2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Numbers Sunday:

Bulldogs/Carlton: 185,000
Adelaide/Gold Coast: 193,000

Fox Numbers for the Round: 1,857,000 Avg: 206,000

Reasonable. Obviously an advantage having no overlapping games....but there was also a disproportionate number of blow outs.

Every game was either a blow out or reasonably comfortable. Giants lead at the start of the last quarter....no other losing team got within 3 goals after half time apart from Hawthorn briefly

Tomorrow nights game has been forecasted down to 70K.

Fox Numbers Sunday:

Bulldogs/Carlton: 185,000
Adelaide/Gold Coast: 193,000

Fox Numbers for the Round: 1,857,000 Avg: 206,000

Pretty amazing that Adelaide v Gold Coast would get 193k.
To average 206k on Fox across a 9 game round is pretty good. It shows what's possible when games are spread out as much as possible - that's why you can bank a regular Thursday night game for the new broadcast deal.

It is now only the second time there has been 5 rounds in a row in a single season to all reach 300k. The first was Rounds 3-7 in 2008.

There was also a run of 5 taking in the last round of 2011 and the first 4 rounds of 2012.

Round 6 will also easily surpass 300k and Round 7 should do as well but that's where the streak will probably end.

Only a few years ago in 2015 & 2016 we couldn't even get 7 rounds over 300k for the year.

1556010326258.png

It is now only the second time there has been 5 rounds in a row in a single season to all reach 300k. The first was Rounds 3-7 in 2008.

There was also a run of 5 taking in the last round of 2011 and the first 4 rounds of 2012.

Round 6 will also easily surpass 300k and Round 7 should do as well but that's where the streak will probably end.

Only a few years ago in 2015 & 2016 we couldn't even get 7 rounds over 300k for the year.

View attachment 660551

There is I reckon about a 1 in 4 chance that all of the first 11 rounds will be north of 300K....round 8 and 11 probably line balls

Ouch. That's a pretty big write down from the last one. Hopefully they've over corrected.

I think 70k is pretty spot on.

How many times has Melbourne pulled above 70k now a home and away game?
For that how many times has Richmond against neither pies, blues or bombers?

2017 is an extreme outlier, but I hope to be proven completely wrong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Melbourne only has 21 crowds ever of over 70k. Over half are QB or ANZAC Eve.

Richmond only has 6 crowds of 70k against non 'Big 4' teams. (+50 v Coll, Ess, Carl)

2 x ANZAC Eve
1 x Queen's Birthday
1 x Hawthorn last year and 1 x Geelong in 1980 that scraped over the 70k line
1 x Melbourne in 1998 that drew 76k

Melbourne only has 21 crowds ever of over 70k. Over half are QB or ANZAC Eve.

Richmond only has 6 crowds of 70k against non 'Big 4' teams. (+50 v Coll, Ess, Carl)

2 x ANZAC Eve
1 x Queen's Birthday
1 x Hawthorn last year and 1 x Geelong in 1980 that scraped over the 70k line
1 x Melbourne in 1998 that drew 76k

71,488 St Kilda v Richmond Waverley Park R11,1998

IT will depend on how many Tigers fans out of the 100,000 members turn up.
Melbourne are on the nose with their supporters with their feeble efforts so far this season and could be in for a hiding so Im still sticking with 75k tops.I doubt the match would pick up 15K neutrals for this game They will all be at home on the couch.

Melb and St Kilda could only pull 35k on Sat at the G so where do you get the 20k Melbourne fans from?

Ur spot on it will depend how many of the tiger army decide to roll up, but if the dees had won a few games then their fans would be more inclined.
15K neutrals not a chance, neutrals in big numbers dont go to games where one team is 17th on the ladder, its not enticing enough.
Id be more inclined to say their would be 10-20K neutrals at coll v dons on the Thursday. Now that game is going to be a cracker!

