Competitions 2019 AFL Draft Closest to the Pin..... Can you do a Wellsy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuohy bench, Henry in the two's or FP.

Still same problem of 8 defenders is too many then dont need one on the bench most of the game.
Coaches rate Henry i cant see him being dropped unless he becomes a fwd.
I rate Gould but i dont really see a spot for him short or long term.

Still same problem of 8 defenders is too many then dont need one on the bench most of the game.

I could make the same negative case for why we shouldn't draft Flanders.

I could make the same negative case for why we shouldn't draft Flanders.

Really? Our mids are much older than our defenders so i see a spot for him there.

I see Henry's future as a forward! If he was in this years draft he would go first round IMO. He has all the attributes of any mid size forward in the draft and is a proven AFL level player (can handle the demands).

His time up forward as a very raw kid was an eye opener for me. He now has the necessary experience in defence on mid size forwards to be a handful up forward himself. Henry is one of they keys to the big improvement we need this year.

Won't be beating up U18 kids any more, now it's his turn.
He's only played against schoolboys.

So i take it you wouldnt draft anyone who hasnt played against men then?

I Just don't get carried away with guys that haven't,.. and atm Neddy's done nothing in that regard.
He's had it soft in a strong Country squad.
I think Rantall's the most upside centreman in the draft with C Stephens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Henry's future as a forward! If he was in this years draft he would go first round IMO. He has all the attributes of any mid size forward in the draft and is a proven AFL level player (can handle the demands).

His time up forward as a very raw kid was an eye opener for me. He now has the necessary experience in defence on mid size forwards to be a handful up forward himself. Henry is one of they keys to the big improvement we need this year.

Kicking?

I cant see us recruiting without balancing need and desire. In an ideal world Henry struggles for position as he has limitations ..thats probably why he was a rookie but what he does well is what will see him keep getting games imo. He plays tall for his size.

It’s a funny point.. as they then posters get on the backs of players that have played the “men” that don’t adjust after one season of playing AFL.

Point is.. the bigger ones will stand out vs the kids in the junior comps.. and they all will find it harder stepping up to AFL conditions. Some adjust faster than others.

And every ten years or so the Selwood/ Walsh unicorns pop up to break the mold. But for the rest.. you just have to give them time - and each one is different.
Go Catters

He will be a lead up type third tall IMO.
Kicking is not brilliant but is good enough for that role IMO. His kicking will improve as it becomes a focus. Clever kid this one.
I can see him getting the ball but without improving his kicking he will struggle be weighed down by conversion issues.. not a long kick either. I wonder is if he would be overly reliant on his marking but all players have their issues.

But then Krueger comes in having played SANFL vs men and is still taking time.

Point is - kids are gonna take time and each one is different - who and what they played is no guarantee of being more prepared when they arrive. They are all gonna take time.

Go Catters

There have been some phenominal perfromances of u18s in the SAFL that havnt transferred over. Aish, Gibbs, toumpas etc. I would be happy to take gould but don't try and pretend he is a better prospect than others based on his SAFL form. I might be biased but WAFL transferrs over a lot better than SAFL form

It’s a funny point.. as they then posters get on the backs of players that have played the “men” that don’t adjust after one season of playing AFL.

Point is.. the bigger ones will stand out vs the kids in the junior comps.. and they all will find it harder stepping up to AFL conditions. Some adjust faster than others.

And every ten years or so the Selwood/ Walsh unicorns pop up to break the mold. But for the rest.. you just have to give them time - and each one is different.
Go Catters
Its seems cyclical ... the talent scouts weant away from that type I think it was players like Banik who looked like men against boys that sort of divert clubs towards future development..

Go Catters

If the bigger stronger ones have already stepped up successfully playing against men although only 18, surely that's further proof of their superiority over others yet untried.
Tim Watson for example was exceptional in that regard as l believe so is Gould.

One who interested me was Elijah Taylor maybe P36, might be a bit green but they reckon he's extremely talented fwd.

Last edited:
But then Krueger comes in having played SANFL vs men and is still taking time.

Point is - kids are gonna take time and each one is different - who and what they played is no guarantee of being more prepared when they arrive. They are all gonna take time.

Go Catters

He was a senior already playing reserves and got some games later in the year and kicked a few.
Hardly an 18 year old playing quality senior football 15 games straight like Gould.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back