2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a great margin of error for what the crowd could be Saturday at Marvel. Anyway from low 30s to high 40s.

The fact that Richmond have been away for the last two weeks ought to bring a higher number than usual to a Tigers Docklands game.

The fact that Richmond have been away for the last two weeks ought to bring a higher number than usual to a Tigers Docklands game.

Agreed
I’m sure club would want 40k.

That said the factors against are more than the factors for.

-Sydney 1-3
-Easter
-Marvel stadium

I’m thinking it will be 35k. Struggling to remember what they got last year, though it was much later in the season and touted a big of a blockbuster.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed
I’m sure club would want 40k.

That said the factors against are more than the factors for.

-Sydney 1-3
-Easter
-Marvel stadium

I’m thinking it will be 35k. Struggling to remember what they got last year, though it was much later in the season and touted a big of a blockbuster.

43K last year. It was a blockbuster match, but it was on a Thursday. That probably cancels each one out.

It's Richmond's 2nd 'home' game for the year and our first 'family friendly' timeslot.

Richmond doesn't play a home weekend game at the MCG until round 9 v Hawthorn.

I'm expecting a decent crowd, especially of families who won't go to night games on a school night.

I wonder what effect having 3 big games across 4 days will do to the neutral crowds. I expect Easter Monday to suffer the most.

As of 5.40pm today there are 47 tickets left for our game tomorrow.

I've always maintained if we started winning again the Gabba wouldn't be big enough.

I've also maintained that Collingwood are our biggest rival, not the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always maintained if we started winning again the Gabba wouldn't be big enough.

Now but maybe not in a decade

How close do you think the game will get to the Gabba's 42,000 capacity?

How close do you think the game will get to the Gabba's 42,000 capacity?

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/3cf19cca8aa09890636a8cb000b113a3

The Gabba’s capacity is listed as 41,974 in the official AFL season guide but those figures are outdated.

New, larger, screens introduced in the past three years have cut available seating.

And like international cricket which has a reduced capacity due to the creation of the pool deck and for sight screens, the ground is remodelled for AFL matches also which also reduces capacity.

There is a veranda corporate area and electronic signage behind the benches which wipes out close to 500 seats.

The capacity of sellable seats is now about 34,000.

if the anticipated number of Gabba and Queensland Cricketers Club members turn out the Lions believe they will hit 35,000.

So 35,000 is the realistic "Sellout" crowd at the Gabba now.

It's another away game.

Sure, it's officially listed as ours, but it's not at our home ground, the opposition plays there more than we do, and the ground manager/AFL will make sure we don't do anything to make it particularly 'ours'.

Good positive article in todays AGE

Footy on the nose? Crowd record set to be broken again suggests otherwise
995ec20769cc2faf6a9839bb600c3dfc18fd947a
By Sam McClure
April 17, 2019 — 7.56pm

• The AFL will be hoping to break a record across the Easter weekend, with a strong crowd in Melbourne on Good Friday likely to help the league achieve never-before-seen numbers.
If 300,000 fans turn up to the nine matches, starting with Brisbane hosting Collingwood tonight and ending with the traditional Easter Monday blockbuster between Hawthorn and Geelong, it will be the first time in history that 300,000 fans have attended games in the first five rounds of the season.
Despite conjecture from key figures in the game – including legendary Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson – around the impact the new rules are having on scoring, fans continue to turn up in their droves.

Footy's special days: Easter Monday at the MCG.CREDIT:pAT SCALA

The evenness of the competition is helping to drive that, with former cellar-dwellers Brisbane and Gold Coast enjoying promising starts to the year, while the league’s newest team Greater Western Sydney have re-announced themselves as a genuine premiership threat.
The closest the league has come to that record was in 2012, when 300,000 per round was achieved in the first four rounds but dropped off in round five.

It will be interesting to see how much this new policy boosts the crowd.
Hopefully it gets to 97- 98,000

Sold-out Anzac Day match first test of MCC's new ticketing policy
4a17dbc4cb86701392399f34d2352b02cf7aec89
By Yan Zhuang
April 18, 2019 — 5.52pm

The Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood has sold out to the public, meaning it will be the first test of the MCC's new ticketing policy.
Under the new policy, some reserve tickets could be be made available to the public.
The MCC announced on its website on Thursday that to ensure a full house, it "may make a decision to place additional tickets on sale".
[IMG='width:132px;']https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.228%2C$multiply_1%2C$ratio_1.776846%2C$width_1059%2C$x_0%2C$y_0/t_crop_custom/w_375/q_86%2Cf_auto/b4e67e9f994ae0c6c061f94f198e888eb75d33d1[/IMG]
The ANZAC Day Collingwood v Essendon clash is the only game of the home-and-away season to sell out tickets to the general public ahead of time.
On the day of the match, if the members' reserve appears unlikely to reach capacity with walk-up attendees after gates open at 12pm, the MCC will make visitor tickets to the 23,000-seat capacity reserve available to members, and give provisional members access to the game.

If there is still space in the members' reserve, they will be released to members of the public who have filled in an expression of interest form, which the MCC has opened.
The policy was announced in February, aiming to make it possible for every seat in the stadium to be filled.
The new policy applies when public tickets are sold out 24 hours in advance of a game being played at the venue.

A spokesman for the MCC acknowledged the short timeframe the MCC would have to notify fans if tickets became available, between the 12pm open of the members' gates and the start of the match at 3.20pm.

"The timeframe is obviously very tight but if people really want to come they've been given notifications now. So if people want to come to the game you'd hope they'd be close by so that they can get in," he said, though acknowledging that this would not always be possible for all fans, especially those living far away.
However, he said the MCC was "pretty confident people would have enough time to get a ticket".
"We're pretty confident the reserve will be filled given we've sold out of visitor tickets," he said, noting that 2000 more visitor tickets had been sold this year than last year.
The judgement about whether the reserves were filling to capacity would be made "based on comparison with historical data and looking at the trends of people coming in".
The spokesman stressed that priority would be given to members to ensure them every opportunity to buy tickets and advised fans to follow the MCC's social media channels for updates on the day.

Last year, the Anzac Day Collingwood-Essendon game attracted 91,440 spectators. It is the only game of the home-and-away season to sell out tickets to the general public ahead of time.

34,017 at the Gabba tonight! But will they come back again after the Lions drubbing tonight?

Sad to admit it but Brisbane is a very bandwagonny city. Disappointing year of sport so far for Brisbane. Heat were a let down, Broncos are down from their lofty standards, Roar have been irrelevant for years and now Lions look to be posting another false dawn. Sad time to be a sports fan in Brissy. Lucky to see 20k at the Gabba against the Swans in 2 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back