2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Essendon Vs North Melbourne was to be played at the G next Saturday instead of Marvel it could have reached near on 70K will be lucky to get 45K.

Really?

North have only played in 11 home and away games over 60,000 (and only two over 70,000) in their history and haven’t drawn 60,000 plus since 2000...

They’ve only drawn 50,000 in two games since 2014 (50,657 v Hawthorn in 2016 and 50,343 v Collingwood in 2018)

The Swans by comparison have drawn 60,000 plus to 5 MCG home and away games since 2007

I think this board chronically underestimates Sydney drawing power in Melbourne.

We can talk about crowd splits but the only thing that is quantifiable are total attendances and their numbers stack up favourably against North, the Dogs and even the Saints (at the MCG)

Had they remained in Melbourne and not fallen on hard times in the ‘70s and ‘80s it would be interesting to see where they would rank amongst the Victorian clubs.

Historically South Melbourne was a pretty strong club in the first 30 years of the VFL, and occasionally topped the VFL for attendances.

Like Fitzroy they went into absolute free fall after the second world war though...

Last edited:

If Essendon Vs North Melbourne was to be played at the G next Saturday instead of Marvel it could have reached near on 70K will be lucky to get 45K.
It would’ve pushed the 68,000 it drew in 1999...

Essendon’s home crowd total for 2019 will look poor in absolute terms due to its 4 MCG home games being ANZAC Day (exception), Carlton (mockbuster), Brisbane and Sydney. All 4 games actually drew excellent crowds at the time. It’s played St Kilda, Bulldogs, Hawthorn and North at home at Marvel. The last two probably would’ve drawn between 65-70,000 at the G.

Last edited:
I am not sure what Crowd to expect on Sunday. Richmond highest crowd v GWS has been 35K and 33K. Both were wet games.

Crowd of around 10700 in hobart today,disappointing crowd for sure,the crowds in Hobart this year have really dropped for some reason.
I am with Wookie. It was bloody cold. You are right when you say it could have been a lot worse.

I had a look at the tickets right before the game and there wasn't seating much left. I guess a lot is withheld for members. Hobart's issue is that, unlike Launny, the amount of seating is limited. I wonder how much that is limiting people.

I thought a pass mark was 11-12K, and it wasn't that far from that. Once you hit that number in Hobart, it usually means that only GA tickets are pretty much left and that becomes a hard sell.

Really?

North have only played in 11 home and away games over 60,000 (and only two over 70,000) in their history and haven’t drawn 60,000 plus since 2000...

They’ve only drawn 50,000 in two games since 2014 (50,657 v Hawthorn in 2016 and 50,343 v Collingwood in 2018)

The Swans by comparison have drawn 60,000 plus to 5 MCG home and away games since 2007

I think this board chronically underestimates Sydney drawing power in Melbourne.

We can talk about crowd splits but the only thing that is quantifiable are total attendances and their numbers stack up favourably against North, the Dogs and even the Saints (at the MCG)

Had they remained in Melbourne and not fallen on hard times in the ‘70s and ‘80s it would be interesting to see where they would rank amongst the Victorian clubs.

Historically South Melbourne was a pretty strong club in the first 30 years of the VFL, and occasionally topped the VFL for attendances.

Like Fitzroy they went into absolute free fall after the second world war though...
Yeah, wasn't the Lake Oval a fairly good stadium back in the day around the 40-50's.

From what I understand about what happened to South/Fitzroy, when Melbourne expanded outwards, South and Fitzroy were stuck in the inner city, surrounded by all sides and unable to grow. Both of our football grounds had seen better days by the time the 70's rolled in. Fitzroy could have beaten us to Sydney in 1979, so we both were on the chopping block for a long time.

When there was that press conference a couple of weeks back about over officious security and media idiots like Tony Jones were questioning Gillion about the game being in massive trouble, he immediately observed about the record crowds and excellent ratings. As he should.

There are certainly things that could be better in the game but it can't be going too badly with an incredible round of attendances like this and an almost guaranteed record breaking overall yearly attendance.

Rnd 16
NRL Split Round 4 games only

Afl normal 9 games

NRL total 43,200
NRL average 10,800

AFL total 363,684
AFL average 40,409

5 individual AFL games attendance exceeded the total NRL attendance

The AFL average attendance came close to 4 times that of the NRL average.

However the same good be said of the lowest attended afl games.

The home game attendance at Gold Coast was higher than any NRL game of the round.

Rnd 16
NRL Split Round 4 games only

Afl normal 9 games

NRL total 43,200
NRL average 10,800

AFL total 363,684
AFL average 40,409

5 individual AFL games attendance exceeded the total NRL attendance

The AFL average attendance came close to 4 times that of the NRL average.

However the same good be said of the lowest attended afl games.

The home game attendance at Gold Coast was higher than any NRL game of the round.

Humiliating. Ouch.

A game in hobart, Metricon and giants stadium and the round still averages 40k

And the NRL gets barely over 40k for the round . Good lord that is ouchy

I am not sure what Crowd to expect on Sunday. Richmond highest crowd v GWS has been 35K and 33K. Both were wet games.
It should draw around 35-37,000. It’s the early Sunday game so it will be promoted as kids in free etc. Richmond back high in flag betting means Richmond people will be out in force.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

Perhaps.. North Melbourne people see Essendon as their biggest rival. It’s a genuine Elimination final and I think not far off a blockbuster with North winning today. Its got a bit of old fashioned grudge match feel about it. I think it would certainly draw in the low 60,000’s.

