2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCG predicted 40,000+ should be a possibility on Sunday for the Richmond v GWS game but the weather forecast for the weekend is not looking good so that could impact the crowd number.
This is one match that would have been better at Marvel in the middle of winter.

The MCG predicted 40,000+ should be a possibility on Sunday for the Richmond v GWS game but the weather forecast for the weekend is not looking good so that could impact the crowd number.
This is one match that would have been better at Marvel in the middle of winter.
Every home game we have ever had against GWS (expect the final) has always rained on the day.

Tiger Army is forming again.I reckon (weather permitting) this game will get nearly or touch 50,000!

Tiger Army is forming again.I reckon (weather permitting) this game will get nearly or touch 50,000!
Not to mention we haven't had a home game at the G since round 12.

I just had a look at general public tickets for the game at Docklands today. Only a smattering of single-seat $57-$66 tickets left. Why are they not selling General Admission again? Were they earlier this week?

The ground is a joke. There will be 10-15k empty seats (including in GA) but it's almost impossible to attend if you don't plan ahead. How many general public seats actually have gone on sale for this match? 2k? Does anyone know what the North Melbourne away game reserved seat allocation is?

Source: https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/ess...e-docklands-13-07-2019/event/25005624AFBD1631

I just had a look at general public tickets for the game at Docklands today. Only a smattering of single-seat $57-$66 tickets left. Why are they not selling General Admission again? Were they earlier this week?

The ground is a joke. There will be 10-15k empty seats (including in GA) but it's almost impossible to attend if you don't plan ahead. How many general public seats actually have gone on sale for this match? 2k? Does anyone know what the North Melbourne away game reserved seat allocation is?

Source: https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/ess...e-docklands-13-07-2019/event/25005624AFBD1631

When Essendon players were suspended in 2016, a few mates and myself decided to rock up to a dons/dogs game late on the day. The crowd was only like 25k but most tickets in GA and some orher areas were limited despite all the seats empty, so we just stood in standing mucking around.

It's always the way vs essendon due to thier membership. Go to Dogs vs Dees and there is plenty to grab haha.

It’s a mess. There will be around 10,000 empty reserved seats in the joint today and 44,000. This is simply not a big enough working capacity for a good going Essendon.

Two things need to happen for Essendon and Marvel Stadium to work moving forward:
1) Essendon need to come up with a member reserved seat resale system that works.
2) The venue as part of its upgrades needs another 5,000 seats. Essendon needs to find a way to get 50-55,000 minimum into its home games or it will have failed to deliver its promise to its supporters of not locking out its supporters at home games.

Max 45,000 doesn’t cut it. Sort it out Essendon!

It’s a mess. There will be around 10,000 empty reserved seats in the joint today and 44,000. This is simply not a big enough working capacity for a good going Essendon.

Two things need to happen for Essendon and Marvel Stadium to work moving forward:
1) Essendon need to come up with a member reserved seat resale system that works.
2) The venue as part of its upgrades needs another 5,000 seats. Essendon needs to find a way to get 50-55,000 minimum into its home games or it will have failed to deliver its promise to its supporters of not locking out its supporters at home games.

They could try doing what Carlton are doing with level 1 behind the goals and a few bays on the flanks being “members reserve”. Carlton appear to have oversold the allocation, similar to what Port Adelaide do with GA and it has become first come first served and subject to capacity. If you look at all Carlton home games at Marvel this year, behind the goals is always pretty packed now. It also helps that everyone who had just a general admission membership last season received a free upgrade to “members reserve”.

The_Wookie I am trying to get my head around Friday Night Football ratings.

I don't know if you remember, but I asked you about them a few years ago and you produced spreadsheets for 2013, 2014 and 2015, and IIRC you ranked them by rounds. I seem to recall those numbers being higher than what I have seen this year and last year, but I could be wrong. I admit I don't pay as much attention as when I asked and you produced the spreadsheets.

To get a 1 million viewership figure, is the rough rule of thumb the split as follows;
Free TV 600k - 700k
Foxtel.. 200k - 250k
Regional 200k - 300k

The empty seats will be reserve members who don't show up, but the fans being locked out are people who don't want to spend $50+ on a reserve ticket. That's why a reserve seat resale wouldn't work.

