2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A quick look at the upcoming round and we have some underwhelming games at the home of football...
Melb v Rich (Saturday night 7:25pm)
Coll v Gold Coast (Sunday arvo 1:10 pm)

My predictions :
Melb v Rich - 50,000
Coll v Suns - 32,700

Thoughts?!

50K about right for Melb v Rich - would get more if it was a Richmond home game as most Dees fans have access anyway with their MCC membership. Will depend on how many Tigers fans without a H&A membership are willing to fork out for entry.

Maybe up to 35K for Pies v Suns

A quick look at the upcoming round and we have some underwhelming games at the home of football...
Melb v Rich (Saturday night 7:25pm)
Coll v Gold Coast (Sunday arvo 1:10 pm)

My predictions :
Melb v Rich - 50,000
Coll v Suns - 32,700

Thoughts?!

Don't see what's underwhelming about Collingwood's VFL side taking on the often VFL standard Gold Coast.

Has match of the year written all over it. :drunk:

If Carlton/Melbourne game can get 55,000, that should be the minimum benchmark for Melbourne/Richmond.
I don’t think so. That was a Carlton home game. If that Carlton game was a Melbourne home game it probably would’ve drawn in the mid - high 40’s.

Melbourne V Richmond should draw around 50,000. Probably would’ve drawn 55,000 if it were a Tigers home game. Saturday night also not ideal from a crowd drawing perspective (not a big factor but a factor nonetheless)...

I sound like a broken record but if GC can get their act together on field then they will fly past GWS
It was great being at Metricon last night... A terrific vibe about the place. Great demographic of young fans. A fun atmosphere. I hope some of their better players take on the responsibility to grow their club together. The Suns will get there eventually.

I sound like a broken record but if GC can get their act together on field then they will fly past GWS

Yes agree. The AFL know it too that’s why GWS were given so much more on set up to pretty much guarantee success.

Meanwhile the suns got demountable tin sheds to operate out of, an underfunded footy department And less draft/salary cap concessions.

There is a strong AFL community on the GC, I’ve no doubt when the suns start winning Metricon will be buzzing.

Pretty sure this reiterates that Sunday afternoon is a strong crowd drawing time slot for NSW and Qld’ers.

The NRL’s highest drawing crowd matches have been mid afternoon Sunday games for years.

I really don’t understand why the AFL doesn’t target the timeslot for Lions, Swans, Giants and Suns games as they did the 1.10pm slot during the 2002-06 broadcast agreement
Brisbane and Sydney, yes. Gold Coast seem to do best in the Saturday twilight timeslot for some reason.

MCC estimates:
Melbourne V Richmond ~ 43,000
Collingwood V Suns ~ 36,000

Maybe the Dees v Tigers game will draw a few more. Pies crowd appears around the mark.

36,000 is an excellent crowd for a Sunday game against the Suns, especially given the Magpies wavering form
Yes agree. Although I have always said the 1:10pm Sunday slot is a great crowd drawing slot. It’s promoted as ‘kids in free’ and being early draws young families.

I’d say if it were 3:20pm you could lop up to 4-5,000 off that 36,000 figure.

What will Essendon V Port draw?

Port on a 2 game losing streak has taken a fair amount off the match up it feels. Doesn’t have a blockbuster feel anymore.

Essendon going well will ensure it still draws a decent crowd.

It’s last two encounters have drawn 34k and 31.5k on Saturday night. This is in a better slot Saturday afternoon. I will go between 35-36,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port on a 2 game losing streak has taken a fair amount off the match up it feels. Doesn’t have a blockbuster feel anymore.

It’s last two encounters have drawn 34k and 31.5k on Saturday night. This is in a better slot Saturday afternoon. I will go between 35-36,000.
I think it’ll push 40K if it’s sunny.

Saturday arvo. Traditional timeslot. 5 game winning streak. Finals a reality.

