2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

The lack of refurbishment and upgrades to the Gabba cost it hosting a test match against India last summer. The Queensland government won’t cop that again and I think further improvements the venue are a guarantee.

A refurbishment plan was announced last year: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...upgrade-plans-move-ahead-20180819-p4zyeo.html

Stage 1 signed off two months ago: https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/...o-the-gabba-secures-first-ashes-test-of-2021/

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Yes, but attendances dropped off last year for the BBL in the whole league. mainly due to the number of games and length of the season. If the BBL catches fire again, then the attendances will rise to capacity.

I don't think the Gabba should be majorly upgraded, as the government must think of the future(Olympic future) and what its plans are. And there is nothing wrong with sell-outs.

But it is a bit short-handed to use just one season to say the Heat didn't match up to your 90% capacity rating when they nearly averaged it the previous 2 years out of 3. But the BBL season used to only go for 4-5 Home games.

Dear god, that first link contains this beauty of a quote from the Qld Sport Minister:

“This business case will ensure that the Gabba stadium is re-elevated to the number one cricket and AFL stadium in the world,”

Re-elevated? Can anyone point me to the first time that the Gabba fit that description?

Plus this renovation would have to be pretty far reaching for the Gabba to get anywhere near the MCG, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium to name just three.

Dear god, that first link contains this beauty of a quote from the Qld Sport Minister:

Re-elevated? Can anyone point me to the first time that the Gabba fit that description?

Plus this renovation would have to be pretty far reaching for the Gabba to get anywhere near the MCG, Adelaide Oval and Perth Stadium to name just three.

my concern is $100m isn't a lot of coin, but their works are being talked up (i assumed it will cost a lot more)

with stage 1 just $35m for fan experience improvements (whatever the * that is), im concerned this will be on the cheap and cosmetic at best

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yes, but attendances dropped off last year for the BBL in the whole league. mainly due to the number of games and length of the season. If the BBL catches fire again, then the attendances will rise to capacity.

I don't think the Gabba should be majorly upgraded, as the government must think of the future(Olympic future) and what its plans are. And there is nothing wrong with sell-outs.

But it is a bit short-handed to use just one season to say the Heat didn't match up to your 90% capacity rating when they nearly averaged it the previous 2 years out of 3. But the BBL season used to only go for 4-5 Home games.

Fair comment, did BBL have a bad season or did it lose its shine ? No argument with upgrading the facility only increasing the capacity.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Interesting happenings in South East Queensland...

At the same time the Lions sold out their Qualifying Final within an hour of public release the Broncos hosted the Parramatta Eels in a defacto Elimination Final in the Friday Night lights (the Eels in many ways are pretty much the Tigers of the NRL)

The Eels are one of the biggest clubs in the NRL, perfect storm etc.

Nonetheless with cheap tickets and promotions, the Broncos drew just over 33,000 (a similar game 5 years ago probably draws 40,000)

Something is happening in South East Queensland, for the first time in 15 years the power balance is starting to shift back to the Lions.

Like the Swans in the NSW market (sorry Giant fans) the Lions are the premier brand Australian Football brand in the Queensland market. The Suns are a bit of a sideshow, and probably won’t have the reach and impact in SEQ that the Lions have.

In order to drive significant grassroots and commercial growth the Lions have a great opportunity to reassert it’s position in the 3rd largest market in Australia

Its not the lions mate

It isn the tigers

I reckon 5 k Richmond fans are making the trip minimum

Interesting happenings in South East Queensland...

At the same time the Lions sold out their Qualifying Final within an hour of public release the Broncos hosted the Parramatta Eels in a defacto Elimination Final in the Friday Night lights (the Eels in many ways are pretty much the Tigers of the NRL)

The Eels are one of the biggest clubs in the NRL, perfect storm etc.

Nonetheless with cheap tickets and promotions, the Broncos drew just over 33,000 (a similar game 5 years ago probably draws 40,000)

Something is happening in South East Queensland, for the first time in 15 years the power balance is starting to shift back to the Lions.

Like the Swans in the NSW market (sorry Giant fans) the Lions are the premier brand Australian Football brand in the Queensland market. The Suns are a bit of a sideshow, and probably won’t have the reach and impact in SEQ that the Lions have.

In order to drive significant grassroots and commercial growth the Lions have a great opportunity to reassert it’s position in the 3rd largest market in Australia
Bandwagon.

If the Suns and/or Titans started winning regularly all of the sudden they'd be getting near sellouts or sellouts as well.

