2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've ALWAYS said on here that if we started winning again that the Gabba wouldn't be big enough AND that the poor crowds of the past decade had very little to do with the suns inclusion.

Well here is the proof I was 100% correct all along. There are literally three tickets left for our game v Geelong NEXT Saturday

Screenshot_20190808-092422.jpg Screenshot_20190808-092424.jpg

I've ALWAYS said on here that if we started winning again that the Gabba wouldn't be big enough AND that the poor crowds of the past decade had very little to do with the suns inclusion.

Well here is the proof I was 100% correct all along. There are literally three tickets left for our game v Geelong NEXT Saturday

View attachment 722490View attachment 722491
If you have a period of sustained success, is there anyway to make the capacity at the Gabba any bigger?

If you have a period of sustained success, is there anyway to make the capacity at the Gabba any bigger?
By getting rid of the verandah and selling seats behind the bench.

In terms of real expansion adding another tier in the western end may be doable as the Eastern end has a school and the North and South ends have a main road

So what will the sellout crowd be 28,000?
It was 34017 for Easter Thursday against Collingwood (which effectively is our derby considering that the majority if Lions fans consider them to be our arch rival and the Pies have the biggest supporter base in South-East Queensland apart from us. They honestly have more fans than the Suns on the GC alone.

Selling out against Geelong is way more impressive. The Crowd figure was roughly 15000 Lions fans, 10000 Collingwood fans, 1000 neutrals and 8000 Lions bandwagoners on Easter Thursday. Next Saturday might see a crowd of 35000 with 15000 Lions fans, 5000 Geelong fans, 1000 neutrals and 14000 Lions bandwagoners.

It's worth noting there's a chunk of the Gabba that is BCC or QCC members only. Apparently the current capacity is nearly 37000

"It's worth noting there's a chunk of the Gabba that is BCC or QCC members only. Apparently the current capacity is nearly 37000"
Do they get counted like the MCC and AFL members do at the MCG?

1 sell-out doesn't mean you need to expand the Gabba. A full stadium is so much better than an empty one.

Personally, Can't see the Gabba or any oval in Queensland getting expanded for another 20 years....when they bid to host the Olympics.
I personally wish we had've done it while we were shite. It's not just matches v Collingwood, home finals and top of the table clashes, it's also Ashes, ODI's and even the Big Bash that could benefit from an expanded Gabba.

FWIW I wouldn't be surprised if there is a waiting list on season memberships next year. I assume we probably can sell 25000-26000 season memberships max

I personally wish we had've done it while we were s**t. It's not just matches v Collingwood, home finals and top of the table clashes, it's also Ashes, ODI's and even the Big Bash that could benefit from an expanded Gabba.

FWIW I wouldn't be surprised if there is a waiting list on season memberships next year. I assume we probably can sell 25000-26000 season memberships max

Only major cricket ground not to get a major upgrade (capacity and technology) since the mid 2000’s

In order for an upgrade to stack up, like Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth Brisbane needs a strong AFL to drive the economics of the upgrade

When the Courier Mail lobbied for the GABBA upgrade a few years ago (around the time the GABBA was snubbed for the Indian test) Im suprised they didn’t draw that link. That was back page news, where as the Lions coverage is always 4-5 pages in...

Only major cricket ground not to get a major upgrade (capacity and technology) since the mid 2000’s

In order for an upgrade to stack up, like Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth Brisbane needs a strong AFL to drive the economics of the upgrade

When the Courier Mail lobbied for the GABBA upgrade a few years ago (around the time the GABBA was snubbed for the Indian test) Im suprised they didn’t draw that link. That was back page news, where as the Lions coverage is always 4-5 pages in...

To be fair though, the Gabbas upgrades werent finished until 2005, not long before the MCG was done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bombers v Bulldogs tomorrow night is looking like a 44,700 crowd. Thoughts?!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would hope for more bit because Dons home and its a replacement Ballarat game for us. Both in finals mix (technically)

While previous games are from a post flag dogs home games, the recent tallys are pretty strong.

2018 40,499
2017 48,754

Imo when Dons home should start to be at the G between other melb clubs

I would hope for more bit because Dons home and its a replacement Ballarat game for us. Both in finals mix (technically)

While previous games are from a post flag dogs home games, the recent tallys are pretty strong.

2018 40,499
2017 48,754

All depends on the weather and it’s impact on the member seat holder turnout. Ticket sales in line with the kangaroos game 4 weeks ago which drew 45,657. It will sell out.

However it’s hard to know. Last weeks match v Port was standing room only and ‘only’ 43,000. My theory is more Medallion club seats are utilised when two Victorian clubs are playing. Therefore a crowd between 43-44,000 given poor weather is reasonable.

2018 40,499
2017 48,754

It’s an Essendon home game so that caps things to 44-45k as opposed to about 48k for a Dogs home game. At least based upon the almost sold out games against Port Adelaide, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and St Kilda where there was, at most, single seats left. The game is once again almost sold out so it comes down to members. The weather is poor so I’ll say around 43k. It’s interesting that this is a Dogs replacement game. GA is the only area of the ground for these close to sellouts which are basically full.

Was pretty similar to most Canberra crowds, mostly locals some of whom were supporting the visitors, a lot of neutrals, good but not overwhelming support for the Giants.

I reckon a third of us were there for the prospect of snow, judging by the crowd reaction when it started.

I must admit I was surprised by the size of the crowd (expected about 6000) and even with blizzard like conditions the match got more than either of the two RL games played yesterday!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back