2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely 4.40 is worse but not sure if they have that time slot anymore in Vic.
I dont mind 3.20 but many hate it, just ask the hawks fans they detest it.

MCC estimated 57K so to get 65K was impressive.

Next week "weather permitting" Rich V Ess Dreamtime should hit or get close to 85K
It won’t be 85,000. Essendon supporters won’t see this as a realistic chance and won’t all turn up. I’d say circa 80,000

It won’t be 85,000. Essendon supporters won’t see this as a realistic chance and won’t all turn up. I’d say circa 80,000
MCG has a predicted attendance of 83K but that number was from last week.

80,000 is around the mark still think there will be 25,000 to 30,000 Bombers.
Maybe.. There will be a healthy Bombers turn out due to strong pre sales and they will hold sway in the MCC and AFL members. However they won’t be there in ‘lid off’ numbers. The only reason it will be 80,000+ is: There’s been a strong pre sale for this match since tickets were originally released based on a resurgent Essendon against a contender Richmond. That in effect ensures a higher base notwithstanding form lines. In addition there will be some neutrals turning up for the annual match up.

Maybe.. There will be a healthy Bombers turn out due to strong pre sales and they will hold sway in the MCC and AFL members. However they won’t be there in ‘lid off’ numbers. The only reason it will be 80,000+ is: There’s been a strong pre sale for this match since tickets were originally released based on a resurgent Essendon against a contender Richmond. That in effect ensures a higher base notwithstanding form lines. In addition there will be some neutrals turning up for the annual match up.

Dave in one hand you're saying bombers fans wont all turn up and in the other you're saying you will hold sway in AFL members and MCC members.
Bombers have about 1500-2000 more than tigers in AFL reserve but our 3121 members (2K) have access to AFL reserve and most times we have played you guys its been pretty even in the reserve. Only pies pretty much dwarf everyone in the AFL reserve.
For MCC yes u guys have 2nd most to Dees, pretty sure tiges have about 11K MCC members.

Anyway if 45-50K tigers roll up, 25-30K bombers and add in neutrals surely it gets to 85K or thereabouts, but i say this as i dont know how the weather is next sat night.

Dave in one hand you're saying bombers fans wont all turn up and in the other you're saying you will hold sway in AFL members and MCC members.
Bombers have about 1500-2000 more than tigers in AFL reserve but our 3121 members (2K) have access to AFL reserve and most times we have played you guys its been pretty even in the reserve. Only pies pretty much dwarf everyone in the AFL reserve.
For MCC yes u guys have 2nd most to Dees, pretty sure tiges have about 11K MCC members.

Anyway if 45-50K tigers roll up, 25-30K bombers and add in neutrals surely it gets to 85K or thereabouts, but i say this as i dont know how the weather is next sat night.
Given it’s a Richmond home game, there will be a stronger contingent of Essendon fans in the AFL and MCC reserves purely as it’s an away game for the Dons and their fans will sit in these reserves instead of using their home match membership seats (I for one am an example of this. I sit in the MCC for away matches only). In addition Essendon have around 4-5,000 more MCC members than Richmond, plus any guests they bring with them...

AFL reserve the gap is smaller but there all the same. I think it will be a decent crowd. I just don’t believe Essendon fans can realistically see a win. That must have some impact to match day attendance despite the factors noted above. Essendon bringing 25-30,000 along to Saturday night this week could’ve been many more if Essendon had beaten the Swans as well as played much better football against the Swans and Dockers to give their fans real hope they can win a match against a contender.

Given it’s a Richmond home game, there will be a stronger contingent of Essendon fans in the AFL and MCC reserves purely as it’s an away game for the Dons and their fans will sit in these reserves instead of using their home match membership seats (I for one am an example of this. I sit in the MCC for away matches only). In addition Essendon have around 4-5,000 more MCC members than Richmond, plus any guests they bring with them...

AFL reserve the gap is smaller but there all the same. I think it will be a decent crowd. I just don’t believe Essendon fans can realistically see a win. That must have some impact to match day attendance despite the factors noted above. Essendon bringing 25-30,000 along to Saturday night this week could’ve been many more if Essendon had beaten the Swans as well as played much better football against the Swans and Dockers to give their fans real hope they can win a match against a contender.

Fair enough well explained. But im not taking you guys lightly, we wont underestimate the bombers i saw how well you played V the pies.
And agree the swans loss was bad as that win wouldve had u on the cusp of the 8 with 20 points (equal 7th with the crows).

Interesting.

A lot of talk on the Hawthorn Board that Federal Labor's commitment to provide a $20m contribution towards the new Dingley development could be tied up with their commitment to provide $25m towards a new Tasmanian team.

Given that the Dingley commitment is forecast to be a $130m investment (and its likely to balloon further) that commitment is crucial to attract similar commitments from the State Government and the AFL.

Kennett has previously indicated that the club would need to raise a significant amount of finance independent of government and AFL commitments (with up to $25m already raised from benefactors and the Hawthorn Forever foundation)

The logical solution would be for North Melbourne to swallow the Hawthorn games or for a 3rd party to trump Hawthorn and North Melbourne (St Kilda, who has a historical affiliation with Tasmania stronger then any other VFL era club?) but that article heavily hints at Tasmania being issued a 19th license doesn't it

interesting to see what impact the coalitions victory on election night will have on this

interesting to see what impact the coalitions victory on election night will have on this

I doubt they'll get the support for it from the coalition (Isaacs is a safe ALP seat)

The proposal supported by the ALP involved a $130m project with 60% of the 28 ha returned to the community for community use.

