2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans crowd will be interesting this weekend. With Buddy 300th and a couple of prominent retirements I think it could nudge 35k or more despite their ladder position.

Collingwood have top 4 to play for so I’m confident the magpie army will he out in full force!! Would expect 50,000 of our own supporters to show up! If it was pendles 300th game 90,000 would be in attendance with Atleast 60,000 Collingwood fans
You still making crowd predictions?

Last time you did that you said 50,000 would rock up for Collingwood v Melbourne (because Melbourne v Richmond 'only' drew 37,000). And the crowd was 31,900.

Richmond v Brisbane is now expecting 69,500 (according to MCG estimate).
Woweeee!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that settles the Brisbane v West Coast drawing power debate I was talking about last week...

Good chance to top the Hawthorn v Sydney game from 2014 (72,764) and become the largest Victorian attendance against a non Victorian club ever :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Lot's of pre-sold general admission which is usually a very good sign
Reminds me of Richmond v St.Kilda final round two seasons ago.
We got 69K to that, obviously there was a few more saints fans there to send of Nick.
It will be interesting to try and measure how many Brisbane supporters are there. Perhaps 15-20K?

We got 69K to that, obviously there was a few more saints fans there to send of Nick.
It will be interesting to try and measure how many Brisbane supporters are there. Perhaps 15-20K?

I know crowd splits are banned in this thread but peak Sydney used to draw that to Collingwood and Hawthorn marquee games.

Hard to get a measure on Brisbane Lions Victorian support as they've been rubbish for so long, apart from an MCG sell out in 2003 there really is no precedent for a monster MCG crowd featuring the Lions ever (unlike the Swans)

Apart from an Essendon MCG game earlier this season (48,259 which drew 12,000 'under' the Essendon v Swans game) there has been no sizeable bump in Brisbane's Melbourne based crowds this year at all (they drew 23,100, 32,211 and 22,885 against North Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda)

Well that settles the Brisbane v West Coast drawing power debate I was talking about last week...

Good chance to top the Hawthorn v Sydney game from 2014 (72,760) and become the largest Victorian attendance against a non Victorian club ever :thumbsu:
Yes agree with that. Its become an enormous fixture in the context of the premiership race and deserves a massive crowd.

Still don't think it'll be that high. Perhaps 65K.
I think it depends on the weather... It will have strong pre sales. Also, given it’s setting up as a potential GF dress rehearsal i don’t think many will be deterred by possible showers on the day. Having said that, to draw 70,000 it needs all possible engines firing... It already basically does!

I think it will only draw 10,000 Brisbane supporters (maybe up to 12,000). It’s clearly a really strong neutral roll up that will give it the leg up from 60,000 to 70,000 ish. It’s become much bigger than a good contest between Richmond V Brisbane now.. As that Hawthorn V Sydney match referenced by Hawkk just above..

I think it will only draw 10,000 Brisbane supporters (maybe up to 12,000). It’s clearly a really strong neutral roll up that will give it the leg up from 60,000 to 70,000 ish. It’s become much bigger than a good contest between Richmond V Brisbane now.. As that Hawthorn V Sydney match referenced by Hawkk just above..

To get 70k it needs the AFL and mcc neutrals to rock up.

With it a finals "who plays who" decider, and the last game before the bye, we may get a decent turnout from them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it depends on the weather... It will have strong pre sales. Also, given it’s setting up as a potential GF dress rehearsal i don’t think many will be deterred by possible showers on the day. Having said that, to draw 70,000 it needs all possible engines firing... It already basically does!
It will be all about the weather a bad day and the crowds will drop a lot.

AFL

The AFL had a poor round 22, recording its second-lowest round total for 2019 with 3.026 million viewers switching on over the weekend.

85.59 million viewers have tuned into the AFL this home and away season with the average broadcast reaching 453,000 viewers. When including AFLW, AFLX and the JLT Series, 91.8 million viewers have switched on to professional Australian football in 2019.

Seven last week announced in its annual report that at the close of the financial year that its AFL ratings were up 10% at the end of the fiscal year compared to the same time last year. The Age reported on Friday that AFL ratings are up 7% on the same time as last year.

The highest rating AFL game of the round was Friday nights Demons v Swans game which attracted 633,000 viewers. It was also the highest drawing AFL game on the Seven Network with 496,000 viewers.

The highest rating game on Foxtel was Sunday afternoons Richmond v West Coast clash with 274,000 people tuning in.

On Saturday the SANFL rated 13,000 in Adelaide, while the WAFL had 24,000 viewers in Perth. On Sunday, the VFL had 30,000 viewers in Melbourne.

AFL members hasn't quite sold out, and I doubt it will. Its one of Collingwood's reserve matches, so it increases the chance of Member no shows.

Hopefully it gets to 80k, it absolutely deserves it. I'm really worried about how sparse the Ponsford stand will be though. Collingwood home games tend to have a large amount of no shows every week.

What a surprise a Richmond supporter having ago at Collingwood’s attendance’s. You do realise that Collingwood are first in attendance’s. All general admission is full except for Q 1-3 which I think is for walk up! The all other tickets are sold out and reserved for Collingwood members and Essendon away members. The MCC is predicting 83,000 and with it being a nice night could easily be 85,000!!! Collingwood fans will be out in force last home game for the season.

After tonight’s game Collingwood will break the 1.2 million barrier for the 6th time during the home and away season. Collingwood is the only club to have broken 1.2 million and hold the top 6 biggest home and away attendance records of all time

What a surprise a Richmond supporter having ago at Collingwood’s attendance’s. You do realise that Collingwood are first in attendance’s. All general admission is full except for Q 1-3 which I think is for walk up! The all other tickets are sold out and reserved for Collingwood members and Essendon away members. The MCC is predicting 83,000 and with it being a nice night could easily be 85,000!!! Collingwood fans will be out in force last home game for the season.

After tonight’s game Collingwood will break the 1.2 million barrier for the 6th time during the home and away season. Collingwood is the only club to have broken 1.2 million and hold the top 6 biggest home and away attendance records of all time
Collingwood are the biggest club with the biggest attendances. Do I need to stick that at the start of every post I ever make about Collingwood?

The AFL members didn't sell out, though I expect the GA to be full tonight anyway.

Reserve seat members not showing up is an issue every club has to deal with, and it always drags crowds down at big matches.

Collingwood are the biggest club with the biggest attendances. Do I need to stick that at the start of every post I ever make about Collingwood?

The AFL members didn't sell out, though I expect the GA to be full tonight anyway.

Reserve seat members not showing up is an issue every club has to deal with, and it always drags crowds down at big matches.

With Rich, Coll, Ess, Haw (and soon Carl) all with 80,000 club members no-shows is a problem for all clubs.

ANZAC Day and Round 1 aside the effective sell-out mark for regular home and away games is probably 84,000 / 85,000

For the Richmond v Brisbane game the MCC have opened bays Q37 to Q40 for General Public GA. They rarely do this for AFL matches. This game must have a large amount of GA tickets pre purchased.
They did it for the Essendon V Sydney game about 6 weeks ago (crowd:60,199). Those bays were approx 70% full on the day with GA users.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back