I just had a look at general public tickets for the game at Docklands today
Essendon sells a metric * ton of seats before the season starts. Only GA is behind the goals, probably ~5000 if that. Goes very quickly. Apart from Level 2, most other seats are pre-sold to members. Complain to the club. Supply v Demand (it's no different to Geelong games in Geelong)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The empty seats will be reserve members who don't show up, but the fans being locked out are people who don't want to spend $50+ on a reserve ticket. That's why a reserve seat resale wouldn't work.

Yep, I suspect the excess demand is insufficient. Basically trading off extra clean cash of a $50 ticket off a smaller number of people with, say,$30 that would need to sufficiently compensate the ticket holder to make them participate

I don't know if you remember, but I asked you about them a few years ago and you produced spreadsheets for 2013, 2014 and 2015, and IIRC you ranked them by rounds. I seem to recall those numbers being higher than what I have seen this year and last year, but I could be wrong. I admit I don't pay as much attention as when I asked and you produced the spreadsheets.

To get a 1 million viewership figure, is the rough rule of thumb the split as follows;
Free TV 600k - 700k
Foxtel.. 200k - 250k
Regional 200k - 300k

Pretty much.

For this year, 7 friday nights have reached 1m total - last night should make 8 - second highest rating fri n on fta this year

lowest FTA rating to get a total of 1,000,000 was 582,000.
two regionals have failed to reach 200,000
but all Foxtel games fall in the area, with one getting 311,000

Everyone wants to pay just GA$26 or so to watch footy... would kill for more GA at metricon to fill the $55-$65 seats you see empty on tv

Going up to GWS to watch Collingwood next week and I’m staggered at the cost of most seats there. It’s ridiculous for a club that’s trying to build a fan base.

Everyone wants to pay just GA$26 or so to watch footy... would kill for more GA at metricon to fill the $55-$65 seats you see empty on tv
Going up to GWS to watch Collingwood next week and I’m staggered at the cost of most seats there. It’s ridiculous for a club that’s trying to build a fan base.
Yeah, I too have been annoyed over the last several years at the cost (and lack of GA tickets) at both the Gold Coast and iants Stadiums. Given they are expansion markets, the high cost of going to GOld Cast and Giants home games must put a lot of off - unless, of course we choose to believe this rather too obvious rugby troll from last month -
... No clubs in any sport gives out more freebies than the Giants and the Suns ...
Well so far I've been unsuccesful (as in the past) in finding these semi-mythical 'free tickets for everyone'. The Giants game has always been pretty much the most expensive for me to attend.

Free TV 600k - 700k
Foxtel.. 200k - 250k
Regional 200k - 300k
Just did some diging from the numbers I've collected over the years relating to TV Viewership on Friday night. The_Wookie can correct me to any wrong numbers.

2012: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 419,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (13)
2012: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 262,000

2013: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 397,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (12)
2013: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 266,000

2014: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 358,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (5)
2014: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 256,000

2015: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 361,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (5)
2015: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 238,000

2016: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 367,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (9)
2016: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 289,000

2017: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 331,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (3)
2017: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 277,000

2018: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 290,000. 400k plus Melbourne FTA Audience (1)
2018: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 251,000

2019: FTA Melbourne Audience AVG: 331,000. 400k plus Melbourne Audience (1)
2019: Avg Fox Audience (Nationally) 236,000 (Prior numbers to WCE/Coll Match)

Body of numbers certianly shows a large drop in FTA numbers in the last 7 years which in fairness has been seen across the board in the TV landscape. Impact of Kayo and other streaming services would of also certainly had an effect in the last year or 2. It would very interesting to see what Kayo has done as the Fox numbers this year have been quite down.

Last edited:
Yeah, I too have been annoyed over the last several years at the cost (and lack of GA tickets) at both the Gold Coast and iants Stadiums. Given they are expansion markets, the high cost of going to GOld Cast and Giants home games must put a lot of off - unless, of course we choose to believe this rather too obvious rugby troll from last month - Well so far I've been unsuccesful (as in the past) in finding these semi-mythical 'free tickets for everyone'. The Giants game has always been pretty much the most expensive for me to attend.
Free tix for Giants games aren't that difficult to come across if your local. With Auskick you can get them as well as local servos.

Free tix for Giants games aren't that difficult to come across if your local. With Auskick you can get them as well as local servos.
Aarh - so they reap riches off visitors to pay for the locals. BTW, are those Free Auskick tickets just also include adults or is it free entry for kids with a paying adult (not that it would help me, just curious).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back