This is what i was mentioning about crowd fluctuation on this game anywhere between 70-75K or 75K-80K and even though the MCG has downgraded to 70K, it could come down on the day for many dees fans and neutrals too whether they decide to go or not. Im trully hopping they lean to go.

manicmagpie u got me thinking about how many times clubs get over 70 or 80K+ but getting to 90K is on another level, there will be 90K on Thursday but other than Anzac day have the bombers or pies ever hit 90K?
Its an absolute rarity by clubs in the H&A season to crack 90K and over.
Richmond has achieved it 3 times V pies, blues & bombers and pies too 3 times V tigers, hawks & dees. That 99.256 V the dees in 1958 will never be surpassed, curious to know what the MCG capacity was back then?

The bombers 2 V carl and tigers and blues 2 each also V tigers and bombers. is that correct? Happy to stand corrected if im wrong.
I didnt go looking at all clubs but i guess you will have spreadsheets on the go :cool:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ur spot on it will depend how many of the tiger army decide to roll up, but if the dees had won a few games then their fans would be more inclined.
15K neutrals not a chance, neutrals in big numbers dont go to games where one team is 17th on the ladder, its not enticing enough.
Id be more inclined to say their would be 10-20K neutrals at coll v dons on the Thursday. Now that game is going to be a cracker!

This is what i was mentioning about crowd fluctuation on this game anywhere between 70-75K or 75K-80K and even though the MCG has downgraded to 70K, it could come down on the day for many dees fans and neutrals too whether they decide to go or not. Im trully hopping they lean to go.

Yep very interesting the MCC have dropped to 70K from 80K as I have said all along 75K tops and maybe late 60s
There are a lot of people on holidays who have taken the whole week off so this might also effect the crowd.

manicmagpie u got me thinking about how many times clubs get over 70 or 80K+ but getting to 90K is on another level, there will be 90K on Thursday but other than Anzac day have the bombers or pies ever hit 90K?
Its an absolute rarity by clubs in the H&A season to crack 90K and over.
Richmond has achieved it 3 times V pies, blues & bombers and pies too 3 times V tigers, hawks & dees. That 99.256 V the dees in 1958 will never be surpassed, curious to know what the MCG capacity was back then?

The bombers 2 V carl and tigers and blues 2 each also V tigers and bombers. is that correct? Happy to stand corrected if im wrong.
I didnt go looking at all clubs but i guess you will have spreadsheets on the go :cool:

There's 13 games over 90k altogether. 10 to the Pies, 9 to Essendon, 3 to Richmond, 2 to Carlton, 1 to Hawthorn and 1 to Melbourne.

But there's only really 1 crowd of over 90k that wasn't a public holiday or specially promoted marquee game - and that's Essendon v Carlton in 2000. To get that they needed two big rivals to be 1 and 2 on the ladder having won 19 games in a row and 13 out of 14 respectively.

Out of the 12 other games there are 8 ANZAC Days (7 Ess-Coll, 1 Rich-Coll), 2 Queen's Birthdays (1 Melb-Coll, 1 Haw-Coll) and 1 Easter Monday (Rich-Ess).

The only other non public holiday was Round 1 last year which took a marquee game that regularly gets above 80k and added a flag raising on top.

Getting 90k is hard and not to be sniffed at however it happens, is my opinion.

It’s spectacular at night also.
Night m
I think 70k is pretty spot on.

2017 is an extreme outlier, but I hope to be proven completely wrong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This isn’t a normal Richmond V Melbourne game. It’s a annual blockbuster fixture akin to a public holiday event. This is why it is likely to draw over 70,000 tonight.

As a standard match away from this feature timeslot I’d say this would draw in the low - mid 50,000 range.

70,000 tonight would be a strong crowd but it’s not indicative of a normal Richmond V Melbourne match with the away team out of form from a crowd perspective..

Anyway, what a great city Melbourne is... Over 24 hours there will be around 160,000 spectators at the MCG for footy. Amazing!

And there’s probably another 15,000 that would go on ANZAC Day if the stadium is big enough! I reckon tomorrow’s match would draw 110,000 is it could. Unbelievable really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back