Sadly how things work up here.

Can never understand the NRL not taking advantage of the AFL Bye weekend. Storm played away when there was a weekend of clear air.
Likewise, if I was the AFL I’d be playing our games when NRL aren’t on.
Working together instead of against only helps everyone in the long run

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair NRL must have thought bye weekend was following weekend

Has the AFL given any official ticket updates?

From what I can gather from the ticket sites:

The Gabba and Perth Stadium are both sold out
The MCG all but sold out, down to standing room / restricted view
Giants’ Stadium has a handful of bays with some seats available on the top level or up the very back of the ground level.

Would be amazing if we could get 4 official sell outs by game time.

Every time Giants staduim has gone less than 30-40 tickets they have released more. Hard to say as the demad is harder to gauge here. The prelim didn't sell out but GWS has more members now.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder

Giants’ Stadium has a handful of bays with some seats available on the top level or up the very back of the ground level.

The AFL usually puts out a press release saying how many tickets are left ect. Usually they put it out on the Monday before the finals. Hopefully we get one today.

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong

No restricted view left at mcg now from what I can tell. Standing should sell out too you'd think. Interesting that they asign standing tickets to particular bays, like you see at thr grand final. Not sure if theyve done this in previous finals.

Have they yet released tickets to the upper level of the stand directly opposite the cameras at gws or were they first to go?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
No restricted view left at mcg now from what I can tell. Standing should sell out too you'd think. Interesting that they asign standing tickets to particular bays, like you see at thr grand final. Not sure if theyve done this in previous finals.

Have they yet released tickets to the upper level of the stand directly opposite the cameras at gws or were they first to go?
If you select Best Available --> 1 adult, it comes up as no seats being available. Looks like an official sellout.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
An average audience of 65,000 viewers saw Seven’s prime time coverage of the SANFL Qualifying Final as Port Adelaide claimed victory over Adelaide. It was the biggest television audience for a SANFL Qualifying Final since 2017.

A peak audience of 107,000 viewers watched the 7pm clash at Adelaide Oval and the match reached 232,000viewers.

Earlier in the day an average audience of 47,000 viewers watched Norwood v Sturt in the Elimination Final at Adelaide Oval.

A peak audience of 95,000 viewers saw the Redlegs hold off the Double Blues to win by 14 points. The match reached 170,000 viewers.

Parish2McGrath

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
he AFL wishes to advise the ticket sale update for week one matches of the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals Series, as at 5.30pm Monday September 2, is as follows:

Thursday September 5 – First Elimination Final
West Coast Eagles v Essendon at Optus Stadium – Public tickets now exhausted.
Further limited public tickets may become available as a result of unused club, AFL or function seats. If available, tickets will be released via Ticketek at 10.00am AWST, Tuesday September 3.

Friday September 6 – First Qualifying Final
Geelong Cats v Collingwood at the MCG – 1500 public tickets remain available for sale.

Saturday September 7 – Second Elimination Final
GWS GIANTS v Western Bulldogs at GIANTS Stadium – 8000 public tickets remain available for sale.

Saturday September 7 – Second Qualifying Final
Brisbane Lions v Richmond at The Gabba – Public tickets now exhausted.
Further limited public tickets may become available as a result of unused club, AFL or function seats. If available, tickets will be released via Ticketek at 10.00am AEST, Tuesday September 3.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
he AFL wishes to advise the ticket sale update for week one matches of the 2019 Toyota AFL Finals Series, as at 5.30pm Monday September 2, is as follows:

Thursday September 5 – First Elimination Final
West Coast Eagles v Essendon at Optus Stadium – Public tickets now exhausted.
Further limited public tickets may become available as a result of unused club, AFL or function seats. If available, tickets will be released via Ticketek at 10.00am AWST, Tuesday September 3.

Friday September 6 – First Qualifying Final
Geelong Cats v Collingwood at the MCG – 1500 public tickets remain available for sale.

Saturday September 7 – Second Elimination Final
GWS GIANTS v Western Bulldogs at GIANTS Stadium – 8000 public tickets remain available for sale.

Saturday September 7 – Second Qualifying Final
Brisbane Lions v Richmond at The Gabba – Public tickets now exhausted.
Further limited public tickets may become available as a result of unused club, AFL or function seats. If available, tickets will be released via Ticketek at 10.00am AEST, Tuesday September 3.
Where did you get this from?

At least it means we will have more than that eagles final definitely so... thats an up...

Back