2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Largest West Coast crowds in Victoria, for home and away games, against Melbourne teams...

Collingwood - 62,957 (2012)
Essendon - 55,096 (1996)
Hawthorn - 50,023 (2012)
Richmond - 45,178 (2015)
St Kilda - 40,177 (2006)
Carlton - 39,611 (2009)
Melbourne - 35,653 (2005)
North Melbourne - 33,181 (2005)
Western Bulldogs - 30,900 (2007)

If you look at peak attendances West Coast is easily the 3rd (and perhaps the 2nd) highest drawing non Victorian team in Melbourne behind Sydney and perhaps Brisbane.

Certainly their Melbourne based attendances, it could be argued, are stronger then Adelaide (Rich v Adelaide drew 54,983 last year) despite the perception that SA teams are great travellers.

What I am interested in is which game out of Richmond v West Coast and Richmond v Brisbane draws the larger crowd
I believe Richmond V Brisbane. It’s Richmonds last home game. It’s probably close but I feel the Lions have more Vic support (Fitzroy). Essendon drew 48,000 in round 4 and it was a run of the mill round 4 game. I feel that the Lions can draw 60,000 in Victoria under the right circumstances. Collingwood has done it. Essendon has drawn 50,000 in sellouts to Marvel. They draw well when at their peak powers.

Richmond v West Coast - 55,000
Richmond v Brisbane - 60,000

Think they are the same person.

It’s not hard to see them arguing with each other in the manner of Gollum and Smeagol in Lord of the Rings. (As a Richmond supporter Blaisee is the evil one, obviously ;))

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I believe Richmond V Brisbane. It’s Richmonds last home game. It’s probably close but I feel the Lions have more Vic support (Fitzroy). Essendon drew 48,000 in round 4 and it was a run of the mill round 4 game. I feel that the Lions can draw 60,000 in Victoria under the right circumstances. Collingwood has done it. Essendon has drawn 50,000 in sellouts to Marvel. They draw well when at their peak powers.

Richmond v West Coast - 55,000
Richmond v Brisbane - 60,000

Only need 40 - 50k of the Tiges members, AFL & Cricket Club should be cream, hell there are 100k + members of the footy club, potential for a home final.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Largest West Coast crowds in Victoria, for home and away games, against Melbourne teams...

Collingwood - 62,957 (2012)
Essendon - 55,096 (1996)
Hawthorn - 50,023 (2012)
Richmond - 45,178 (2015)
St Kilda - 40,177 (2006)
Carlton - 39,611 (2009)
Melbourne - 35,653 (2005)
North Melbourne - 33,181 (2005)
Western Bulldogs - 30,900 (2007)

If you look at peak attendances West Coast is easily the 3rd (and perhaps the 2nd) highest drawing non Victorian team in Melbourne behind Sydney and perhaps Brisbane.

Certainly their Melbourne based attendances, it could be argued, are stronger then Adelaide (Rich v Adelaide drew 54,983 last year) despite the perception that SA teams are great travellers.

What I am interested in is which game out of Richmond v West Coast and Richmond v Brisbane draws the larger crowd
Was surprised at the size of their crowd against us earlier this year, they would have brought 10-12k

With good weather it should get to 60k

We get more than 3000 more to a Sunday twilight game against Footscray than a Saturday game against the Suns.

More proof there is no Lions Suns rivalry

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
I hope the poor weather forecast for Sunday doesn't eventuate. While the Tigers seem to go into beast mode in the wet I think our supporters are getting sick of all these rain affected games. The game on Sunday deserves a monster crowd and great weather. The 1.10 timeslot should be ok for travelling Eagles fans planning a weekend in Melbourne.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope the poor weather forecast for Sunday doesn't eventuate. While the Tigers seem to go into beast mode in the wet I think our supporters are getting sick of all these rain affected games. The game on Sunday deserves a monster crowd and great weather. The 1.10 timeslot should be ok for travelling Eagles fans planning a weekend in Melbourne.

Richmond have been up for a long time now, plenty of blockbuster games, finals matches etc

In that sense it’s not surprising that their membership has become more choosey with their attendance...

