2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a miracle we didn't have any major disaster back in those days.

My post was more on the fact that you don't think the MCG counts staff as part of its attendance. I don't think they do either if I had to guess, but I know NRL stadiums were "caught" out counting staff previously and it would be foolish to rule it out of any stadium in Australia.

In the first couple of years that Adelaide Oval was in use for footy the AFL used to downgrade the crowd figure announced at the game by about 900-1000 a few days later every week because the venue was counting staff and officials that other venues weren’t.

In the first couple of years that Adelaide Oval was in use for footy the AFL used to downgrade the crowd figure announced at the game by about 900-1000 a few days later every week because the venue was counting staff and officials that other venues weren’t.
It was never a thousand person adjustment, but was in the 780-920 range. I posted the adjustments on the port board in 2015. The AFL only picked it up after the 2014 EF, as they have 100% control of the ticketing come finals, and when they went to reconcile $$$$ to tickets they picked it up then.

My post was more on the fact that you don't think the MCG counts staff as part of its attendance. I don't think they do either if I had to guess, but I know NRL stadiums were "caught" out counting staff previously and it would be foolish to rule it out of any stadium in Australia.
It is a miracle there was no disaster considering what happened in the 80's in England.

Yep they wouldnt get away with it today the toilets in those days both male and female were no way enough for the crowds and were always flooding and the womens had massive queues.
Guys used to pee in bottles and cans to avoid the toilets.Im certain people would have been crushed and trampled if a stampede had happened.
I was told it was up to the police on the day to judge how many people to let in.For some big matches during the regular season many people would camp outside the MCG for days to get the best places as it was first in best dressed.

Just a pass for a Thursday night.
Would have gotten 50,000 + on a Fri or Sat.It will be interesting to see if the TV ratings justify playing on a week night with work and school the next day
Must admit from my view in the western stand it looked a lot more packed, was expecting around 44-45,000.

40,837 at Adelaide Oval
Looked a lot more than that on the box. The Hill is always a good indicator and that was pretty full. So unless the top deck of the eastern stand and southern stand was poorly attended and you dont see on TV that figure looks iffy.

Looked a lot more than that on the box. The Hill is always a good indicator and that was pretty full. So unless the top deck of the eastern stand and southern stand was poorly attended and you dont see on TV that figure looks iffy.
Sitting in the western stand the left side of the hill was a bit vacant but the top levels of both the eastern and riverbank stands were quite full, certainly seemed a lot more packed than the last 2 games.

Just a pass for a Thursday night.
Would have gotten 50,000 + on a Fri or Sat.It will be interesting to see if the TV ratings justify playing on a week night with work and school the next day
I think we can safely say 1m+ viewers suggest its a yes and why Thursday night is here to stay. Was listening to the 5AA commentary at the time and they said it was a decent turnout on a cold and wet night (showers were threatening apparently).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the AFL even schedule Thursday night games in the middle of winter when it's not school holidays so kids and families won't go and there are byes and the idiots can't even work it out so that 2 teams play who have come off the bye and one team isn't having 5 or 6 days break and the other has 7 or more days off?

It can't be that ******* hard to improve the shedule.

Very excited about the game in Hobart this weekend,hopefully it gets more than the 4 to 5 thousand I have predicted for this game.

Why does the AFL even schedule Thursday night games in the middle of winter when it's not school holidays so kids and families won't go and there are byes and the idiots can't even work it out so that 2 teams play who have come off the bye and one team isn't having 5 or 6 days break and the other has 7 or more days off?

It can't be that ******* hard to improve the shedule.
Think its more on Channel 7 wanting thursday nights during this period. Looking at the TV shares 7 only had 25.1% Wednesday night compared to 38.4% last night. Channel 9 have the voice and the 3 SOO NRL games through this period so in order to rival channel nine having 2 nights of prime time Football would allow them to compete. Personally i liked to see just the first 9 rounds of the season to have Thursday nights and then back to normal for the rest of the season.

Think its more on Channel 7 wanting thursday nights during this period. Looking at the TV shares 7 only had 25.1% Wednesday night compared to 38.4% last night. Channel 9 have the voice and the 3 SOO NRL games through this period so in order to rival channel nine having 2 nights of prime time Football would allow them to compete. Personally i liked to see just the first 9 rounds of the season to have Thursday nights and then back to normal for the rest of the season.
This TV deal 7 produce a Friday night + Saturday night + 3.20EST Sunday game = 66 games (yes they do a trade off over 3 bye rounds to cover 23 Rds but 66 games is their share) + 8 Thursday night games and 3 public holiday games = 77 of 198 games. The 8 Thursday games shold be at the start of the year or say 5 in March and April when the weather is good and 3 on Thursday only when school holidays in that state or move them to August when the weather is better than June and July.

As mentioned before. Anybody who pays to watch the Giants or the Suns play are dumb with the amount of freebies givnen out
I live here and aside from the occasional promotion i get as a member to bring some friends for free, i dont see ads or info on how to obtain free tickets. Tell me more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back