2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have noticed in recent years audiences in Adelaide and Perth have dropped a quite a bit. If the local teams don't perform well, the interest drops.

Yeah, without checking previous years numbers, under 300k does seem to be pretty bad.

In the end i'd imagine Channel 7 will probably measure the 1st half numbers against other years before panicking about it - I can thoroughly understand why someone would have switched off at half time, or at best 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter. That's obviously going to impact the average audience.

10 minutes into the third quarter is when I turned off!

Does seem strange though that the drop off in Adelaide and Perth would be disproportionate to Brisbane's

10 minutes into the third quarter is when I turned off!

Does seem strange though that the drop off in Adelaide and Perth would be disproportionate to Brisbane's

Yeah, maybe, although I don't think it's unusual for a grand final. Might have something to do with more grand final functions in Perth and Adelaide so less people are watching it at home.

Courtesy of The Wookie above:

The 2019 AFL Grand Final was a blowout, and this reflected in its TV ratings with only 2.939 million folks switching on - the lowest national tv audience since 2003, and the lowest metro tv ratings since the 1993 Grand Final.The match failed to gain much traction in Sydney, while elsewhere the one sided match caused viewers to switch off early in the peace.

Bit of work to be done in NSW.

The 2019 AFL Grand Final was a blowout, and this reflected in its TV ratings with only 2.939 million folks switching on - the lowest national tv audience since 2003, and the lowest metro tv ratings since the 1993 Grand Final.The match failed to gain much traction in Sydney, while elsewhere the one sided match caused viewers to switch off early in the peace.

With GWS and a blow out grand final maybe. Swans grand finals have drawn plenty.

More people watched on average in Sydney than any other city outside of Melbourne...Brisbane was third and both Sydney and Brisbane had more viewers than last year..... it was the tradition cities whose ratings collapsed....

More people watched on average in Sydney than any other city outside of Melbourne...Brisbane was third and both Sydney and Brisbane had more viewers than last year..... it was the tradition cities whose ratings collapsed....

View attachment 755917
As has been noted Sydney and Brisbane were good it was Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide that dropped off The blowout after half time wouldnt have helped either. Bring on the Twilight GF next year.

As has been noted Sydney and Brisbane were good it was Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide that dropped off The blowout after half time wouldnt have helped either. Bring on the Twilight GF next year.
Shouldn't a Sydney team in GF have resulted in a much larger TV audience there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A sobering thought here is that less than 12% of the Australian population watched the grand final.
Less than 1 in 8

A sobering thought here is that less than 12% of the Australian population watched the grand final.
Less than 1 in 8

The ratings don't include people under 14 for a start (~20% of the population)

It is also an average (rather than a reach) of a survey that almost certainly underestimates the number of people watching

Roy Morgan's survey from a couple of years ago suggests that almost half the population watched the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back