Remove this Banner Ad

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Dont know why the AFL dont buy viewers, e.g junior footy clubs, bussed from their club rooms, no cost $nil, complimentary food.

Completely agree with this TBH. Free tickets and bus rides. Get the benefit of less damage to the brand, as well as food money takings.

Despite the annoyance of Metricon being in the middle of nowhere and an absolute pain to get to, the benefit of that is that there is a massive set of footy grounds next to it for kids to play on in breaks and if they get bored. It's really wholesome at halftime strolling down to the practice grounds just outside the stadium and watching everyone having a kick before the main event comes back on.

The AFL just needs to get people in the door over the long term. People knock free tickets, but I really don't see the harm in them, especially with teams that are struggling to attract crowds (double especially in developing markets where you are trying to attract interest). Same argument for the NRL. They can possibly sort out terms with the food vendors so that it isn't a loss making activity anyway.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I don't think free tickets are the way to go, but I do think that apart from a gold class membership level on the camera/commentary side that all other memberships (11 game, 3 game whatever) and walk up tickets should be a cheaper price and you should be able to sit anywhere around the ground. Can also have a cheaper standing room ticket capped at 2000 people or so.
I would say a seated membership should be for an adult $20 a game (and walk ups should be the standard AFL prices ($25?))
Standing should equate to about $15 a game walk up.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Free tickets per se arent the way to go, they need to be targeted & not just we'll give them to this lot this week, the game needs to work to get the kids & their parents there, make it a junior club event*, meet at the junior club, bus to the event, free food & drink, players talking to the group, a kick on the ground after the match. Its hard work to make it happen, easy to just hand out free tickets.

We arent afraid to make Melbourne games events to get bums on seats, so why not the Gold Coast.

Anyone who has sponsored an AFL club is aware of the difficulty getting bums on seats, no shows, excuse, excuses ...

* Indigenous round, farmers day .....

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
What debasing and inerudite replys.
Obviously neither of you are well versed or more than likely still at school.

Some have difficulty in acknowledging there are codes that are not AFL footy, aka blinkers on.

E.g 130k+to Lang Park is a good result for Queensland/Brisbane League fans, not so good for one round IF compared to the AFL.
Posts are transparent sometimes.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
More bad news for Foxtel.Good luck to the A League and other minor sports if they think they will get and increase of Foxtel in the future Even the AFL NRL might be looking at a chop as well.

Foxtel signals price hike, cuts to 'non marquee' sports after $417m loss

By Colin Kruger, Jennifer Duke and Georgina Robinson
May 13, 2019 — 4.16pm
  • Foxtel has flagged a cut to its spending on "non-marquee sporting content" and another price rise for customers after its controlling shareholder News Corp revealed the pay TV provider made a financial loss of $417 million in 2018.
News Corp was forced to disclose the information to the ASX Monday morning as it had provided the information to potential lenders as it seeks refinancing for Foxtel debt totalling $US1.68 billion.

Erin Phillips of the Adelaide Crows and Brianna Davey of the Blues contest the ball during the AFLW Grand Final match. CREDIT:AAP
The document did not specify what non-marquee sports could be affected by the reduced spending. Foxtel was awarded a $30 million grant in 2017 by the Turnbull government with the aim of boosting women's, niche and emerging sports.
Last year, the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age revealed that 12 sporting codes benefited from the first instalment of the ad-hoc grant during the 2017-18 financial year: AFL, soccer, rugby union, rugby league, cycling, lawn bowls, surfing, Ironman, surf lifesaving, cricket, basketball and hockey.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
MCG predicting 57k to both the Coll / StK and Rich / Haw games.
I would be a bit disappointed with 57K for Hawthorn Richmond game even though Richmond Hawthorn games rarely pull massive crowds.

I would be a bit disappointed with 57K for Hawthorn Richmond game even though Richmond Hawthorn games rarely pull massive crowds.

Would be about the 5th highest between the two clubs, although the 4 bigger crowds are all from the past 6 years so the bar has been lifted recently.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
MCG predicting 57k to both the Coll / StK and Rich / Haw games.

