2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's we? Can you not use "we" please for clarity's sake? "We" can't tell whether you are saying "we" pretending to be a football fan or "we" referring to your rugby league supporting brother in law

If you live in Vic footy is far more ingrained in day to day life than any sport in Sydney. No need to feel insecure, though it is incomprehensible for many who have spent their life in Melbourne.

Any breakdown more generally on peaks?
1. SEN Radio 2.10 J. Heverin Program

Sam Duncan, a Lecturer on MSM, said "the Reach was about 6.13 million...the best since 2016".
He also said that because the game was so one sided after the first qtr, many people switched off, but probably later flicked back on briefly, to check the scores, then swithched off again (because it was still so one sided).

The AFL GF is played on Sat. afternoons, a graveyard for Ratings (vast majority not watching TV- many people outside, shopping, doing other things etc.). In contrast, the NRL GF is played in Prime Time, evenings.

2. I am surprised there is not far more comment, on BF & in the MSM, re the Roy Morgan GF viewing polls. These polls, over numerous GF's, reveal the AFL GF is watched by FAR greater nos. than that recorded by the TV Rating boxes etc- nearly triple! The Roy Morgan polls capture the vast nos. of people watching in packed pubs, bars, & cafes around Australia; &, also, the huge nos. of people attending traditional, GF BBQ parties, in private homes. (Anecdotally, many more females attend these home GF BBQ parties, than watch at pubs & bars).

Roy Morgan polls, also, consistently reveal the AFL GF's easily outrate NRL GF's, despite the latter played in Prime Time.

Given the Morgan polls show the true, vast nos. watching the AFL GF, is it correct there would be significantly more if the GF was held in the twilight/evening? Would as many very young children watch an evening GF- they tire/go to bed early?

3. Would the ability and/or inclination to have a half time fun "footy kick-around", hand ball contests etc. (with the gals!) be minimised with a twilight/evening GF?
With a twilight/evening GF, would less GR AF clubs have their popular & big GF Family Day viewing functions?

If there was a twilight/evening GF, would many people start drinking in the afternoon, well before it started? And, possibly, some might become "anti-sociable"; or less appreciative of the GF, if intoxicated?

AFL officials have alluded, over many years, they, correctly, consider these GR GF traditions are IMPORTANT, & are a reason why the GF remains in its traditional day timeslot. Do we want to lose these important traditions?

Last edited:
All entertainments are better suited to night time and the AFL as a massive sporting entertaInment and the biggest sport locally is no different.

Ever been to an outdoor concert during the day? its crap.

If day matches are the way to go then why are nearly all the other AFL finals matches not played during the day?

The AFL has to promote its "product" Australian Football in the best possible way and maximize ratings to keep getting the big coming bucks from the TV companies in order to support the total Australian Football community and if that means playing at night so be it!.

The AFL has to promote its "product" Australian Football in the best possible way and maximize[Size of twilight ratings' increase? & evening?] ratings to keep getting the big coming bucks[How much extra $ would twilight & evening GF deliver?] from the TV companies in order to support the total Australian Football community and if that means playing at night so be it!.
1. In my post #3533 above, in point 2, it is clear, from the Roy Morgan poll, that the AFL actual Ratings are MUCH higher (double to nearly triple) than the TV boxes etc are picking up. This is, almost certainly, because the Morgan poll picks up the millions who watch at packed pubs, private home big parties, BBQ's etc. around Australia watching the GF. Do you agree?

2. Anecdotally, I am aware of vast nos. of people who watch the GF (at the GF home parties/BBQ's), who very rarely watch AFL games- because the GF party is a daytime social occasion & kids are watching AND because there is not much heavy drinking of alcohol. Many of these very "casual" fans would probably not watch a twilight or evening GF if it was more "boozy"/young kids go to bed. Do you agree?

3. If one accepts the argument that the daytime GF should be moved, because it would attract, allegedly, higher ratings, then it is inevitable the GF would become an evening GF. Do you agree?

4. Evening games in Melb. sometimes are dew-affected, which would cause the ball to become wet/more slippery. Skills, therefore, are affected, leading to a poorer spectacle. Do you agree?

5. Despite continuous pressure, over many years, from broadcasters to move to a twilight or evening GF, the AFL has refused. Why?

Do you (& Prince Imperial & Noobie Pie) care to answer these points 1-5, & my highlights, in your quote, above; & my points 2-3 in my post #3533 above?