One things certain. It will sell out so you’d better get in quick if you’re going!

AFL total 363,684
AFL average 40,409

Thats huge for in the middle of a cold and in some places wet winter.
I think the fact that any team can win on the day is helping keep the interest up when quite often at this time of the season a couple of teams are dominating.

This round showed that the biggest factor in drawing crowds is the prospect of a good, close contest where both sets of supporters feel they are in with a chance of a win and/or a good performance from their team. Virtually every game promised this and in return, the crowds showed up.

It also showed that ladder positions do not necessarily hold sway in this regard. Good or bad recent form will go a long way to counteracting the overall season form. We have some particularly extreme examples of this at the moment. Essendon v North is 9th v 10th this week but will be a big crowd because both sets of supporters are newly enthused after recent results. On the flip side, Collingwood are sitting in 3rd and you couldn’t get lower morale amongst the supporters if you tried. Adelaide fans probably aren’t feeling much better. From a crowd point of view we’re lucky that we’re interstate this week and next because they’d probably be down on what you’d expect from our ladder position.

1:10pm Sunday timeslot is one of the best for crowds.
School holidays plus the prospect of a winnable game giving a nice boost to the Saturday and Sunday MCG games

Yeah, wasn't the Lake Oval a fairly good stadium back in the day around the 40-50's.

From what I understand about what happened to South/Fitzroy, when Melbourne expanded outwards, South and Fitzroy were stuck in the inner city, surrounded by all sides and unable to grow. Both of our football grounds had seen better days by the time the 70's rolled in. Fitzroy could have beaten us to Sydney in 1979, so we both were on the chopping block for a long time.

True.

South Melbourne went a long time between finals appearances (1945 to 1970).

In fact after 11 grand finals and regular finals appearances (in 49 seasons) the Swans went 51 years between finals wins.

That sort of dry spell is a real club killer.

That said given their Melbourne based crowds post 1996 and the position of the Lake Oval (after the Saints left the Junction) it does make you wonder...

If the Swans had even moderate success in the 60s and 70s would they still be in Victoria today?

And if they were in Victoria, where would they rank in popularity and off field clout amongst the Victorian clubs?

The Swans and Saints are probably the only traditional VFL clubs that had competition for support from the VFA (ie Port Melbourne). And when the Swans shifted north the VFA was at peak popularity...

Indeed, I think Blues fans are coming out in droves because after the tedium of the past couple of seasons their side is playing exciting football again.

This.

After 17 years of wilderness it’s fair to say the average Carlton supporter has a different concept or expectation of success then they did in 1997?

Same thing with Richmond pre 2017, now expectation is sky high (and for good reason too)

Expectation is all relative...

It would’ve pushed the 68,000 it drew in 1999...

Essendon’s home crowd total for 2019 will look poor in absolute terms due to its 4 MCG home games being ANZAC Day (exception), Carlton (mockbuster), Brisbane and Sydney. All 4 games actually drew excellent crowds at the time. It’s played St Kilda, Bulldogs, Hawthorn and North at home at Marvel. The last two probably would’ve drawn between 65-70,000 at the G.

I think that’s optimistic.

That 1999 game was 1st v 2nd and was billed as the grand final preview. An absolute classic when North and Essendon were at the peak of their powers. I remember that game well, I was there!

North are no longer the club they were in the 1990s. Attendances have declined which flies in the face of the North administration claiming they would benefit from a wave of generation x and y supporters jumping on during the ‘90s.

I think a crowd in the mid to late 50,000’s would be absolutely massive for any match featuring North.

A08422E2-09E8-4610-9118-4752AB2D4A7E.jpeg

Perhaps.. North Melbourne people see Essendon as their biggest rival. It’s a genuine Elimination final and I think not far off a blockbuster with North winning today. Its got a bit of old fashioned grudge match feel about it. I think it would certainly draw in the low 60,000’s.

One things certain. It will sell out so you’d better get in quick if you’re going!

I agree, I just think that anything beyond 60,000 would be very optimistic. It’s still a massive game and it will obviously pack Docklands...

I guess what I’m saying is that I believe Sydney is a larger draw in Melbourne then North

Last edited:
I am with Wookie. It was bloody cold. You are right when you say it could have been a lot worse.

I had a look at the tickets right before the game and there wasn't seating much left. I guess a lot is withheld for members. Hobart's issue is that, unlike Launny, the amount of seating is limited. I wonder how much that is limiting people.

I thought a pass mark was 11-12K, and it wasn't that far from that. Once you hit that number in Hobart, it usually means that only GA tickets are pretty much left and that becomes a hard sell.
So you are saying a lot of members are not attending,if that's the case then why be a member and it was against a big team in St Kilda too.

Actually today's not too bad compared what it can be,it's a winter sport,so that's no excuse,it may be the time it started that affected the numbers.

Probably a combination - now that the league puts itself out there as a more family friendly game, you are going to be real reluctant to take your kids out. It was also live broadcast in Tasmania (was the national broadcast game for Sunday).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back