With poor weather a possibility, perhaps some fans might go to the round 23 game against Brisbane instead (which could be a dress rehearsal for week 1 of the finals)

Similar in some degree to round 22 / week 1 of the 2001 finals series (Ess v Rich)

Perfectly natural if that’s the case...

That said I would be very surprised if Sunday didn’t clear 50,000.

Just on the precedence of West coast blockbuster matches v Collingwood, Essendon Hawthorn and even Richmond, who drew 45,000 to a Richmond v West Coast match in 2015, two years before your attendances and membership boomed.

The MCC attendance estimates were smashed last week so perhaps this is a square up

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond have been up for a long time now, plenty of blockbuster games, finals matches etc

In that sense it’s not surprising that their membership has become more choosey with their attendance...

With poor weather a possibility, perhaps some fans might go to the round 23 game against Brisbane instead (which could be a dress rehearsal for week 1 of the finals)

Similar in some degree to round 22 / week 1 of the 2001 finals series (Ess v Rich)

Perfectly natural if that’s the case...

That said I would be very surprised if Sunday didn’t clear 50,000.

Just on the precedence of West coast blockbuster matches v Collingwood, Essendon Hawthorn and even Richmond, who drew 45,000 to a Richmond v West Coast match in 2015, two years before your attendances and membership boomed.

The MCC attendance estimates were smashed last week so perhaps this is a square up

Worst case scenario with the weather it should just nudge 50K. That game we drew 45K was a freezing cold mid season Friday night so the potential is there draw a bigger crowd.

Just on this...

The round 22 game that season drew 77,028 and the Qualifying Final ‘just’ 78,253

Seems bizarre that what was essentially a dead rubber drew almost the same crowd as a final

From memory that was only a dead rubber for Essendon who had top spot wrapped up. We had to win to secure 4th place.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
From memory that was only a dead rubber for Essendon who had top spot wrapped up. We had to win to secure 4th place.
Yes Richmond had to win. There were rumours that Essendon were happy to lose to avoid Carlton

Melbourne-Sydney: 25k
Carlton-St Kilda: 41k
Richmond-West Coast: 48k

MCG obviously expecting a smallish Melbourne turn-up. Carlton and St Kilda would be a solid crowd for two teams out of contention. Richmond and West Coast should surely clear 50k comfortably.

For the first time in months I think that the chance of beating last year's total attendance record is less than 50-50.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the MCC estimators have had a poor month or so with their predictions and I think their estimate of Sunday’s game is well unders. Surely it draws 50,000+.

I think the MCC estimators have had a poor month or so with their predictions and I think their estimate of Sunday’s game is well unders. Surely it draws 50,000+.
They've lost all confidence in their predictions its just guesses now

They clearly haven't accounted for the bad weather in recent weeks - although some games like Melb/Coll would have been well below rain affected predictions anyway.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Numbers don’t lie until they are physically beaten.
Since 2013 we have been a fairly good side. 6/7 finals appearances.

2018 Adelaide and 2017 Sydney are the only interstate home and away attendances I remember being over 50k?

That 2015 Friday night was hyped as a blockbuster after winning the 3 previous and it only drew 45k.

Anything over 50 is a huge result for Richmond, 60k people need to get their head out fo the sand and live in the real world

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
As iI have said before get used to some ordinary crowds when the weather is bad.

Its the live against the gate stupid!The NFL in the US dont allow live against the gate in the city the match is being played for good reason.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
They clearly haven't accounted for the bad weather in recent weeks - although some games like Melb/Coll would have been well below rain affected predictions anyway.

View attachment 725286

They've been phoning it in on their match info pages this year. Some of the info has been very sloppy with typos in the GA bay allocations and random weather forecast info. They even had the Collingwood cheersquad sitting in for Carlton yesterday in the cheersquad location :drunk:

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The afl need to reduce the games in Melbourne between mid July and mid August. Qld and Wa are advantaged with perfect conditions nearly every week of the season and perfect for big crowds. Sydney weather is pretty good too. They need to play 3-4 home games for the 6 teams from these states. Even 3-4 Adelaide home games should happen. Reduce Melbourne games by at least 30% in this period. Cut out Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday twilight in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back