2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1) the wrong side of the river for most people

2)It is not next door to any highway

3) most importantly, it is in a residential area with no parking

4) Not much room for growth
Would a new tassie team build a new stadium somewhere else?
Is the capacity at Hobart big enough?

1) the wrong side of the river for most people

2)It is not next door to any highway

3) most importantly, it is in a residential area with no parking

4) Not much room for growth

Yep I agree it is on the wrong side of the city and wrong position. It would be like having the MCG at Footscray.
Its a pity central located North Hobart Oval wasnt developed more but I suppose its just too small for AFL footy.

The taskforce doing our bid are proposing to build a 30000 allseater at Macquarie point right next to the city centre.
That would be a great size. Would probably fill out when playing the Big Vic Clubs

Would a new tassie team build a new stadium somewhere else?
Is the capacity at Hobart big enough?

I do wonder how much Blundstone arena hurts the attendance of Hobart matches. Would be impossible to tell but IMO, Launny is destroying Hobarts crowds atm on all measures.

I do wonder how much Blundstone arena hurts the attendance of Hobart matches. Would be impossible to tell but IMO, Launny is destroying Hobarts crowds atm on all measures.
I
Thats a bad crowd for any AFL match!
Esp one in a supposed football heartland.This is the sort of crowd you would expect in Cairns or Darwin not Hobart!
That was the crowd at the gold coast game,allthough the Hobart game only got 8200.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7610 is a rort. That is one in every 3 seats taken. That stadium wasnt even a quarter full. Lucky to be 4k there and the old tv side was full excuse doesnt fly because they showed that side empty too. The AFL are simply covering up the failure of gold coast. Its a cemetery for any sport. A league failed there, nrl is struggling and afl is failing. Why bother.

7610 is a rort. That is one in every 3 seats taken. That stadium wasnt even a quarter full. Lucky to be 4k there and the old tv side was full excuse doesnt fly because they showed that side empty too. The AFL are simply covering up the failure of gold coast. Its a cemetery for any sport. A league failed there, nrl is struggling and afl is failing. Why bother.

Why not? The AFL is making plenty of money elsewhere. Grassroots footy is getting a boost. One day they will improve on field and the crowds will improve

Because in 20 years time there will be a 30 year old football club on the Gold coast in the meanwhile a dozen or more plastic a league franchises will come and go.

Seriously , what relevance is the a league to the AFL? It's total turnover is not much more than either west coasts or collingwoods

For anyone that knows Hobart:

Looking on Google Maps, could TCA oval or somewhere in that precinct be upgraded into a boutique 30,000 seat stadium?

For anyone that knows Hobart:

Looking on Google Maps, could TCA oval or somewhere in that precinct be upgraded into a boutique 30,000 seat stadium?

A stadium on the Domain would be grand. It is a giant hill very close to Hobart proper and relatively empty.

The issues are the fact it is a giant hill. It is always windy, it is a steep climb and it doesn't have much flat land which isn't used. It is also much-loved parkland mostly. It should be mentioned that the A-league big wanted to build a stadium fairly close to the Domain on the Brooker but changed their mind last min.

The TCA itself is a heritage building and the former headquarters of Tassie cricket before the move to Boot park. It was outdated in the 50's.

A long time ago(and someone who is older might be able to correct me), the plan was to build a 25-30K stadium out in Glenorchy near the showgrounds where the current Bunnings is. But alas, forward, authority-thinking, in Tasmania has meant that site is now gone.

The issues are the fact it is a giant hill.
The TCA itself is a heritage building and the former headquarters of Tassie cricket before the move to Boot park. It was outdated in the 50's.
Hmm those two issues do present some challenges, I guess it explains why that area has remained undeveloped over time.

It's a shame Hobart doesn't have the land close to the CBD (or easily reachable close by) for a stadium.

If the Showgrounds option were to become avaliable again, do you think Hobart would need to build some supporting infrastructure (like Light Rail, or Busses) to support it?

Th
A stadium on the Domain would be grand. It is a giant hill very close to Hobart proper and relatively empty.

The issues are the fact it is a giant hill. It is always windy, it is a steep climb and it doesn't have much flat land which isn't used. It is also much-loved parkland mostly. It should be mentioned that the A-league big wanted to build a stadium fairly close to the Domain on the Brooker but changed their mind last min.

A long time ago(and someone who is older might be able to correct me), the plan was to build a 25-30K stadium out in Glenorchy near the showgrounds where the current Bunnings is. But alas, forward, authority-thinking, in Tasmania has meant that site is now gone.
Hmm those two issues do present some challenges, I guess it explains why that area has remained undeveloped over time.

It's a shame Hobart doesn't have the land close to the CBD (or easily reachable close by) for a stadium.

If the Showgrounds option were to become avaliable again, do you think Hobart would need to build some supporting infrastructure (like Light Rail, or Busses) to support it?
Macquarie point is the place they are proposing to build a 30000 all seater stadium,it ideally needs to be a roofed stadium because some days can be very cold and windy near the derwent.A number of cities around the world that have sports stadiums in cold climates have had roofed stadiums built and crowds have become considerably bigger due to having a sheltered stadium.

Macquarie point is the place they are proposing to build a 30000 all seater stadium,it ideally needs to be a roofed stadium because some days can be very cold and windy near the derwent.
Looks like a good spot for a stadium. How feasible is a redevelopment of the whole precinct with parkland, pubs etc, or would it look like Wellington Stadium in the middle of a working port:

i more meant why bother faking crowd numbers? Noone here is stupid enough to believe 7610 fans were there. Unless they counted each arm and leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back