I’m hoping with our strong bomber supporter base, we can nullify their poor form and get this between 38-40,000 k!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Port basically never draw 40k at the MCG, let alone at Docklands, but i think this will go close. I wouldn’t be surprised to see very low 40s. Essendon seem to draw better on Saturday/early Sunday arvo than corresponding games on Saturday night.

I know Port basically never draw 40k at the MCG, let alone at Docklands, but i think this will go close. I wouldn’t be surprised to see very low 40s. Essendon seem to draw better on Saturday/early Sunday arvo than corresponding games on Saturday night.
If it pulls 40,000 it would be extraordinary. Feels a stretch to me.

Is it just me or does it still fly under the radar that West Coast get 50k + to every home game whether it be the Suns or the Pies. They are seriously a monster of a club.
Certainly are. I agree with you. I believe the Eagles support in WA is stronger than any other clubs support in their home state. However I believe there are other clubs with larger overall support (overall national support).

Is it just me or does it still fly under the radar that West Coast get 50k + to every home game whether it be the Suns or the Pies. They are seriously a monster of a club.
Yes - Victorians underestimate how much larger crowds WC, Freo, Adelaide and PA pull compared with the median Melbourne club. I’m assuming, in part, it’s because there’s greater ease of access due to smaller populations. You just have to see the large improvements in crowds with the move from a Footy Park to Adelaide Oval.

West Coast pull 55k each week. Adelaide have rarely dropped below 45k at the Adelaide Oval. Since 2000, no Victorian club has averaged even 40k against interstate clubs. Most Melbourne clubs average in the 20s. It’s a massive differential.

Is there a logic to when the AFL schedules particular clubs to play their home games? Do clubs petition for games at particular timeslots? Is there a quota of different timeslots each club has to fill or something? It feels like it would be more convenient for fans if they knew that their team always has a home game at a regular time on a regular day.

I'm sure some timeslots are more in demand than others (such as Friday nights obviously) but even this will differ by location. For example, Brisbane and Sydney seem to pull bigger crowds on a Sunday afternoon, but Gold Coast seems to do better with Saturday twilight, and I'm sure some Victorian clubs prefer Saturday afternoon.

Yes - Victorians underestimate how much larger crowds WC, Freo, Adelaide and PA pull compared with the median Melbourne club. I’m assuming, in part, it’s because there’s greater ease of access due to smaller populations. You just have to see the large improvements in crowds with the move from a Footy Park to Adelaide Oval.

West Coast pull 55k each week. Adelaide have rarely dropped below 45k at the Adelaide Oval. Since 2000, no Victorian club has averaged even 40k against interstate clubs. Most Melbourne clubs average in the 20s. It’s a massive differential.

Agree to some degree

What we are seeing with Port Adelaide attendances at Adelaide Oval is a return to the normal mid 20,000’s to low 30,000’s they enjoyed during their 2000-2008 run at Football Park.

Still strong attendances but as a middle of the road club (ie competing for the finals but not really challenging for the flag) their attendances have lost the glow of 2014 - 2017 when the stadium was relatively new

Likewise it will be interesting to see if a similar drop occurs with Fremantle in 3-4 years after the stadium switch.

Fremantle enjoyed a slightly higher base then Port Adelaide pre move...

Adelaide and West Coast are different beats altogether, it could probably be argued that the demand already outweighs supply even with the capacity and facility upgrades.

With the Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium and perhaps even the SCG (?) and the MCG (post 2006) what is evident is that an upgraded stadium generates an upswing in like for like attendances which gradually recedes over a 4-5 year period.

If and when the AFL get around to upgrading Docklands and the MCG Southern Stand it will be interesting to see if attendances in Victoria as members and supporters of the 10 Victorian clubs enjoy the new facilities

Last edited:
North are supposedly celebrating their 150 year anniversary on Friday Night.

Bizarrely under hyped compared to the Melbourne, Geelong and Carlton equivalent games.

I was at their 125th 'celebration'. It consisted of the numbers 125 in three foot high figures with some sparklers around them. Good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back