2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Im fairly convinced that the AFL counts tickets sold/distributed and not actual attendance at GWS games. There isnt 19,000 in any imagery Ive seen so far.
Yeah that is the official number weather you like it or not!
BTW Double the NRL crowd of 9000 across the road at ANZ. How good is that?

Total for Week 1 - 209,348.

This is the 19th biggest total for Week 1 and the 17th biggest out of the 26 years of a final 8 system.

Obviously the relatively low total is due to finals being hosted at 2 of the 3 smallest possible finals venues. All games this week were well attended, including a record at the Gabba and the 3rd largest Perth Stadium crowd.

Incidentally, the Geel/Coll game was the 10th game out of the last 12 finals at the MCG to exceed 90k.

It took 32 games to get the previous 10 90k+ finals and 49 and 53 to get the ones before that.

We haven't seen a run of big finals crowds like this since the 1970s.

Will be interesting to see the Geel/WC crowd next week, then hopefully both Prelims to be 90k as well.

Im fairly convinced that the AFL counts tickets sold/distributed and not actual attendance at GWS games. There isnt 19,000 in any imagery Ive seen so far.

You reckon? It holds 24k, I can see 5k empty seats being a pretty realistic estimate. It certainly looked a lot more than the 15k that was at the final against West Coast.

It was probably a bit more than I was expecting, although I only thought about 3k Dogs fans would be there, and it was probably 6-7k.

More like 55-60k I'd think.

SF weekend is never as strong for crowds. Inevitably there is one supporter base disappointed about the QF result.

Pretty much,

Geelong’s Semi Final MCG crowds against non Victorian clubs include...

2010 - Geelong v Fremantle 45,096
2013 - Geelong v Port Adelaide 52,722
2017 - Geelong v Sydney 55,524

The biggest Geelong MCG finals crowd against a non Victorian team going back to 1992 was 59,455 for a Preliminary Final against West Coast in 2011 (day fixture)

In the Herald Sun the AFL were hopeful that the Geelong v West Coast game could draw 80,000 but I really don’t see it

60,000 would be excellent, especially for a Friday Night fixture

The two PF’s could be monster crowds especially if it’s Richmond v Geelong and Collingwood v Brisbane Lions

If it was Rich v WCE and Coll v BL in that hypothetical I wonder which game would be the Series Ticket Game?

B2B 90k would be a lock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the Cats/WC crowd will be down on expectations because of all the negativity from Geelong about it not being at KP and that filtering through to its fans.

Wonder if the Cats/WC crowd will be down on expectations because of all the negativity from Geelong about it not being at KP and that filtering through to its fans.

I hope they get smacked too cos of Chris Scott's whinging

Also, if west coast some how won through the prelim and it was a repeat gf of last year they would be making their third cross continent trip in as many weeks.

Brisbane v Richmond: 779K Metro
GWS v Bulldogs: 543K Metro

Cricket: S1: 603K Metro
S2: 511K Metro

They haven't released the breakdown yet.

124k in brisbane...pretty good given the ashes and NRL on at the same time and it was a bit of a blow out in the end. NRL got 164k national metro on FTA.....it got smashed by the ashes in Sydney and brisbane despite it getting the primary CH 9 hd channel!
NRL was the most nothing game ever, Titans guaranteed last v Dragons guaranteed second last.

Having said that Channel 7 do need to put more of our games on the main channel next season. All 7.25pm Saturdays and 3.20pm Sundays would be a good start

Remove this Banner Ad

Back