them on the Lions board. I don't mind 50/50 for finals but if all finals are going to be 50/50 Geelong 100% should have the rights to host all their finals at KP.

Was talking capacity minus Gabba (BCG) members and QCC. Current capacity if you include them is just under 37k

The issue with Kat Park is the missing members. Start with the 34k capacity, and let's assume the AFL only take 14k for their purposes and AFL memberships.

That's 10k left per club. RFC has 12k in coteries, so zero regular members get to attend. With it 15% of Geelongs membership, I imagine it will be similar for them.

Fwiw I also don't think marvel should host finals, unless there are four finals in Vic week one. We have a 100k stadium, it's whole point of existence is to be used for the monster games in this state

The issue with Kat Park is the missing members. Start with the 34k capacity, and let's assume the AFL only take 14k for their purposes and AFL memberships.

That's 10k left per club. RFC has 12k in coteries, so zero regular members get to attend. With it 15% of Geelongs membership, I imagine it will be similar for them.

Fwiw I also don't think marvel should host finals, unless there are four finals in Vic week one. We have a 100k stadium, it's whole point of existence is to be used for the monster games in this state
I agree to an extent.

My problem with the MCG is that it was the home ground for 1 of 12 clubs before the 60s, and 2 of 12 clubs from the 60s, so essentially neutral. It's now the home ground of 6/10 victorian clubs (arguably Geelong as well, but I'd prefer it not to be - for various reasons). It's no longer a neutral venue, neither are the interstate venues for a possible 16 matchups. The balance has shifted and needs to be rectified.

I agree to an extent.

My problem with the MCG is that it was the home ground for 1 of 12 clubs before the 60s, and 2 of 12 clubs from the 60s, so essentially neutral. It's now the home ground of 6/10 victorian clubs (arguably Geelong as well, but I'd prefer it not to be - for various reasons). It's no longer a neutral venue, neither are the interstate venues for a possible 16 matchups. The balance has shifted and needs to be rectified.

What's the HGA though? Most clubs have a MCG training oval now. Noone is allowed to train at the g itself outside exception circumstances. The wind is also a non factor because the bowl means it's random swirls

The issue of advantage comes down to tactics. If you're a side like us that needs big wings, mcg Gabba scg are your want. If you need to congest in a narrow ground, Kat Park AO are the preference

Clubs need to get smarter at managing this (us included, marvel *s with our brain)

What's the HGA though?
The fact that 6 clubs regularly play there. The cats have an MCG sized training field at Deakin University, but it's no replacement for game time at the G. The crowd, the wind (it's still a factor).

It might be neutral for Collingwood v Richmond, but for the 12 teams who don't call the MCG home, it's not a neutral venue anymore. With interstate sides also having the home ground for finals, I see no reason why the four remaining clubs (Geelong, North, Dogs + Saints) don't get it too.

The fact that 6 clubs regularly play there. The cats have an MCG sized training field at Deakin University, but it's no replacement for game time at the G. The crowd, the wind (it's still a factor).

It might be neutral for Collingwood v Richmond, but for the 12 teams who don't call the MCG home, it's not a neutral venue anymore. With interstate sides also having the home ground for finals, I see no reason why the four remaining clubs (Geelong, North, Dogs + Saints) don't get it too.

Tell you what, I will support this if we get to train on the g as much as you do at cat park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell you what, I will support this if we get to train on the g as much as you do at cat park
We're training there less and less, as the venue is used for more than just the AFL/VFL.

I do find it an odd request that richmond fans hold onto, the fact that training at a ground gives some mythical advantage over number of games played at said venue. Next you'll be telling me richmond train under a rain machine

We're training there less and less, as the venue is used for more than just the AFL/VFL.

I do find it an odd request that richmond fans hold onto, the fact that training at a ground gives some mythical advantage over number of games played at said venue. Next you'll be telling me richmond train under a rain machine

well you guys go on about how much we play there, because we get used to the ground and the wind and etc

makes sense that training there - as you do - has the same benefit

or you just get on with the job and win it Goodies style ;)

Ticket sales online for the VFL game at punt road.
Is this a usual occurrence or are they expecting 8-10k to Rock up and lock some out?

A final against Essendon in a bye week when most of your supporters won’t be going to the AFL final next week anyway is as close to a perfect storm as you can get for the VFL. Hopefully a big crowd shows up like in the old days.

Interesting happenings in South East Queensland...

At the same time the Lions sold out their Qualifying Final within an hour of public release the Broncos hosted the Parramatta Eels in a defacto Elimination Final in the Friday Night lights (the Eels in many ways are pretty much the Tigers of the NRL)

The Eels are one of the biggest clubs in the NRL, perfect storm etc.

Nonetheless with cheap tickets and promotions, the Broncos drew just over 33,000 (a similar game 5 years ago probably draws 40,000)

Something is happening in South East Queensland, for the first time in 15 years the power balance is starting to shift back to the Lions.

Like the Swans in the NSW market (sorry Giant fans) the Lions are the premier brand Australian Football brand in the Queensland market. The Suns are a bit of a sideshow, and probably won’t have the reach and impact in SEQ that the Lions have.

In order to drive significant grassroots and commercial growth the Lions have a great opportunity to reassert it’s position in the 3rd largest market in Australia

Just another example of how sleazy the GF deal is ... when say Adelaide have earned top status versus say Richmond are ALL Adelaide members given preferential right to a seat?
All 50k + Eagles seated members given preference (they are limited to 20k under the current arrangement).

Does make you wonder what kind of crowd they could get in Brisbane for this game if they had a stadium big enough.
Wonder along wth Brisbane BBL side whether this will be the impetus to redevelop the Gabba. Don't think much has been done with the ground since the 90s.

The lack of refurbishment and upgrades to the Gabba cost it hosting a test match against India last summer. The Queensland government won’t cop that again and I think further improvements the venue are a guarantee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back