I would hope for 60K+ especially with the tiges big win in Perth and its our home game but the hawks fans on social media have made their distaste for the 3.20pm start. I personally dont think its to bad but guess each to their own.
Last year we did get 71K and by memory it was Orthodox Easter but it was the early start 1.10pm

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
What debasing and inerudite replys.
Obviously neither of you are well versed or more than likely still at school.
Yeah, agreed. It wasn't pretty.
I was venting from other personal matters. I get tribal when I'm angry. I do apologise. Those type of responses from myself don't help the culture on the board.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I would hope for 60K+ especially with the tiges big win in Perth and its our home game but the hawks fans on social media have made their distaste for the 3.20pm start. I personally dont think its to bad but guess each to their own.
Last year we did get 71K and by memory it was Orthodox Easter but it was the early start 1.10pm
It feels like a low 60’s crowd to me, decent weather permitting. If it’s a Hawks member replacement game it may get a few more. Essendon only drew 63,500 to a similar timeslot 2 weeks ago against Geelong for what I’m sure would’ve been a circa 70,000 crowd on a Saturday / Friday night. 3:20pm Sunday is the 2nd worst timeslot for crowds (behind 4:40pm) and Thursday night I suppose. Not good for young families.

Incidentally I believe the 1:10pm Sunday slot is one of the best. Great for young families and crowds generally much better than the 3:20pm slot.

Incidentally, I’m resigned to a poor turnout at Marvel on Saturday night. I’d say it will be Essendon’s worst crowd since that 2016 saga year. Essendon people are filthy with what happened last Friday night. Effort and trust are non negotiable and Essendon have fallen short on both consistently. Season technically alive yes. But it means little in the broader sense with injuries compounding a bad week. Reality is that appears another year wasted. Every team suffers when things get tough in field. No fan base is immune. My gut feel is Essendon’s on field efforts have fallen below a key threshold of intolerance last Friday night and the crowd this week will confirm this. 26-27,000 my prediction which will be a strong message to the power brokers that the fan base is losing patience!

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Hawks can only get 14k to a home game, would be expecting 5k max to an away game. Prepare to do the heavy lifting Richmond!!

Having said that, they had a win on the weekend, so the bandwagon may have gotten a few of the holes patched up!

Yeah righto

I presume Hawthorn (thanks to their designated home game status) will remain the Cats largest gate for the season

Selling home games to an MCG tenant does bring into question the integrity of the competition but for 10 years ongoing dollars is dollars

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
It feels like a low 60’s crowd to me, decent weather permitting. If it’s a Hawks member replacement game it may get a few more. Essendon only drew 63,500 to a similar timeslot 2 weeks ago against Geelong for what I’m sure would’ve been a circa 70,000 crowd on a Saturday / Friday night. 3:20pm Sunday is the 2nd worst timeslot for crowds (behind 4:40pm) and Thursday night I suppose. Not good for young families.

Incidentally I believe the 1:10pm Sunday slot is one of the best. Great for young families and crowds generally much better than the 3:20pm slot.

Incidentally, I’m resigned to a poor turnout at Marvel on Saturday night. I’d say it will be Essendon’s worst crowd since that 2016 saga year. Essendon people are filthy with what happened last Friday night. Effort and trust are non negotiable and Essendon have fallen short on both consistently. Season technically alive yes. But it means little in the broader sense with injuries compounding a bad week. Reality is that appears another year wasted. Every team suffers when things get tough in field. No fan base is immune. My gut feel is Essendon’s on field efforts have fallen below a key threshold of intolerance last Friday night and the crowd this week will confirm this. 26-27,000 my prediction which will be a strong message to the power brokers that the fan base is losing patience!
You would have a better understanding on how the Bomber support base are feeling. But from an outsiders point of view the Essendon supporters time and time again show how resiliant they are and so I'm predicting 33 to 34,000 on Saturday night. Predicting 62,000 on Sunday with a massive Tigers turn out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back