2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The afl need to reduce the games in Melbourne between mid July and mid August. Qld and Wa are advantaged with perfect conditions nearly every week of the season and perfect for big crowds. Sydney weather is pretty good too. They need to play 3-4 home games for the 6 teams from these states. Even 3-4 Adelaide home games should happen. Reduce Melbourne games by at least 30% in this period. Cut out Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday twilight in Melbourne
Half their justification for new teams is "a game every week in [insert state here]!" as though many people attend home games of both teams. So I'm not sure they'd do it even if it's a good idea.

Last round saw Brisbane, Carlton, Bulldogs, and North Melbourne surpass their season tallies for the whole of last year with 2 rounds left to play.

At this stage half the teams are likely to end up increasing crowds and half decreasing:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just based on anecdotal experience I think the warmer temperature negates the rain. People don't seem to mind it as much with a more comfortable temperature. One example when we drew 85K Anzac eve against Melbourne in 2017 it was balmy and wet pre game.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Crowds are less impacted by rain earlier in the year regardless of form than in the middle of winter.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
For the first time in months I think that the chance of beating last year's total attendance record is less than 50-50.
It has narrowed significantly but should still finish above last year's total. The increased crowds to farewell Sandilands and especially Roughead will help matters.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Richmond have been up for a long time now, plenty of blockbuster games, finals matches etc

In that sense itā€™s not surprising that their membership has become more choosey with their attendance...

With poor weather a possibility, perhaps some fans might go to the round 23 game against Brisbane instead (which could be a dress rehearsal for week 1 of the finals)

The MCC attendance estimates were smashed last week so perhaps this is a square up

Settle down champ

And I know you are a man of numbers

Melbourne v Richmond rnd 20 crowd 37,254
Melbourne v coll rnd 21 crowd 31,903

Weather was terrible for both games , both Melbourne games , both Saturday games

Extremely unfair and even dishonest to state that Richmond members are choosy in attendance

Especially relatively speaking to every other club in the league, and in the given example compared to the pies, the second biggest club in the country and the only true rival to Richmond in drawing crowds

We outperform everyone

I thought it was a reasonable comment. What do you think it will draw? Big Vic club against the Eagles in a top of the table clash should draw upwards of 60,000. It will draw a sizeable neutral rollup. The AFL and MCC members areas will be reasonably well attended.

We should avoid crowd split discussions on principle

It's pure guesswork and descends into fanbois trolling every time

As iI have said before get used to some ordinary crowds when the weather is bad.

Its the live against the gate stupid!The NFL in the US dont allow live against the gate in the city the match is being played for good reason.

And the big screen effect

Home with a 65 inch 4k tv and ducted heating is bloody tempting compared to a 20 inch cathode ray tube box and a shitty wall heater

The afl need to reduce the games in Melbourne between mid July and mid August. Qld and Wa are advantaged with perfect conditions nearly every week of the season and perfect for big crowds. Sydney weather is pretty good too. They need to play 3-4 home games for the 6 teams from these states. Even 3-4 Adelaide home games should happen. Reduce Melbourne games by at least 30% in this period. Cut out Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday twilight in Melbourne

Does this mean you are in favour of Kwality proposal of all Vic clubs being forced to play X number of home games interstate?

Does this mean you are in favour of Kwality proposal of all Vic clubs being forced to play X number of home games interstate?
Realistically 6 would make sense. Play one in each of WA, SA, NSW and Qld and a second one say in WA and SA in the odd years and NSW and Qld in the even years. Each club has their set combo. That brings us some sort of balance in the fixture over 4 or 8 or 10 years. Not some Vic sides only play 4 a year, and some play 6 or 7 and/or North and Hawks in Tassie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Realistically 6 would make sense. Play one in each of WA, SA, NSW and Qld and a second one say in WA and SA in the odd years and NSW and Qld in the even years. That brings us some sort of balance in the fixture over 4 or 8 or 10 years. Not some Vic sides only play 4 a year, and some play 6 or 7 and/or North and Hawks in Tassie.

:thumbsu:
It needs to take to account games played to pump up club finances in NT & Q, even Canberra. Double headers for members at the G & Docklands can ensure the 11 home games are maintained (the Hawks/North scenario to cover Tas games).

Realistically 6 would make sense. Play one in each of WA, SA, NSW and Qld and a second one say in WA and SA in the odd years and NSW and Qld in the even years. Each club has their set combo. That brings us some sort of balance in the fixture over 4 or 8 or 10 years. Not some Vic sides only play 4 a year, and some play 6 or 7 and/or North and Hawks in Tassie.

The kwality proposal is actually for home games, so all clubs play an equal number of games at their home venue (ie Richmond play port at AO, giving port an additional AO game and eliminating a MCG game).

On your comment, I don't disagree that all Vic clubs should play an equal number of AWAY games outside vic. If clubs play home games interstate , they already get paid so this should not count

:thumbsu:
It needs to take to account games played to pump up club finances in NT & Q, even Canberra. Double headers for members at the G & Docklands can ensure the 11 home games are maintained (the Hawks/North scenario to cover Tas games).

Jfyi you need to remember away games at Etihad or the mcg don't guarantee access. Play Essendon at Etihad or the pies at the g, and there is not a lot of GA available.

Mcg tenant clubs are already unhappy that some reserved seat members lose their seats for home games against Collingwood, as the mcg guarantees them the ponsford stand arrangements for home and away (only tenant club with that).

If you count away games as a part of your "home" allocation, it will mean zero against these clubs

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong

Home with a 65 inch 4k tv and ducted heating is bloody tempting compared to a 20 inch cathode ray tube box and a s**tty wall heater
Or try a HD 75in or even a 105in HD TV way better than freezing at the ground and think of the money saved?

Its no wonder tens of thousands decided to stay home last weekend in the warmth with a few beers and a pizza.

Thats the reality of live against the gate and it aint ever going to change in bad weather.

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Settle down champ

Weather was terrible for both games , both Melbourne games , both Saturday games

Extremely unfair and even dishonest to state that Richmond members are choosy in attendance

Especially relatively speaking to every other club in the league, and in the given example compared to the pies, the second biggest club in the country and the only true rival to Richmond in drawing crowds

We outperform everyone
Actually, as a 3-game member myself, I am being very choosy. The more 3-game members a club has, the choosier the supporters are, by definition.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Settle down champ

We outperform everyone

Richmond fans are picky.
Victorian fans are picky.
You canā€™t get 80k there one week and then 30k the next..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Home with a 65 inch 4k tv and ducted heating is bloody tempting compared to a 20 inch cathode ray tube box and a s**tty wall heater

No way.
No TV no matter how fancy and a heater can match the roar of the Army, the passion pouring out and the goosebumps after a ripper win.
Give me 4c at the G anyday

No way.
No TV no matter how fancy and a heater can match the roar of the Army, the passion pouring out and the goosebumps after a ripper win.
Give me 4c at the G anyday

Try it with kids, arthritis, or the minister for war and finance

EyeloveRichmond

Team Captain
Mar 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Looks like the weather yet again will hurt our game on Sunday. Alot of rain predicted, 95% chance with 6-10mm forecast. Even if it's not raining before the game, the forecast will keep alot away, especially mums & kids and the 50/50, non-hardcore supporters which is a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back