2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So 304,411 thus far at an average of 50,735

391,980 is the third highest round ever. Would have thought that's outta reach but surely give fourth a nudge at 381,880. Pretty good considering 3 of the "little four" Melbourne teams hosted non Vic teams and the likes of West coast sydney Essendon and hawthorn all played out of state

So the good news ratings story continues

Last nights FTA broadcasts up from 431K to 441K. With the drop in Melbourne from 275k to 200K (Collingwood Hawks last year) and the 59K in Adelaide last year (FTA broadcasts were the two Adelaide teams yesterday so no saturday night) was more than compensated by the big increases in Sydney(24K increasing to 57K), Brisbane (20K up to 53K) and Perth (53K up to 131K)

Interestingly Brisbane had bigger average numbers for the pre (62K) and post (57K) games than the game itself. THis points the challenges of comparing AFL games with other codes where averages are calculated on a denominator that is 50% lower.

Massive lift in ratings on foxtel though

The saturday night games went 167K (dogs swans) and 102K (Lions Eagles) compared to last years were 176K for Collingwood Hawks and the Suns roos game didn't make the cut off of 75K (though I'm sure it was made public at the time

Even better though was the twilight and arvo games pulled 242K (crows hawks) and 189K (Dees Power) respectively. Last year the equivalent matches pulled 122K (Power Dockers) and 134K (Saints Lions)

So probably a better "offer" in matches this year and no F1 qualifying but certainly the strong start to the year continued yesterday.

In terms of the AFLW prelim, the FTA ratings were 151K (103K metro), which is probably a pass. No foxtel numbers yet.

The GF didn't make the top 20s last year (though I am sure the numbers were published at the time)

Apparently there were 15k at giants stadium. I think roughly 41k in Perth would provide the fourth highest attended round ever

Really strong week in the crowd front.

Rich and Carlton lock up the opener for the foreseeable future. Until it’s consistently below 80k there is no chance in hell its moving. Especially when it’s expected the blues will be on the improve over the next few years.

Friday night proved a winner. Pies turned out in force.

Atmosphere was pumping Saturday night and Marvel with the dogs too.

Hoping for 80k next Thursday night too.. slightly optimistic in a work night with comparable early match ups getting around 60, but there’s a bit in this one for the tigers fans to get one back.

Think hawks and Dogs could get over 40k on the Sunday too.

Worried for the Bombers and saints crowd and North and Lions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fremantle V North Melbourne (40,033)

Round 1 ends with a total attendance of 380,159 (42,240) up 5,045 from round 1 in 2018. The 5th best attended round in AFL history helped largely by the first 2 matches of the year.

MCG crowds marginally down by 425:

2018: 202,314
2019: 201,889

Victorian Crowds down 14,568 from 2018 round 1:

2018: 269,061
2019: 254,493

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to my first ever game at Spotless, now Giants stadium today.

I hadn't realised this before but what was surprising to me was the hundreds upon hundreds of people standing above the seated areas watching the game, and thats just in the vicinity where I was.

I also noticed the jumping castles and footy kicking games below the scoreboard teeming with kids and parents.

These things are hard to visualize on tv and got me thinking that all the cynics saying gws fudge their crowds simply through casual looks at their tv screen dont see this.

There's certainly more at the ground than just looking at the seating. Convinced of this now that I've experienced it first hand.

Last edited:
I went to my first ever game at Spotless, now Giants stadium today.

I hadn't realised this before but what was surprising to me was the hundreds upon hundreds of people standing above the seated areas watching the game, and thats just in the vicinity where I was.

I also noticed the jumping castles and footy kicking games below the scoreboard teeming with kids and parents.

These things are hard to visualize on tv and got me thinking that all the cynics saying gws fudge their crowds simply through casual looks at their tv screen dont see this.

There's certainly more at the ground than just looking at the seating. Convinced of this now that I've experienced it first hand.
Good observations. You can partially see a jumping castle on the TV footage. You could also see, even mid quarter, when the cameras pan around the ground, hundreds of people walking around the concourse. I am not sure if that is a Sydney thing. I recall watching a Wallabies game at ANZ stadium years ago and everybody was just talking amongst themselves (could be a rugby thing - not sure). Would be interesting to do a comparison with the Swans at the SCG...

c0gtYy6.png

Last edited:
I would’ve expected minimum 80,000 to Thursday nights match. 75k seems a bit low, even though it is on a weeknight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back