I guess if it wasn't to get the $20m support from the coalition (and politically, why would it?) a new scheme would probably need to be drawn up with less community use and more private commitments.

The other consideration with Dingley is that Hawthorn owns the grandstand at Waverley Park so something could work with that (but that would probably be more of a state / AFL issue)

Lots to consider...

On the swing about they no longer have to worry about the Shorten government seed funding a start up Tasmanian AFL team.

So that's one less medium term problem!

Last edited:
83k expected for Dreamtime. That'd be enormous considering really only one team is expected to win and Essendon supporters are having melts. Probably after Anzac Day and Carlton and Richmond in Round 1, this has become the best drawing H&A season match. 78,222 over the past 7 years (81,767 if you exclude 2016 when the Essendon players were banned for PEDs).

Both crowds at the MCG on the weekend were terrific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very ordinary week for the AFL on fox. Total fox numbers were 1,246,000 for the 9 matches, an average viewer of 138,000 per match. Fox numbers for the 81 matches this year total 14,318,000, an average of 177,000 viewers per match.

By the way as well as crowds are how the hell have Collingwood and Geelong only played 1 match each outside Victoria so far.(deserved there wins) Not to mention Richmonds last 7 matches of the year are all at the MCG.

By the way as well as crowds are how the hell have Collingwood and Geelong only played 1 match each outside Victoria so far.(deserved there wins) Not to mention Richmonds last 7 matches of the year are all at the MCG.
Richmond has already played 3 of 5 interstate games.

I know Collingwood are back when people start complaining about when our travel is scheduled again.

It’s always too early in the season, or too late, or too spread out evenly. We visit GWS and West Coast in consecutive weeks in July, I can’t wait to find out how that one is spun into a benefit for us. :think:

I know Collingwood are back when people start complaining about when our travel is scheduled again.

It’s always too early in the season, or too late, or too spread out evenly. We visit GWS and West Coast in consecutive weeks in July, I can’t wait to find out how that one is spun into a benefit for us. :think:
You fly straight from Sydney to Perth, saving a whole 70mi of travel!

83k expected for Dreamtime. That'd be enormous considering really only one team is expected to win and Essendon supporters are having melts. Probably after Anzac Day and Carlton and Richmond in Round 1, this has become the best drawing H&A season match. 78,222 over the past 7 years (81,767 if you exclude 2016 when the Essendon players were banned for PEDs).

Both crowds at the MCG on the weekend were terrific.

Will totally depend on the weather to get over 80,000

Very ordinary week for the AFL on fox. Total fox numbers were 1,246,000 for the 9 matches, an average viewer of 138,000 per match. Fox numbers for the 81 matches this year total 14,318,000, an average of 177,000 viewers per match.
Who cares Foxtel is an outdated platform and slowly dying before our eyes and wont have the money to buy the big sports like the AFL in the future.
I doubt it will exist in its current form in 10 years time.

I'd say the only concern in what has been generally an excellent year for crowds has been the home attendances of the two new clubs.

Notwithstanding that the Sun 4:40 spot isn't favourable, the GWS/Blues crowd was a poor one. They've been a quality side for 3-4 years now and should be getting 15k for matches like that. What are the crowds going to be if they have a few mediocre years in a row?

Notwithstanding that the Sun 4:40 spot isn't favourable, the GWS/Blues crowd was a poor one. They've been a quality side for 3-4 years now and should be getting 15k for matches like that. What are the crowds going to be if they have a few mediocre years in a row?
A 4pm NRL Round 1(!) Sunday game this year in Penrith, against Parramatta, drew 12k. Where are you pulling 15k from? It is an expectation totally removed from the reality of their landscape.

Please specify exactly what you think the Giants are doing wrong. Must be pretty severe if you feel they're letting a third of their market slip.

A 4pm NRL Round 1(!) Sunday game this year in Penrith, against Parramatta, drew 12k. Where are you pulling 15k from? It is an expectation totally removed from the reality of their landscape.

Please specify exactly what you think the Giants are doing wrong. Must be pretty severe if you feel they're letting a third of their market slip.

Who cares what some NRL match crowd was earlier in the year? As is observed incessantly on here, the NRL is eons behind AFL in terms of being a crowd puller.

I was making the observation about GWS based on their trajectory of crowds, and it should be added their history of crowds against Carlton at home. Sun night's crowd was basically as the same level as their previous crowds, going back to their 2014/15 era when they were still a battling side. Based on their generally excellent performances since 2016, I would've expected them to have had some level of growth from those earlier encounters and there's been none.

Who cares what some NRL match crowd was earlier in the year? As is observed incessantly on here, the NRL is eons behind AFL in terms of being a crowd puller
You don't care because you're not interested in realistic expectations, and now we all know that.

I was making the observation about GWS based on their trajectory of crowds, and it should be added their history of crowds against Carlton at home. Sun night's crowd was basically as the same level as their previous crowds, going back to their 2014/15 era when they were still a battling side. Based on their generally excellent performances since 2016, I would've expected them to have had some level of growth from those earlier encounters and there's been none.
You failed to observe their matches against Carlton during those years were in much more attendance-friendly timeslots. For this year's less desirable fixture to draw a crowd of equal size (actually, slightly bigger), it obviously indicates growth there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back