Last edited:
I'll give it a crack, BBT

1. In my post #3533 above, in point 2, it is clear, from the Roy Morgan poll, that the AFL actual Ratings are MUCH higher (double to nearly triple) than the TV boxes etc are picking up. This is, almost certainly, because the Morgan poll picks up the millions who watch at packed pubs, private home big parties, BBQ's etc. around Australia watching the GF. Do you agree?

Yep, I think the ratings understate GF audiences

2. Anecdotally, I am aware of vast nos. of people who watch the GF (at the GF home parties/BBQ's), who very rarely watch AFL games- because the GF party is a daytime social occasion & kids are watching AND because there is not much heavy drinking of alcohol. Many of these very "casual" fans would probably not watch a twilight or evening GF if it was more "boozy"/young kids go to bed. Do you agree?

Yes, the Roy Morgan captures significant numbers that watched at mates houses / pubs / bbqs

I find the alcohol related arguments are ridiculous. Kids are just as likely to watch twilight GFs

I don't agree that there is some "casual viewer" that would not watch a twilight gf. There would be a net increase in the number of people who could watch because of day time work obligations etc...

3. If one accepts the argument that the daytime GF should be moved, because it would attract, allegedly, higher ratings, then it is inevitable the GF would become an evening GF. Do you agree?

No I don't. The 2016 and 2017 twilight prelims I'm pretty sure are the highest recent rated finals (non-GF). I think twilight is ideal. FOr a start, kids mighten be able to watch night gfs

4. Evening games in Melb. sometimes are dew-affected, which would cause the ball to become wet/more slippery. Skills, therefore, are affected, leading to a poorer spectacle. Do you agree?

I don't think there is any evidence that twilight games have materially higher skill errors than day games. A majority of matches during the season are twilight / night

5. Despite continuous pressure, over many years, from broadcasters to move to a twilight or evening GF, the AFL has refused. Why?

Do you (& Prince Imperial & Noobie Pie) care to answer these points 1-5, & my highlights, in your quote, above; & my points 2-3 in my post #3533 above?

The AFL have 'refused" because they perceive large resistance to the change and such a change would involve expending considerable "political capital".
The AFL have been kite flying and massaging this into existence for over a decade. I wish they just got on with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL ratings no good, even on a Sunday night

Grand final ratings disaster for Channel 9

The NRL grand final wasn’t just a disaster for the league with the ongoing referee scandal — it turned out to be a flop for host broadcaster Channel 9 as well.
The controversial clash between the Sydney Roosters and the Canberra Raiders registered a national five city metro viewing audience of 1.866 million people, marking the first time that figure has dropped below two million since OzTam launched in 2003.
Erin Molan and Darren Lockyer were part of the Channel 9 team.
Last year’s grand final between the Roosters and Melbourne Storm attracted 2.14 million five city metro viewers with the previous lowest decider match between Melbourne and Manly Sea Eagles in 2008 registering 2.05 million viewers.

The NRL disaster matched the similarly down ratings for the AFL grand final last week, which dropped 20 per cent to produce the lowest audience in 26 years with 2.19 million.
“It is partly due to the continuing downward trend of free-to-air TV audiences,” commentator and Mediaweek editor James Manning said.

“People used to think sport would withstand that trend but it hasn’t. It is also because the Raiders and the Roosters don’t have a large supporter base.”
Channel 9’s ratings were down on last year.
Breaking down the viewership figures, the biggest TV audience was in Sydney with 832,000 people tuning in compared to 892,000 in 2018. Melbourne suffered the biggest drop with 320,000 viewers this year, compared to 551,000 last year.
There was a lot of criticism of the content too.
Mal Meninga blowing the horn at the start of the Viking clap featured only briefly while presenter James Bracey talked as players ran on to the field.
Some of the on-field interviews after the match also drew criticism, including an awkward moment when Darren Lockyer asked Roosters star Brett Morris what it was like playing in back-to-back grand finals when it was actually his first season with the team.

Who's we? Can you not use "we" please for clarity's sake? "We" can't tell whether you are saying "we" pretending to be a football fan or "we" referring to your rugby league supporting brother in law
Football is AFL in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
Football is NRL in Sydney and Brisbane

A total of 5.67 million people in China watched Richmond hammer Greater Western Sydney by 89 points at the MCG on September 28.

The Shanghai Media Group (average of 2.852 million, up from 2.415m in 2018) and Guangzhou TV (2.589m, up from 2.503m) broadcast the Grand Final on free-to-air television in China, while Tencent and BestTV showed the game on streaming platforms.

There was also strong interest in the lead-up to the decider, with up to 1.36 million people tuning in to each week of the finals.

The centrepiece of the AFL's China strategy is the annual game featuring Port Adelaide, which this year was watched by 4.01 million people in China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back