2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You will need most of the Richmond members ro turn up to achieve that figure. Melbourne fans are pretty fair weather and wont like the prospect of another flogging.
If Dees supporters and neutrals can get to 35K. I reckon we could get to 45K tiges supporters.

Don’t think Anzac eve will get anywhere near 80k

85k in 2017 was the perfect storm. Tigers 4-0 and Dees 3-1
Both sides had a fair bit of hope behind them and for a neutral was pretty appealing.

2019 tigers are 3-2 bouncing back with injuries, but the dees 1-4 ain’t going to fill the MCC rafters.

85k a outlier, 2 previous years were 60k, add that its know grown into a marquee game, 70k sounds about spot on

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t think Anzac eve will get anywhere near 80k

85k in 2017 was the perfect storm. Tigers 4-0 and Dees 3-1
Both sides had a fair bit of hope behind them and for a neutral was pretty appealing.

2019 tigers are 3-2 bouncing back with injuries, but the dees 1-4 ain’t going to fill the MCC rafters.

85k a outlier, 2 previous years were 60k, add that its know grown into a marquee game, 70k sounds about spot on

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

70,000+ would be great for a Wed night match at the MCG and in the context of crowds for any football code in Australia in 2019 would be a sensational crowd considering the ANZAC crowd the next day will be a sellout of most likely 97 - 98,000 if the MCC sell all their tickets as they say they will.
No other city in Australia consistently gets such massive crowds on any day of the week for any sport on a regular basis like Melbourne does for AFL!

How the hell will Anzac Day likely be 97-98k? It’s absurd to magically think almost every reserved seat member will be in Melbourne and attending the game when it is nowhere near the case for any other game. There’s always been a higher uptake than usual but nowhere near 95%+. The MCC clearly thinks it will be better able to fill its allocation, yes, but that’s nothing to do with reserved seat members showing up. The only way this game could reach 98k was if it was fully ticketed.

I still think we will still see a strong Melbourne turnout with it being a member replacement game and the MCC factor.
It will be around 80,000. There are quite a few neutrals that go to this game now. Replacement game status is worth another 5,000 more opposition fans. It a bit like Easter Monday. The base crowd for the fixture has gone up 10,000 - 15,000 the last two years I think.

How the hell will Anzac Day likely be 97-98k? It’s absurd to magically think almost every reserved seat member will be in Melbourne and attending the game when it is nowhere near the case for any other game. There’s always been a higher uptake than usual but nowhere near 95%+. The MCC clearly thinks it will be better able to fill its allocation, yes, but that’s nothing to do with reserved seat members showing up. The only way this game could reach 98k was if it was fully ticketed.
Correct! The crowd will be between 91 - 92,000. In addition, the last three or four ANZAC matches the MCC reserve has been almost full. I would suggest the only unused seats in recent years has been the back 8-10 rows in the 4-5 bays towards the Ponsford stand end of the reserve. I’d say there’s room for another 800 - 1,000 members in the reserve. Last year 91,440 was the attendance in a sunny day. Given some people are away for the week and allowing for the fact member seats are not all used on the day, anything over 92,000 would be an enormous result.

Last edited:
It will be around 80,000. There are quite a few neutrals that go to this game now. Replacement game status is worth another 5,000 more opposition fans. It a bit like Easter Monday. The base crowd for the fixture has gone up 10,000 - 15,000 the last two years I think.

I hope you're right and im thinking between 75-80K but you're missing one key element the dees are 1 win and 4 losses and there will be plenty of no shows from them. Yes a replacement game for them but that doesn't mean much when the supporter base is disenchanted, a little like when the bombers lose one or 2 games and you're going on how it will effect the following weeks attendance. Neutrals i dare say will be more at the Thurs game.
Agree that the fixture has grown but dees still bottom 4 and listening to their fans on the radio their season is shot.
I trully hope they come in decent numbers cause the tiger army will be there in big numbers.

I hope you're right and im thinking between 75-80K but you're missing one key element the dees are 1 win and 4 losses and there will be plenty of no shows from them. Yes a replacement game for them but that doesn't mean much when the supporter base is disenchanted, a little like when the bombers lose one or 2 games and you're going on how it will effect the following weeks attendance. Neutrals i dare say will be more at the Thurs game.
Agree that the fixture has grown but dees still bottom 4 and listening to their fans on the radio their season is shot.
I trully hope they come in decent numbers cause the tiger army will be there in big numbers.
Fair points there. My take is that if this was simply a Richmond home game on a Friday night this week it would draw between 60-65,000.

It will be interesting to see the crowd figure. I still think around upwards of 80,000 will go along which to me talks to the elevated status and away team replacement fixture. Like ANZAC Day has been for some time, even if one teams form is ordinary the fixture has now become an annual must see for so many of the clubs fans that formlines don’t impact the crowd to the same extent. Even when Essendon were fed instead in 2016 the fixture still drew 85,000. ANZAC Eve is now building towards a similar status for the Tigers and Demons fans in my view.

ANZAC Day is sold out and I’d say with unlimited capacity this years fixture would draw another 10,000 spectators.. Given both teams are going well this match would draw close to 90,000 without the public holiday status. Its a genuine blockbuster between in my opinion the two biggest clubs in the AFL. That scenario in good weather almost always draws over 85,000.

Fair points there. My take is that if this was simply a Richmond home game on a Friday night this week it would draw between 60-65,000.

What? Richmond have drawn over 50k against interstate opposition twice in their entire existence, and one was a grand final rematch. And this game is a long way from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to see the crowd figure. I still think around upwards of 80,000 will go along which to me talks to the elevated status and away team replacement fixture. Like ANZAC Day has been for some time, even if one teams form is ordinary the fixture has now become an annual must see for so many of the clubs fans that formlines don’t impact the crowd to the same extent. Even when Essendon were fed instead in 2016 the fixture still drew 85,000. ANZAC Eve is now building towards a similar status for the Tigers and Demons fans in my view.

Im not saying it wont hit 80K+ but if it doesn't i wouldn't at all be surprised considering Melbourne's lack luster form which could well turn away the half hearted to attend. Two years ago we got 86K to our home game the only reason we wouldn't get that again if Melbourne dont do their part.
So thats the unknown i speak of with their season at 1 and 4 and thrashed by the Saints their could well be some crowd fluctuation in terms of numbers.
I trully hope we do hit 80K and over but i say this with some trepidation as we dont have 2 decades of crowd data to comfortably say this game will at least hit 80 or 85K irrespective of how the teams are travelling.

The MCC reserve sure the dees are majority but u need to contribute around the rest of the ground. We will thats a certainty.
Anzac Day Eve is still building (5th year) compared to Anzac day which is a public holiday and its been going on for about 25 years.

For the pies and dons you have 2 big clubs (for rich v dees) u have one big club and if one of the bombers or pies arent performing the unperformed will still bring enough fans around the ground plus the theatre goers have Anzac Day on their wish list to attend.

MCG quite off with their prediction for this match. Not bad... but disappointing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back