2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does it still fly under the radar that West Coast get 50k + to every home game whether it be the Suns or the Pies. They are seriously a monster of a club.
I dont think it is comprehended that West Coast membership as in membership that gets you seats in the stadium is completly sold out and the wait list for membership with season tickets to home games is over 10,000 people with over five years of waiting on a list at least probably closer to ten years waiting just to get into a game as a member.

I dont think it is comprehended that West Coast membership as in membership that gets you seats in the stadium is completly sold out and the wait list for membership with season tickets to home games is over 10,000 people with over five years of waiting on a list at least probably closer to ten years waiting just to get into a game as a member.
Still baffles me as to how the stadium holds only 60,000 rather than 70k. Should’ve built it a bit larger.

Victorians underestimate how much larger crowds WC, Freo, Adelaide and PA pull compared with the median Melbourne club.
This is not surprising as there is only 1 game of top level footy per weekend in Adelaide and Perth. So all neutral fans and the whole local footy public focuses on that 1 game. In Victoria there is normally the choice of 3-4 AFL games played over any given weekend.

This is not surprising as there is only 1 game of top level footy per weekend in Adelaide and Perth. So all neutral fans and the whole local footy public focuses on that 1 game. In Victoria there is normally the choice of 3-4 AFL games played over any given weekend.
There isnt actually a lot of capacity for neutrals. Eagles members have the bulk of the seats. Most Eagles games you cannot just walk up and get a ticket unlike most Victorian games.

Yes - Victorians underestimate how much larger crowds WC, Freo, Adelaide and PA pull compared with the median Melbourne club.
First 3 yes.

Power, nah.

Very true. West Coast \ Adelaide are basically state teams. The crowds that the bigger Vic clubs pull in such a competitive market are far more impressive.

Saturday night has the least appeal to me out of any Richmond game in years.
Haven’t missed a Melbourne game since 2012 and my level of desire to go to this one is about 0.
No idea why.
Would not be surprised if it doesn’t hit 40k.
Snow season In full swing and blockbusters the following 3 weeks offers the tigers plenty of choice

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saturday night has the least appeal to me out of any Richmond game in years.
Haven’t missed a Melbourne game since 2012 and my level of desire to go to this one is about 0.
No idea why.
Would not be surprised if it doesn’t hit 40k.
Snow season In full swing and blockbusters the following 3 weeks offers the tigers plenty of choice

It will draw over 40,000. Richmond v Melbourne has always drawn well... Even in down times.

Still baffles me as to how the stadium holds only 60,000 rather than 70k. Should’ve built it a bit larger.
Cost is why. Whilst stadium had designs for 80k, the cost for the additional 10 or 20k wasn't deemed worth it. Eagles, major events and Freo host derby (maybe even finals again one day) are the only times you'd get over 60k anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see how TV audiences hold up with the ashes in competition. Can't see tomorrow nights game getting any big numbers.
The Ashes were easily the No 1 rating show in Melbourne last night so you'd think it would have a pretty decent impact in Vic, especially as the Fri/Sat FTA matches aren't that exciting.

Yeah I think that was a spot on crowd. Both teams are not big drawing to be honest and not vying for a finals spot.

Not sure about that at all to be honest (there are countless examples of large drawing Hawthorn games, but I suggest this is probably a troll so it’s by the by)

Game drew 5,000 more than I expected and by and large late season North Melbourne v Hawthorn games at Docklands typically drew 28,000 to 30,000 a decade ago

Not sure if it was the Friday Night factor or the 150 year anniversary but it is North’s 2nd largest drawing home game this year

Not sure about that at all to be honest (there are countless examples of large drawing Hawthorn games, but I suggest this is probably a troll so it’s by the by)

View attachment 719707

Game drew 5,000 more than I expected and by and large late season North Melbourne v Hawthorn games at Docklands typically drew 28,000 to 30,000 a decade ago

Not sure if it was the Friday Night factor or the 150 year anniversary but it is North’s 2nd largest drawing home game this year
I think the fact it was Norths 150th celebration match, and heavily promoted within their clubs fanbase, was probably the reason for the slightly larger than expected turnout. I think that’s how it’s best explained. Otherwise it probably would’ve drawn around that 30K Mark.

Official crowd: 33,226 at Marvel Stadium Pretty good for these two at Marvel.
120,000 members between the 2 of them, North celebrating 150 years, new coach officially appointed, Burgoyne celebrating a significant milestone, Hawks still playing for a finals spot, Friday night, under the roof so natural elements eliminated - and 33k is a pretty good crowd between 2 supporter groups who can drive or catch public transport to the ground? Really?

What conditions do you need to get 45k-50k there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back